Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Static Wrist Bands

Options
  • 23-09-2004 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I am getting parts for a new PC deliviered next week, P4 prescott, abit board etc etc and whats the story with anti static wrist bands? Do you have to use them or do I just make sure I don't wear my wooly jumper and rub a balloon off my hair that day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

just ground yourself on a none painted grounded emtal object before you touch your components. Remember not to place the objects down on carpet or anything. Infact would be preferable to do the work in a none carpted room but some people may call this overkill.
    Wrist bands = waste of moneys imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Bloody useless things as far as I can see :confused: Never use them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Info link:
    http://xtronics.com/reference/esd.htm

If your environment isn't grounded also then they don't make a huge difference.
    E.g. You're grounded but the table on which your components rest are charged.
    Then as soon as you pick up the component you cause a discharge.

Having a wrist strap directly to ground, without a resistor in the chain to prevent you being a lightning conductor isn't recommended.

BTW static damage doesn't always result in an instant gib. It can shorten the lifespan of a sensitive component.

An antistatic wrist band connected to a static dissipative mat, which is connected to ground through a high resistance resistor is the way to go if you're doing a lot of this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭M@lice

What I do is i plug the pc case and power supply into a wall socket with an on/off switch. This way you can keep the whole case earthed while the actual live power is off. Then just hold onto the case when your handling the components.

In general wear a single layer of clothing to prevent any sudden static build ups as well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if your wall socket doesn't have a switch (by law in the UK) you could plug in just the single large earth pin into an extension lead (not the two smaller ones)

also if you go the the gym beforehand and work up a good sweat then you're skin will conduct better :D
    though it would increase the risk of electrocution if you were doing anything stupid. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement