Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information and Communications in Japan 2004

Options
  • 23-09-2004 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Not sure how I found this, but some may find it interesting:

Information and Communications in Japan 2004

Feature: Building a Ubiquitous
    Network Society That Spreads Throughout the World

July 2004

Ministry of Public Management, Home Affairs, Posts and Telecommunications

Download .pdf here

JC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Thanks. From an aesthetical point I liked the graph on page 12. Nice enough to get printed on wall paper.

Japan is that other great Broadband country (besides Denmark) that is so far ahead, because it had no cable competition to dsl, but a regulator and a minister who were more than mere ass-wipes of the incumbent. In both countries Local Loop Unbundling was introduced early and at the lowest possible price, with great success. Their incumbents were not "encouraged" to invest in the network, they were forced to do so. To the benefit of the country and in the end also to the benefit of the incumbent ( at least in the case of Denmark/ I am not so sure about the Japanese incumbent).

Our John Doherty is just at this moment fixing the LLU pricing for Eircom at the second highest rate in Europe at €14.65. Only the other big EU Broadband looser country Luxembourg will then have a higher price.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

For those interested in how broadband got started in Japan, it might be worth having a read of this article in a Japan based business magazine dated June 2001.

Slightly more up to date (May 2003) is this presentation showing the different competing access technologies.

Advertisement