Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

undeserving oscar winners

• 23-09-2004 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

OK,

So i was posting on another thread but then i thought this would be a good question. Anyone think of undeserving oscar winners.

Winners where the acting is not as good as i is made out to be (see mine below), where you were gunning for the other guy/gal, where the movie annoys the crap out of you, or where you don't like the individual involved and wish he/she was shunned rather than given accolades.

Very interested in seeing some replies.

Mine is Michael Douglas for Wall Street...

Any takers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Jesus...where do i start......

I'll nominate Titanic getting best picture...... WTF? And maybe also Shakespeare in Love, as it is a ****ing joke.... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Cuba Gooding Jnr. winning over Edward Norton.

I mean, what the ****!?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Kim Basinger - LA Confidential - Best Supporting Actress - Load a Bollix
    Halle Berry - Monster's Ball - Best Actress - I'll get my tits out if it means I get an oscar.

Amazing, two undeniably good looking girls play the slut and both get an oscar. Who decides these things, its not dirty old men by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Oscars won by Guess Whos Commin To Dinner (1967) Titanic outside the tech awards. The Greatest Show on Earth (1952) Best Picture????

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

sally field, gwynneth paltrow, and any other acceptor who blubs uncontrollably should have their statue forcibly removed from them. totally undeserving

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

"Raging Bull" losing to "Ordinary People"
    "Citizen Kane" losing out in loads of categories to "How Green Was My Valley" going old ones...

But most recently, one that really really pissed me off :mad: was the pile of putrid sentimental over-acted **** that was "A Beautiful Mind" winning out over "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring". Man I detest that Crowe crap. :mad: :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ixoy wrote:
    But most recently, one that really really pissed me off :mad: was the pile of putrid sentimental over-acted **** that was "A Beautiful Mind" winning out over "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring". Man I detest that Crowe crap. :mad: :mad:

Here, here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Charlize Theron for monster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

In my opinion most Oscars are undeserved.
    This year Ben Kingsley (House of Sand and Fog )should have won best actor instead of Sean Penn.
    Renee Zellweger didnt deserve an oscar.
    Chicago didnt deserve any oscars.
    Dame Judi Dench and Gyneth Paltrow as well as Shakespeare in Love are undeserving.
    American Beauty didnt deserve any Oscars.
    The best original song every year for the last 10 years has been undeserving .
    The Oscars are a farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Braveheart, Chicago, and all the ones Orson Welles didn't win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

ixoy wrote:
    "Raging Bull" losing to "Ordinary People"
    "Citizen Kane" losing out in loads of categories to "How Green Was My Valley" going old ones...

Totally agree, though worth for Harvey Keitel's excellent comment re Goodfellas

"Marty got what he deserved, exclusion from mediocrity"

Jennifer Connolly getting best supporting actress for a beautiful mind instead of Requim for dream.

The oscars are now offically a joke, the money involved is too great, and the academy members are persued too agressively for their votes, and the fact that oh Tom Cruise gets to vote for best editor, and the SFX from titanic get to vote on best actor, is a laugh.

Seriously pay more attention to the festival circuit, read William Goldman's hype and glory his account of being a cannes judge, real informed debate about the quailty of films

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Dame Judi Dench and Gyneth Paltrow as well as Shakespeare in Love are undeserving.

Judi Dench was in Shakespeare in Love for what... 5 minutes at the most? Totally undeserved.

Marisa Tomei is usually the butt of all these undeserved-Oscar jokes. She was good-ish and all, but not Oscar worth.
    I don't bother watching the Oscars, it's a farcicle.

koneko wrote:
    Marisa Tomei is usually the butt of all these undeserved-Oscar jokes. She was good-ish and all, but not Oscar worth.

I was watching My Cousin Vinnie last weekend, just looking at the outfit she's wearing during the "My biological Clock is just ticking away" Is both bad and wrong!

I don't bother watching the Oscars, it's a farcicle.

To be said in your best Ms Helen Lovejoy voice
    "But think of the designers, WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE DESIGNERS"

Obscure Oscar trivai fact. Carrie "Look I was bloody Princess Leia Twenty Years ago" Fisher, writes most of the material....

Pause, I've just written two comments about actresses outfits, and one about Oscar trivia. If my clothes start to co-ordinated my girlfriend may start to wonder and Ioxy's gaydar may start tingling all over :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

1969: John Wayne winning Best Actor for True Grit. Over Dustin Hoffman and John Voight for Midnight Cowboy. Sentimentality at it's worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

The fact that Fellowship didn't get the Oscar bothered me at the time, but considering the volume that Return of the King got, it seems okay with hindsight.

Al Pacino finally got his Oscar for Scent of a Woman. That was not right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

mycroft wrote:
    The oscars are now offically a joke, the money involved is too great, and the academy members are persued too agressively for their votes, and the fact that oh Tom Cruise gets to vote for best editor, and the SFX from titanic get to vote on best actor, is a laugh.

Seriously pay more attention to the festival circuit, read William Goldman's hype and glory his account of being a cannes judge, real informed debate about the quailty of films

I totally agree about the oscars (I only watch it as my girlfriend loves the costumes/dresses they wear) but one has to be careful the way some of the festival award their prizes too....Cannes, that pratt QT and Moore's 9/11 tripe spring to mind!
    p

I totally agree about the oscars (I only watch it as my girlfriend loves the costumes/dresses they wear) but one has to be careful the way some of the festival award their prizes too....Cannes, that pratt QT and Moore's 9/11 tripe spring to mind!

Really funny old onion article from 1943;

"Cannes Jury award "Triuimph of the Will" Palm D'or third year running, "this film is fantastic, I'm just afraid we'll run out of wonderful things to say about", says head of jury"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Roberto Benigni's best Actor award for La Vita è bella was totally undeserved. Everything about that film stinks ... especially his schmaltzy performance and (depsite hearing good things about it beforehand) within about 20 minutes from the start of the film I already couldn't wait for it to be over! TBH I actually cheered when they
    killed him
    at the end.

When you consider Benigni was up against the likes of EdNortons powerhouse performance in American History X you'd have to wonder what goes thru the mind of the voters.

It seems to me think the basic key to the oscars is fill your film up with forced sentimentality or physically/mentally challenged characters and you're already 75% there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Pigman II wrote:

It seems to me think the basic key to the oscars is fill your film up with forced sentimentality or physically/mentally challenged characters and you're already 75% there.

Aye, Forest Gump, anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

simu wrote:
    Aye, Forest Gump, anyone?

yeah, hanks winning over day lewis for in the name of the father was nothing short of scandalous

• Advertisement

Akira Kurosawa never winning an oscar. Toshiro Mifune never winning one. Ray Liotta and Kurt Russell not getting nominated for Narc and Dark Blue respectivally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

moulin rouge only winning two when it should've swept the board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 baxterfly

E.T should have got best film over ****in Ghandi. I heard a load of heads in the academy really wanted to vote for E.T but felt they had to go for the political slant. I think E.T was better than almost any films that won in the 80s.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

E.T should have got best film over ****in Ghandi. I heard a load of heads in the academy really wanted to vote for E.T but felt they had to go for the political slant. I think E.T was better than almost any films that won in the 80s.

That was also the year that Das Boot got nominated but didn't win the best film oscar it deserved (I think).

Advertisement