Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Clicksilver What da fu*k!!!!!

• 24-09-2004 1:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭

I signed up for Clicksilver. I set up the modem and got the ASDL connected. I was transmitting packets but not receiving any.

When I try to dial up with the username and password I got from UTV, I got an error 769.

I rang tech support, fu*kin absolutely useless. Does anyone have any suggestions or any one encounter this?

Apreciate any help

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ShadowFax wrote:
    I signed up for Clicksilver. I set up the modem and got the ASDL connected. I was transmitting packets but not receiving any.

When I try to dial up with the username and password I got from UTV, I got an error 769.

I rang tech support, fu*kin absolutely useless. Does anyone have any suggestions or any one encounter this?

Apreciate any help

Have a look here - http://www.google.ie/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=error+769 - its a google search for 'error 769' and the resuts would seem to suggest maybe a problem with your network card. So it maybe not be UTV's fault (I cannot belive I actually typed that :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭ShadowFax

I'm not actually using my network card as it as usb modem (crap). My NIC is not connected to anything. Could this still be the problem??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

dub45 wrote:
    So it maybe not be UTV's fault (I cannot belive I actually typed that :) )
    I'm going to frame that comment! ;)

kin9pin wrote:
    I'm going to frame that comment! ;)

I can't imagine why!!!!
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

ShadowFax wrote:

Yes, I have two suggestions. FIrstly, if you believe you're not getting acceptable service from tech support, ask to speak to a manager, or email martin@u.tv or malcolm@u.tv, two of the head honchos up there.

Secondly, USB modems can be a bit flaky (I retired mine as soon as I could afford an alternative), so remove the driver and any other associated software completely, and reinstall from scratch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Agree with tomk. I had terrible trouble getting my usb modem to work. I had to uninstall a few times to get it to work and that was only after I downloaded the drivers from zyxel.
    AFAIR there's a cleanup utility on the disc so use that to uninstall and then try again. Do you have 2 green lights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I had similar problems when I signed up. Eircom initally said it was because of my monitored house alarm but I do not believe that was the problem. IMO the problem was in the Exchange with whatever kit was there. It took Eircom/UTV a week to sort it out. I asked but never got a satisfactory explaination as to the cause or cure for the problem but it was some problem at the exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Clicksilver was down most of yesterday for me anyway. You should try again today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Is clicksilver down again?

I got a call from home to say its down again after only being down the other day as well.

Whats going on with UTV? Why can't they provide a reliable service?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Dopey

ClickSilver has been working fine for me since the weekend before last when it went down a couple of times. I have to say I am pretty happy with it so far. The download speeds are grand and it seems to be very stable (touch wood).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

It has and continues to be fine here too.

It seems to be very shaky at times.

The connection disappeared last thursday night till friday afternoon.

Now the same this morning. I'm not sure if its back yet or not.

I can only presume this is some fault at UTV's end as the setup has been tested both through their USB modem and a wireless DSL router. I had thought it may be the wireless setup when I ran into this last week but having tested the wireless and the usb modem neither could connect. Then "magically" the following day the connection came back up when I left it as it had been previously.

This is not a connection that is used for much more than email and minimal web browsing. No warez, gaming or the like.

I had heard about UTV's connection problems before this but I thought they had been resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

It's pretty obvious that it's not a problem affecting all UTV users. It might be helpful if people included information about what exchange they are connected to when reporting this sort of problem so we can see if the problem is localized or regional.

Ripwave wrote:
    It's pretty obvious that it's not a problem affecting all UTV users. It might be helpful if people included information about what exchange they are connected to when reporting this sort of problem so we can see if the problem is localized or regional.

For those who don't or can't access the UTV support newsgroup for whatever reason, there are no reports posted there today of any problems. There was a problem on 22nd from lunchtime to about 7pm which UTV acknowledged as a fault in their network which 'caused severe performance degredation for users' and apologised for. Speeds of about 40kbit were being reported during this period.

In the posts about this fault there was one complaint about an outage of 3.5 to 4 hours the previous morning from about 6 a.m.

Since then there have been no posts on problems with the service.

(There have been no recent posts either from UTV warning of disruptions from technical work just in case anyone wondered if that might be the cause of some problems)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

There were some problems the afternoon after that affecting some people in Meath and Fingal where it died for a few hours but I believe that was out of UTV's hands. By chance I was already talking to support at the time when it died completely (I'm Fingal here).
    It hasn't gone down completely since then for me anyway.

