Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITs here

Options
  • 10-03-2000 9:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Was in Virgin last night and noticed they are now running Clockwork Orange

GO SEE IT

that is all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Shaft1

Its released on 17th March make sure you go see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It'll make a change to see it without the ol Dutch subtitles alright smile.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I must agree with El_Pres here - a fantastic film and a definite must see for all!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~davitt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Picked up the book in HMV to prep me for seeing it on the big screen at last... I never realised before that Kubrick left out the last chapter of the book in the movie! Odd, that. Apparently the original release of the novel in the states was missing that chapter as well, although it was unedited in Europe.

Ja,
    Rob

--
    [EED]Shinji -=*=- shinji@electricdeath.com
    Site Editor, http://www.utsystem.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Thats half the fun Blitz, go see it.

Oh I was wrong about Virgin, that was just a preview last thursday, sorry frown.gif

But the 17th, mark it in your diary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i remember trying to read it while on holiday about 3 years ago.
    took a bit of getting used to the language. i think it was a bas7ardisation of english and some russian dialect mixed together to give it a type of 'real' feel to it.
    its a bit violent and very depressing in the end, but good. will go see it in the flicks next week though.
    whsich reminds me conor. you fancy going next saturday about 5 or 6 ish and a few beers afterwards?

Could do, could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

wtf is it about? The ad is anything but informative.

I'm not going to some film by an over rated director without even knowing what it's about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Gamblor

Originally posted by Blitzkrieger:
    I'm not going to some film by an over rated director without even knowing what it's about!
    Dont go out then ???? come on some of the best movies i've ever seen i've just gone to not known who directed them .. but i sure as hell remembered after !!!!!

***** Feel my Evil Neon Claws *****

• Advertisement

ahh come on!
    every ones seen at least one stanly kubrick film. such classics as....ummmm, nope, actually ive never seen a stanly kubrick film i liked.

Ah Jesus Eamo, if you're trying to tell me you didnt like Dr. Strangelove, then I am going to have to kill you!!

CT.

p.s. Alternatively if you just havent seen it yet, then get it out or watch it next time it's on TV, lest an agonising doom be yours. smile.gif I may even have to kill and eat you, once I've finished off Draco that is smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

I've said it before, I hope by God I get to say it again, but Blitzkrieger- you brighten my life with an intellect as vast and corageous as the cathedral dome like blue of the sky! smile.gif Your genius bruises me when I read it.

We are superfriends
    Super friends are we

I really am the king of understated sarcasm, amn't I?

We are superfriends
    Super friends are we

yes, you are.

and yes, if you didnt notice it, that was sarasm as well. and well beneath yours in terms of understatment. guess i win on that count.
    however, i was not aware that kubrick dirested dr strangelove, which is an excellent film starring peter sellers, peter sellers and..peter sellers.
    all his other films that i know of were crap though.
    damn..theres always one exception to the rule isnt there!

Your Dungeon Is On An Incline.
    Irate Creatures Cannot Play Marbles.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Gamblor

Seei don't kow you or the majority of people on here .. so i'm doing what all irish people do at that stage ...
    I'm staying neutral !!!! wink.gif

***** Feel my Evil Neon Claws *****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

WWman I agree. Paths Of Glory, The Shining, The Killing (rip off of reservoir dogs) and of course the big snore that is 2001 are all toss.

2001 is a load of pretentious $hite.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The Shining is good, but 2001 is a little... arty... for my taste. No laser battles and not a tie-fighter to be seen!

DeV.

r u calling me stupid frown.gif

• Advertisement

It's like a bizarre interlink, but The Shining plunged in my estimation after I saw that the 'riding off into the sunset' sequences from the original crappy ending of Blade Runner were outtakes from the Shining's opening sequence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Radovar

Von, are you taking the ****? The Killing was made forty years before Reservoir Dogs.

I HAVE decided to go see the film. Why? Because, the ******* of satan itself, BSkyB showed enough of a clip to arouse my interest.

