Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the talented mr ripley

Options
  • 02-03-2000 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

so long and so boring, Gwenth Paltrow dosn't even get her tits out again. Several people actually fell asleep.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Incisive as ever....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭DaBounca

Talented Mr.Ripley is so crap,
    the bloke isnt even talented.
    the trailors make the film out to be so different,i expected an exciting,twisted,takes peoples lives over kind of guy,when actually all you get is a messed up puff :/
    if you havent seen it,dont go to it !

some men hold:That he's the sanest,far of all sane men- some that he's really sane but shamming mad- some that he's really mad but shamming sane- somethat he will be mad,some that he was-some that he couldn't be.But on the whole The favourite theory's somewhat like this:Da'Bounca is idiotically sane with lucid intervals of lunacy :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

I must say i prefered the other thread on this topic.

We are superfriends
    Super friends are we

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

still a few sex scenes would have made the time go by in the movie that bit quicker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

all you get is a messed up puff :/

Hmmmm. Yes, you really got the whole point of this movie, didn't you?

I did kinda say "engage brain before viewing" in the other thread... You clearly missed out on that, eh? You went in expecting a kiddie movie where Gweneth Paltrow "got her tits out". Tough. Some movies are designed for people who actually like to be challenged to think, you know.

I'm not saying it's a great movie; it isn't, but it's not bad either.

Oh, and your homophobic comments are waaaay out of line.

Ja,
    Rob

--
    [EED]Shinji -=*=- shinji@electricdeath.com
    Site Editor, http://www.utsystem.co.uk

[This message has been edited by Shinji (edited 03-03-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭DaBounca

ok,sorry
    was out of line.

still though,i cant see how you can call it a quote: "engage your brain before viewing" type film.
    and you say i missed the point of the film,well please to do tell Shinji,what is the point to this film?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sad Song

The movie was an excellently portrayed the mind of a sociopath. It showed a sociopath's ability to mimic normal behavior to accomplish what his evil inner core personality craved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

why vAGGA?, do u associate the words "sex" and "quick", or was that just in relation to the film.

either way has no one ever heard of bad publicity. i wasn't going to go and c the film, and now i bloody well have to dont i, lol,
    i have to see what was so bad

This is Commander in chief of the USS Esses, signing off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

OK, reasons why this is a film that demands your brain be switched on...

The character of Tom Ripley is a deeply complex one, and the audience's reaction to him is also complex. On one level, Ripley is a serial killer; but he doesn't kill for pleasure, or for money, but rather in desperation and self-defence. He is unfortunate; he digs himself a very deep hole, and at the end, finds out that he can't climb out of it. Is he bad? Evil? Or just a victim of circumstance?

The movie is set in the 1950s. Nowadays, we're used to discussion about sexuality; most of us probably have one or two friends who are gay (in fact, all of us do, I'm sure; it's just that some of us don't know it yet...!). The 50s was different; very repressive in this respect; you have to remember that homosexuality was still a criminal offense at the time, adding another layer of complexity to Ripley's behaviour.

Dickie Greenleaf: waster of the first order, self-serving and arrogant. What he does to Ripley is deeply unfair; he keeps him around while he amuses him, and then casts him off like a spoilt child who has found a new toy to play with. But... does he deserve what he gets? And after the murder, who is worse off, the victim or the guilty party?

The mainstay of anyone's opinion of this movie is your ability to sympathise with Tom's plight. Of course, if you're going to approach it from a homophobic point of view, you can hardly be expected to do that. But if you can, the movie becomes much more rewarding and thought-provoking.

Sometimes for a film to work, it doesn't have to entertain us; it just has to make us think.

Ja,
    Rob

--
    [EED]Shinji -=*=- shinji@electricdeath.com
    Site Editor, http://www.utsystem.co.uk

[This message has been edited by Shinji (edited 13-03-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

It made me "thing" why the hell I was watching such a crap film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

What?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Isn't it considered the height of bad manners on the net to correct someone else's spelling?

"I prob shouldn't be....."

I thought it was funny redface.gif

I prob shouldn't be taking the **** out of a typo since I make so many of them myself but, look at the last line of Shinji's post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 MarVin

As an authority on hearing about this film, the general consensus is its MUCK...
    Of Course thats only every1 else's opinions!
    tongue.gif

If I woz any Cooler, I'd be GOD!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

Marvin gaaayyyeeeee
    hehe, lol

Gweneth(isnt there a "y" in there someplace)Paltrow is ok, and i quite liked her in sliding doors which was enjoyable

as for mr. ripley, was it really THAT bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Smurfy

Yes, it was that bad!
    A terrible, terrible Film.
    So long-winded and boring in fact
    i walked out with my friends after a while and i don't often like to waste money.
    terrible stuff. not worth a look....believe me!

adieu adieu .......remember me!

eek.gifsmile.gif

Advertisement