Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Beach

Options
  • 31-01-2000 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭

Anyone else looking forward to this one as much as I am?

Completely ignoring Mr DiCaprio (all the hatred directed at him is unfounded, to my mind; he's not a bad actor by any measure or means) being in it, the fact that it's directed by the chap who did Trainspotting can only be a good thing... And the novel its based on is a superb exercise in well-written trippiness...

Ja,
    Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭harVee

shame they had to destroy a whole fu(king beach in order to make it
    harVey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

yeah looking forward to it myself, it seems like Lord of the flies mixed with trainspotting and a dash of the basketball diaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Thrasher

..... I was thinking more in the lines of Robinson Crusoe with a dash of C0cktail.

[This message has been edited by Thrasher (edited 04-02-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

yeah, but ****tail had Elizabeth Shue in it. She's great. My friend Rory has pic... Anyway. The Beach should be great, even if the All Saints video just looks cheap and crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

Yes Kevin......I dooooo have pictures of that flamboyant temptress...and why not i might add. Anyway...I saw the BEACH on holidays....at least i think it was the beach........It was about these two guys who go to an island to stay with their boss......the boss gets killed....and not wanting to ruin/cut their holiday short...pretend he's alive....TERRIFYING!!!!!

tct

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

I saw that too but The Beach 2 was even better, like all sequels in fact...

Need I mention,

Police Acadamey 2! (the best one)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

Yeah...I totaly agree with u el pres......I mean....think about it....they could make a sequel to that!!!!!......OR even to that film..ROCKY
    tct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Swinga

yes harvee, you are right. the corporate berguoise bästards tore up an entire, pristine beach in indonesia, just to make this film. and that aside, if you ask me, it looks like shït

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

we hate caprio cos he's a crap actor and a git! How can that be unfounded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I dunno where this idea that they destroyed a beach to make the movie comes from; fact is, Fox spent literally millions on cleaning up the set after they used it, with the result that the beach is now in exactly the same pristine condition it was in when they got there.

(And as for diCaprio... he's a pretty damned good actor, in my books. He hasn't been in many movies that have really tested him, mind; the Basketball Diaries was probably his best performance, although he didn't do half badly in Romeo and Juliet. To the allegation that he's a git... Why? Because he has loads of money and millions of chicks want to fvck him? Jealousy! tongue.gif )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I have to agree with Shinji there...
    Basketball Diaries was a great film, and LeoDiCap filled the role pretty well.

I haven't seen the Beach yet, since most of you have probably seen it by now...
    What's it like?

[This message has been edited by Dead{o}Santa (edited 07-03-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

So nobody has actually seen it ? Well I have and its alright, maybe good. Thing is I'd just read the book so you know how that goes - its hard to judge both.
    Leonardo is the spittin' image of
    Billy Kennedy off Neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

You watch neighbours?!?!?!??!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SHADOW

Gota say that I enjoyed it!
    Story line was ok
    The actress in Q was 'sweet'
    Good Soundtrack
    Very noice visually
    generally enjoyable...

I wouldn't mind goin to Thailand as a result of this film tho...

Shad...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I really liked it - thought Leo did a good job when he lost the plot for a while. A real sense of evil came from the guy.
    Story was quite good.
    Sound and Visuals were splendid.

All in all...
    ...well worth a look

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~davitt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

TCT, the film ure thinking of is weekend at bernies i think, their boss dies but they stay in the beach house and keep their boss with them.

best part was the woman, who took the dead boss into the bedroom for THREE HOURS and came down exhausted, hehe, lol
    brilliant
    please correct me if im wrong!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭tr1n1ty

Personally I thought it was rubbish, it was lucky that I had sweeties and stuff to occupy me otherwise I'd have been bored out of my mind. Admittedly, the beach looked beautiful but DiCaprio just doesn't do it for me.

To Infinity and Beyond!

Advertisement