Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave modem on my window sill!!!

• 23-09-2004 8:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Sounds bloody comical but the only way that i can get my Ripwave modem to work is by putting it outside my window.

This is after 6 days of trying all sorts of tricks (Including surrounding my window frame with tin foil).

I'm delighted its working but what now. I can't exactly keep it outside.

Could I use a mirror to reflect the signal or could I put the unit in some sort of perspex box?

( \o/ yay btw \o/ )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Spoke too bloody soon.

I've now got a green light but no connection?!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

Judging by the last picture, you should maybe keep your mobile phone away from it!

Don't worry that's a decoration. I think it runs on truck batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

The only way I've gotten mine to work is by putting it on a certain part of the window sill and even then it won't always pick up a signal. An inch to the right or left and it won't work at all. The people in ripwave 'customer support' said that putting it inside or outside the window wouldn't make a difference unless the window was lead lined.

I've never gotten a green light, only orange but that seems to provide acceptable speeds for d/ls. I've come to the conclusion that ripwave would be a decent system if it was at all stable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

considering the IBB antenna is prolly halfway down (or up for that matter) the RTE tower maybe try placing the receiver on the top of you window with the antenna pointing down to achieve a better off-line-of-sight position. In case IBB use horizontal polarisation you could always try with the antenna horizontally placed near, but ot too near, the top of the frame.
    Good luck!
    /MK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

When it comes to IBB, or any other WISP for that matter, I'm clueless - my BB comes over a copper wire. So I have some noob-type questions:

Did an IBB engineer do a signal test at your locations? Assuming sufficient signal strength was available, did he/she identify the best position for the modem? Or did IBB alert you, before activating the service (and taking your money), that performance would be hit-and-miss, and that you would be responsible for finding the best way of receiving the service that you are paying for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

tomk wrote:
    Did an IBB engineer do a signal test at your locations? Assuming sufficient signal strength was available, did he/she identify the best position for the modem?
    Ripwave is a "self install" service, much like most DSL installations. They ship out the "modem" and you plug it in.

If you want the more expensive Line-Of-Sight service (which is called Breezenet, not Ripwave), then they send someone out to do a signal test, and climb on the roof to install the antenna.

Ripwave wrote:
    Ripwave is a "self install" service, much like most DSL installations. They ship out the "modem" and you plug it in.

If you want the more expensive Line-Of-Sight service (which is called Breezenet, not Ripwave), then they send someone out to do a signal test, and climb on the roof to install the antenna.

Are you sure you don't work for IBB? ;)

Anyone aware of a external antenna for the new modems?

Advertisement