Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment Complex Service Charge Rip-off

Options
  • 23-09-2004 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

Any opinions on this one.
    I got this smart letter from Keenan Property
    Management this morning. I paid my full service charge for 2004 in dec 2003.
    I will now refuse to pay another penny until they resume services AND refund me for any time that services were withdrawn.
    Myself and my 2 neighbours are now going to send own letter around the complex to organize a meeting to get rid of this shower of ******.

KEENAN PROPERTY MANAGEMENT LTD.

22nd September 2004

RE: Current Financial Status of Applewood Village. Swords. Co. Dublin

Dear xxx

I would like to inform you of the current financial status of the block. Unfortunately the accounts are overdrawn.

We are not in a position to pay contractors therefore certain services will have to be cut back. This is due to people not paying their services charges on time and sometimes not paying at all. We have sent out three reminders to these owners and we are now issuing legal proceedings

Until we have adequate funds in the account services will not resume. I would urge you to please pay your charges as soon as possible, as these services are essential to the upkeep of the complex.

If you paid your service charge in full we apologise for any inconvenience, but until all service charges are paid in full services cannot be carried out.
    If you have any other queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours Sincerely

Sarah O'Kane

Sarah O'Kane Property Manager

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

I know you're annoyed because you have paid the service charge but what ARE they supposed to do if they literally have no money? I suggest (as you hinted yourself) that you get together with all of the other "service charge paying" residents and try and embarrass/force/convince the offenders into paying up in the interests of everyone living in the complex.
    Failing that legal action may be the only way...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It sounds like your management company is on the brink of insolvency. It is not able to fulfill its duties to its tenants (who are also its members). I think you should call an EGM.

To be fair to the management company, they can't be expected to carry on if they have no money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

It sounds like your management company is on the brink of insolvency. It is not able to fulfill its duties to its tenants (who are also its members). I think you should call an EGM.

Great advice, if you weren't a year and a half too late it might even have been useful :D

(what are ya at pulling up this old thread?)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Management companies are in a catch 22 situation when something like in this situation don't pay and they don't have the funds.

When it comes to this, it takes a few responsible people to organise a meeting with ALL the residents to resolve it, otherwise it could have to go legal.

I think you're suggestion is good and you should start there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

oh damn, sorry, i guess i had been further into the old stuff than I thought. Still, sometimes these things do drag on you know ;-) ... be interesting to know what happened in the end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement