Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promoting a website

Options
  • 23-09-2004 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

I have set up a website to sell my services(no, I'm not a web designing lapdancer), and want to promote my site. What I really need is to get a good google ranking. I'm not even mapped on google. I have placed keywords into the main page. Can someone help me? By the way, I don't want to pay any company to do it for me, as in Pay-per-click, or any of that sh*te.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭FreeHost

“A property auctioneer will say to you there are three aspects to the property market, they are location, location, location”

Similarly a Google SEO will tell you there are three things you need to know about getting ranked with Google and they are links, links, and links.

You need to get your URL into a few directories under relevant categories;
    Dmoz.org, search.ie, itdirectory.ie etc.

I have a free site up with some information http://ww2.ketec.ie and if you click on link popularity there is a tool for checking your URL against your competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Properly structured and valid HTML.
    Meta content
    Textual content

Submit to search engines and directories

Avoid FFA links pages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Getting links from popular websites seems to be the best way of boosting your Google Pagerank.

It's not always easy to do though, and it certainly takes a lot of time!

blobert wrote:
    Getting links from popular websites seems to be the best way of boosting your Google Pagerank.

It's not always easy to do though, and it certainly takes a lot of time!
    You have to be careful about it, as people are now selling links and Google knows

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

on that note ....

has anyone used fantomaster.com OR epicdb.com ?

• Advertisement

on that note ....

has anyone used fantomaster.com OR epicdb.com ?

"Top search engine positioning • cloaking + stealth technology / IP delivery • spider IPs • ip blockers • code protection • anti-spam + admin tools • tutorials "
    Sounds like they are using every imaginable dodgy technique out there to promote websites.
    Thanks to people like them legitimate websites are being penalised by search engines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭zag

Cheers lads, especially Freehost, that link you gave me is just what I need.

Thanks a million. I will let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'd recommend signing up with AdWords – it's pay per click but can be very reasonable, especially if you are limiting to Irish audiences and if your competitors aren't bidding the terms up too high. It's done wonders for our traffic.

http://adwords.google.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Divine

i think you must be pretty handicapped to be honest if you cant even get yourself mapped on google. Might be time for a career change :cool:

LoLth: big brother be watching... very close to the edge here. No use in this post, deliberately insulting, and self aggrandising. This is about as close as anyone gets to a banning. and yes, i'm in a good mood. This is exactly the kind of half brained crap we can do without. Zag, congrats on not rising to the bait of this imbecile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭zag

yes divine, I'm handicapped.......

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 mm2

To improve the chances of google's robot comming to your site, place ie links to your site wherever you can. This will both improve the chances of google spidering your site quickly (sites like boards.ie are regularly eaten up by google's "fresh bot"), and also provide backlinks which may improve your position on the search engine results page.
    A link from this page is not expected to affect pagerank though, as currently this page itsself has no page rank - though you could provide some links to it on your site .... and well then it all goes round in circles...too many circles and google notices apparantly!

LoLth: hmm, missed that little .ie link there. Unnecessary pimpage. Removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dave_g

I'd be careful about how aggressively you submit sites to big engines like Google or Yahoo, as it won't help (and may even be worse) to submit multiple times.

Best strategy AFAIK is to submit to DMOZ, submit *once* to Yahoo and Google and then set up a reciprocal links page to swap links with other *relevant* sites. If you approach other sites in your area about swapping links you'll find yourself in the Google index soon enough.

Yahoo can be a little slower on the uptake but don't pester them in case you get banned.

HTH,

D

Yahoo will accept submissions for non-commercial sites for free, but commercial ones need to pay a submission fee.

Advertisement