Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short texts

Options
  • 23-09-2004 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭

I have a Sharp GX10 and I can only seem to recieve "short" text messages (i.e. less than 160 characters). I would have thought that a new-ish (well, a few years old) phone would be able to recieve a longer message (it can send 1024 characters).

Could this be a problem with my SIM card, or is there some settings on the phone that I need to change to recieve longer messages?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Isn't there 330 chars in a txtx message..?
    how old is your sim card, my 086 simcard is very old, still has digifone on is on the sim! but never had problems using it in new phones..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

SMS text messages are up to 160 chars each.
    Some (most?) phones will split your message into two or more messages when you exceed 160 characters.

http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/sms/intro.shtml#1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Doublezero8

daymobrew wrote:
    SMS text messages are up to 160 chars each.
    Some (most?) phones will split your message into two or more messages when you exceed 160 characters.

http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/sms/intro.shtml#1

Sharp GX-10 can rec messages over 160 character no problem. Your phone might have an old software version.

You can tell the software version with the code *01763*8371#

My phone is currently using A02-004-0056-GX10.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

My phone is currently using A02-004-0056-GX10.

Mine says:
    A02-002-0125-GX10
    2002/10/10 10:23:44

How do I update?

Advertisement