Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem installing WinXP (SP2 related)

• 23-09-2004 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭

I'm attempting a Windows installation at the moment on a formatted hard disk, and coming up with this error message:

Some files on Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM are needed.

Insert Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM into the drive selected below, and then click OK.

followed by a drive selection box. The problem is, the selection box won't accept the drive letter D:\ (the drive in which the disc is inserted) and when I click Browse and attempt to access it that way, is claims that the drive does not exist. The thing is that the drive does exist and is properly connected, the installation up until this point has been running off it.

I am guessing this has something to do with the fact that I attempted to install Service Pack 2 the other day, thustly screwing the computer up beyond recognition and forcing this re-install. However, to be on the safe side (I thought), I formatted the hard drive on a seperate (non-SP2) PC to ensure that the setup would run without a hitch. I can't see how SP2 could be causing any further problems, though, unless it irreversibly screwed up my BIOS as well.

Has this happened to anyone else, would anyone be able to suggest anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Are you sure your cd-drive is still recognised as D:? Maybe its done a windows, and is now being recognised as the C: or e:

What other options are available, and what have you tried?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

The CD problem hasn’t But XpSp2 screwing up my machine to the point of a reinstall; defiantly. You’re sure you got a bootable copy of XP. As a wild card, flashing the BIOS might help.

Advertisement