Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning UTV Talk could cost you money

Options
  • 23-09-2004 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Warning - before you opt for UTV talk read the small print - it could end up costing you more than you are paying now.

If you opt for UTV talk you will get free evening and weekend calls but calls during the day and international calls will cost you 20% more than the old UTV rates. If you make calls during the day or if you make almost any international calls then UTV talk could end up costing you more than you are paying now.

Worse still is clause 4.10 of the hard to find terms and conditions:
    4.10 The Customer accepts and acknowledges that (i) the Access Provider shall bar access to all carrier selection and carrier access codes on telephone lines that have SB-WLR applied and (ii) override codes are not available for use by the Customer in conjunction with the Service (i.e. a Customer cannot access another operator's network in making calls through use of a prefix). The Customer accepts that UTV shall have no liability for any losses or damages howsoever arising from non provision of the Service in the event that such restrictions are not accepted by the Customer.

This means that if you sign up for UTV talk you lose the ability to select a cheap carrier (such as vartec -13636) for international calls. This fact alone could cost you a packet. I am actually surprised UTV can do this - I intend to ask COMREG about it.

Null points to UTV for not making it easy see if UTV talk will cost you more or less. The information you need on comparative call charges is hard to find and it took me a couple of hours bashing spreadsheets to figure out that UTV talk is a very bad deal for me. I am actually dissapointed. I have been with UTV for a year and am generally happy with the service. This is the first time I feel that they are trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

There's a fairly detailed Pricing guide linked right above the FAQ link. And while they no longer have their old pricing available online (if you sign up for ClickSilver or UTVip XL you now get UTV Talk automatically), as soon as I saw the "10% savings on eircom rates", I recognized that they were dearer than the old rates. I didn't see a problem with that, because they're competing with Eircom, not with their own package.

The block on other carrier access codes is unusual (not a surprise, but unusual), but as long as they aren't blocking telestunts 1890 number, it may not be that significant. (Are they allowed to block access to 1890 numbers?)

For people who are choosing UTV Talk for the free off-peak landline calls to Ireland and the UK, it's probably a good deal. For people who get UTV Talk with ClickSilver or UTVipXL (whether they want it or not), it might be a problem all right.

I know Comreg has ruled againt other CPS providers when they signed up people who didn't understand the implications of what they were signing up for. I think UTV would have to be careful to make sure that subscribers are explicitly aware that 13xxx numbers won't work if they are to avoid running foul of the CPS code of practice, especially people who sign up over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Thought it had to be too good to be true :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 WernerVoss

I spoke today to UTV on the 01890 926 111 number which turned out to be their IP help line. I was directed there by the brochures line.

They stated that they do support dual ISDN connection.

I queried the use of the access codes and was told that Eircom do the network routing. So it will need Eircom to bar the 13 access codes. Will they do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

The SB-WLR product (where you get a single bill for calls and line rental from a provider other than Eircom) is a wholesale line rental product provided by Eircom to other Service Providers.

All SB-WLR lines have access to the 13xxx carrier access numbers blocked, that is the wholesale product provided by Eircom and approved by ComReg.

From the Eircom Product Description for SB-WLR
    Calls to all carrier selection codes (including eircom ‘13666’) will be barred by eircom on SB-WLR Lines.
    So it's not unique to UTV's product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 lamper

I use utv talk and a first national call card. So to call internationally I call a dublin number then enter code blah blah. The call to dublin is free so only have to pay the 3 or 4c a min to wherever I'm ringing. To simpify the process further I have a Siemens phone that automatically dials the dublin number and puts in my pin before I make international calls. USe 11 hours plus a month for next to nothing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Have utv sorted out the migration issues yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

As I started this thread I feel I must retract my criticism of UTV because I now realise that this is condition enforced by Eircom not by UTV themselves. Thanks iano for clarifying this.

I should also point out that when I discussed this with a UTV sales representative at the RDS recently they were very open about it and actually recommended that I use a pre-paid call card for international calls.

In fact now that I have discovered telestunt it isn't even nessecary to go out and buy a calling card to phone Australia for the price of a local call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 lamper

Mad Mike wrote:
    In fact now that I have discovered telestunt it isn't even nessecary to go out and buy a calling card to phone Australia for the price of a local call.

Be careful 1890 numbers may not come under the free local calls deal

lamper wrote:
    Be careful 1890 numbers may not come under the free local calls deal
    Indeed they don't as do any non geographic numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Personally it suits my usage very well. Rarely at home during peak and ring UK and Ireland quite a bit off peak. Never ring international. But one thing that bugs me is the line rental. It not about the money, but I want to pay Eircom as little as I have to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

I think if you can skype is the only way to go for international calls

Personally it suits my usage very well. Rarely at home during peak and ring UK and Ireland quite a bit off peak. Never ring international. But one thing that bugs me is the line rental. It not about the money, but I want to pay Eircom as little as I have to.
    Have UTV sorted out your rental yet?

Bond-007 wrote:
    Have UTV sorted out your rental yet?

If they have they haven't told me. Mind you I haven't checked the last bill yet. Last time asked here no one had been sorted out and there was some unspecified delay and we were told just to keep paying eircom.

If they have they haven't told me. Mind you I haven't checked the last bill yet. Last time asked here no one had been sorted out and there was some unspecified delay and we were told just to keep paying eircom.
    Thats what i am worried about. I just paid Eircom another 2 months rental. Just hope they sort it out soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭aaronc

Bond-007 wrote:
    Thats what i am worried about. I just paid Eircom another 2 months rental. Just hope they sort it out soon.
    You'll still be paying it to Eircom you'll just be billed by UTV.

Aaron

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

did anyone else ask for the bill to be posted to their house? I did but have never receieved one yet! Signed up for utv talk in september, billing started in Oct. thanks!

aaronc wrote:
    You'll still be paying it to Eircom you'll just be billed by UTV.

Aaron

I assume by going through UTVip Eircom get less of my money and it will affect some stats somewhere.

Advertisement