Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Static IP

• 23-09-2004 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭

My NTL IP used to change every 2 weeks or so. I have now had the same IP address since the middle of July. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

it'll change eventually. i had the same one for nearly a year until it changed a few weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Don't switch off your router (if you're using one) and you'll have a static IP ;)

Oh and hope you won't have a power loss...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

Mine changed several times in the past 3 weeks since I got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RekcaH

...hmmm... think i'll hijack this post as my issue is kinda relevant

...i'm connected on a lan (3 cpu's) with no server,which connects me to ibb...

i play cs (or atleast i want to) ... but my pings are volatile most times..
    mainly due to the other guys dl/ing from bit torrent and emule...

I want to better my ping tru splittin the bandwidth with a linux firewall with traffic settings and a standalone server ...
    and the other guy on the lan not directly connected to internet wants to get a better id on emule/bit torrent ...
    he believes a 30euro router (the router) will solve his problem by giving him a real ip ..
    but i don't think it will solve my problem as a router that cheap wont have bandwidth splittin (will it) so i'll still lose out and i'm not even sure it will solve his problem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

RekcaH wrote:
    ...hmmm... think i'll hijack this post as my issue is kinda relevant

...i'm connected on a lan (3 cpu's) with no server,which connects me to ibb...

i play cs (or atleast i want to) ... but my pings are volatile most times..
    mainly due to the other guys dl/ing from bit torrent and emule...

I want to better my ping tru splittin the bandwidth with a linux firewall with traffic settings and a standalone server ...
    and the other guy on the lan not directly connected to internet wants to get a better id on emule/bit torrent ...
    he believes a 30euro router (the router) will solve his problem by giving him a real ip ..
    but i don't think it will solve my problem as a router that cheap wont have bandwidth splittin (will it) so i'll still lose out and i'm not even sure it will solve his problem...
    Hold on - what are you using for a router now, to split the IBB signal between the 3 PCs?

A Router won't give your buddy a "real ip", but it will allow him to set up port forwarding - but if you're already using a router, why doesn't he just fix it on that?

As for "bandwidth splitting", aka "packet shaping", according to this tread from earlier this week, you can get packet shaping firmware for Linksys routers, and you should be able to get a suitable one for under €100.

• Advertisement

Hold on - what are you using for a router now, to split the IBB signal between the 3 PCs?

a 4 port hub... :/

100 euro router sounds like the job.. the price doesn't though (we're students)

would this 60euro linksys_router do the job.. more in our price range... i don't want to get a router that doesn't support traffic shaping...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

A quick google finds these people who do 3rd party firmware for linksys wireless routers that jes have for 67 yoyos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

RekcaH wrote:
    a 4 port hub... :/
    if you've just got a hub, then either you already have "real ips", or there's a router in there somewhere already. (Think about it - where do you think those "unreal ips" you're using now are coming from?)
    RekcaH wrote:
    100 euro router sounds like the job.. the price doesn't though (we're students)
    Oh yeah - poor students. Just skip one or two nights beer, and, between the 3 of you, you'll be all set.
    RekcaH wrote:
    would this 60euro linksys_router do the job.. more in our price range... i don't want to get a router that doesn't support traffic shaping...
    Go read the links I posted. As far as I can see, you need a WRT54G.

basically emule/bit torrent operates badly if you use a gateway ip (i.e connect tru another cpu) or so i'm told as i don't actually use either... the computer we connect tru on the lan is acting as a pseudo router and seems to get preference over us.. it's a p2p thing.. and seeing as we split the ibb bill i havta please everybody

i could do alot of adjusting to said guy's cpu to allow us to get better pings but we want to get a server or a router anyway so we don't connect tru a cpu that's being used everyday, it's just bad practice and a router/server will just be faster

...plz don't mention the beer issue.. it's kinda a touchy subject.. :rolleyes:
    ..i haven't had one beer this year :C ...i'll survive somehow though!..
    ...they should give out alcohol supplements in college.. :/

ps.thanks for the help so far...

So your previous post implies your using ICS or some non-MS OS equivalent, the all 3 pcs connected through a hub and with your mates pc connected directly to the internet?

Flog the hub for 10 or 20 squid then use the proceeeds towards a WRT54G, then when the finances allow a couple of 54g cards will let you remove all the wires that must be runing around your house.

HAve you tried checking Ebay or similar for a second hand WRT54g? Or post a Wanted request in the correct forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭B0rG

In my exp wireless isn't that good for gaming - i.e. there is initial packet delays and stuff like that. I wouldn't recoomend it for other than general internet browsing.
    But then again, this could be just my d-link 604+...

My U2K4 sessions dont show any ill effects from my WRT54G.

Advertisement