Prob still be a **** film tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

you dont review films for the sun by any chance? smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

don't even want to see the film.....rather make my own film about this appollo mission where it's touch and go whether or not the astronauts will make it home or not. It will star Bill Paxton, Gary Sinise and Tom Hanks. As always, I'll have a small part for GOD Clooney to play. I'll call it...... "WILL THEY BE ABLE TO MAKE IT HOME TO EARTH OR WILL THEY CRASH AND BURN IN A FIREY BALL SOMEWHERE OUTSIDE OUR ATMOSPHERE?"

tct

eek.gif

And with that I stand down as leader of this ancient and very sacred society. I just hope you will treat your new leader with as much love and respect as you have shown me. I bid thee farewell.
    thank you

ahh the shining was excellent, so i will reposition my stance on mr kubricts merits as a director.
    he had some good films such as apocalypse now, the shining and dr strangelove. but i didnt like any of the others that i have seen.
    and yes, it is a bit bizarre to have cut scenes from blade runner at he begining of the shining. now what was that all about?
    surely he didnt run out of cash after the first 10 minutes smile.gif

all work and no play makes jack a dull boy....

rory I will give you my bank details now to go make that movie. It will be tense
    Blitzkrieger I wouldn't say you're stupid... that would be mean, and just ask the ppl on the street, Kevin is a shinin example of niceness.

This movie by the way was not good. I suspect Kubrick withdrew it not due to its ultra violence (which is tamer than a recent edition of Hollyoaks) but because he knew it sucked.

Well, that is what my mom reckons anyway and she doesn't know much about movies but she once met Sinead O'Connor and Michael Stipe in the same week. She preferred the second bald one.

We are superfriends
    Super friends are we

This movie by the way was not good. I suspect Kubrick withdrew it not due to its ultra violence (which is tamer than a recent edition of Hollyoaks) but because he knew it sucked.

actually he withdrew it because there was copycat violence in real life and he didnt want to be associated with that sort of cary on. aparently its ok to inspire people to brutality once yer dead wink.gif

Stunned by revelation that Kubrick withdrew due to copycat violence. aww, where'd you find that out. my gut feeling on the man is, seeing as he liked to see himself as someone people would talk about after his death, he may have just found it convienient to withdraw it as the movie was vague and confused in the deliverance of its message and was not visually arresting in the kubrick manner we have become used to and some of us revere. its just not up to his other work and i think he might have known it
    ps- does anyone know belle and sebastian. they be pretty good they do.

We are superfriends
    Super friends are we

• Advertisement

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    ahh the shining was excellent, so i will reposition my stance on mr kubricts merits as a director.
    he had some good films such as apocalypse now, the shining and dr strangelove. but i didnt like any of the others that i have seen.
    and yes, it is a bit bizarre to have cut scenes from blade runner at he begining of the shining. now what was that all about?
    surely he didnt run out of cash after the first 10 minutes smile.gif

ach Eamo, Kubrick didn't direct Apocalypse Now, that was Francis Ford Coppola, you muppet smile.gif and it's outtakes of The Shining that appear in Blade Runner, not vice versa.

The reason they appear there is cos after audiences tested badly to BR's original ending (the one which was restored in the Director's Cut), Ridley Scott inserted the 'happy clappy' ending as seen in the original cut. He had no time or money to recall Harrison Ford and/or Sean Young to reshoot the ending fully, so he used stock footage not used in the Shining. Hey, if stock footage was good enough for Edward D. Wood Jr. it was good enough for Ridley Scott smile.gif

There are a couple of other shots in BR that are obviously inserted later - the prime example is when Rutger Hauer releases the dove near the end. The sky above is pitch black and the building is neo-gothic in appearance, yet the dove flies off into a blue sky with some smoke in, beside a building that looks a lot more modern. The answer? Scott shot the dove scene in Reading, England, after the film wrapped cos the dove they had on set wouldnt do what was required for the shot.

The building in question is a steelworks outside Reading smile.gif

Castor 'mine of information about Blade Runner' Troy.

Advertisement