Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website design - legal considerations

Options
  • 23-09-2004 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭

If I were to design a website for somebody, I would say cash on delivery is the fairest option for both parties. But at time of supply, I am already out of pocket for the domain and hosting. If they stiff me at this point, can I take the site offline and refuse to transfer control of the domain? Could I legally put up a holding page saying "This site is offline until the business owner pays us what he owes"? Would the implications be different for a .ie name and a dot com name? I know that you need to prove ownership of a name to get a .ie domain, whereas any plonker can get any .com name.

This is a hypothetical situation, but I am asked to do a site for a friend of a friend once in a blue moon, and was wondering what my options would be in this scenario. Odds are, I'll be stiffed at some point.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In that theoretical situation, the domain is in your name (or should be if you paid for it), so you have control of it, you can refuse to transfer it. Putting a notice about the financial situation between you and the client is poor practice, very unprofessional, could even land you in legal trouble. Probably best to have something like; "This Domain held by <your name>. The web site is unavailable".

If they want a .ie I would always make them pay up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭musician.ie

Yeah, demanding .ie money upfront makes makes sense. If I get stiffed on a dot com its only a tenner down the drain. Incidentally, the message I suggested was intended to be a little tongue in cheek - I wouldn't be so mercenary.

Incidentally have you ever been stiffed after doing a lot of work on a site? If so, how'd you deal with it?

Advertisement