The exchange that would be affecting the connection in my case was Kildare Town.

It hadn't come back as of last night but as I can't get to the machine to check whats up I can't be certain. All I know is that this seems to be happening intermittently over the last week or two but the configuration hasn't been changed or meddled with.

Why are there such localised breakdowns of service (barring of course that its another problem entirely)?

machalla wrote:
    The exchange that would be affecting the connection in my case was Kildare Town.

It hadn't come back as of last night but as I can't get to the machine to check whats up I can't be certain. All I know is that this seems to be happening intermittently over the last week or two but the configuration hasn't been changed or meddled with.

Why are there such localised breakdowns of service (barring of course that its another problem entirely)?

Have you been onto UTV support at all about this?

Carl seems to be back now on a more regular basis answering queries in the support group and he specifically asked in the last day or two that anyone with speed problems should email him direct. I cant access the support group as I am not on my own pc but I think its carl@u.tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

kin9pin wrote:
    I had terrible trouble getting my usb modem to work. I had to uninstall a few times to get it to work

Yeah, me too!

Quick update on this.

Cheers to Dub45 for the mail addy to Carl. I mailed him this morning and he's just off the phone to me this minute.

Whats going on is that there is an exchange level problem in the 044/045 area it seems that is affecting not only UTV customers but also IOL and Eircom customers too (presumably some of the others as well). They have been waiting for about a week for eircom to do something about this (the problem was originally reported to Eircom by IOL it seems).

Anyone who has got a problem with Clicksilver (or IOL, Eircom etc) should contact their provider and ask them to get on to Eircom. The more people that are affected the more priority the problem will have and the faster (possibly) the problem will be sorted out. Of course since its Eircom who are causing the problem then that may be wishful thinking on my part that they will make make much of an effort to do anything about it.

Oops pardon me, please substitute any instance of "Eircom" to "Eircon". Slip of the keyboard there.

So just to summarise this is not UTV's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

Hello all....

Well I'm going mad with my UTV Clicksilver...

Only installed it last week and it's been down now since Wednesday! UTV say it's Eircom, (I'm on the Sandyford exchange) God knows when it will be back.

It really is ridiculous, I mean my Zykel modem has two greens but there's some problem in Sandyford which is preventing connection.

Bah!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭NocturnalDonkey

I'm on the Kildare Town exhange too. I'm with IOL. Was on to them during the week. they said they reported the issue to Eircom.

It first when down over a week ago, for one night.
    Then last Sunday there were some problems, and then it has been very bad all week. It would download for a second, then it would be 2 minutes before it would download again, and then only for a second.

It has been completely down all day today.

Yep, as of saturday morning its still down.

Does anyone know of some way to pressure eircom on this matter more than they already are?

Since its been reported by our ISP's is there any point at all in contacting COMREG about Eircoms apparent inability/unwillingness to fix the problem? Does it come under the remit of Comreg? Its ridiculous that this has been going on for more than a week now. The conenction down at home is completely unusable now.

Rob C wrote:
    Hello all....

Well I'm going mad with my UTV Clicksilver...

Only installed it last week and it's been down now since Wednesday! UTV say it's Eircom, (I'm on the Sandyford exchange) God knows when it will be back.

It really is ridiculous, I mean my Zykel modem has two greens but there's some problem in Sandyford which is preventing connection.

Bah!

Rob if you are still having problems might be worth contacting UTV again a friend of mine in Sandyford tells me that he has had no problems at all this week (He is with Eircom)

It's still down....

Was on to them again dub45, they say it's Eircom, they're expecting a "report" from Eircom, this evening, but I'm not holding my breath, i'd say it will be next week at the earliest. I live up in Stepaside and there's so much building gong on and the Eircom vans are always parked at the side of the road somewhere up here doing work. Bit of a nightmare....

Rob C wrote:
    It's still down....

Was on to them again dub45, they say it's Eircom, they're expecting a "report" from Eircom, this evening, but I'm not holding my breath, i'd say it will be next week at the earliest. I live up in Stepaside and there's so much building gong on and the Eircom vans are always parked at the side of the road somewhere up here doing work. Bit of a nightmare....

My friend up there lives very close to the IMI so there's a bit of a distance between you - hope you get sorted out quickly.

Well It's Tuesday night and it still hasn't come back......

Eircom still "fixing" the problem.

To be fair I think UTV are as exasparated as me, their managers have been e-mailing me with updates and have been very responsive.

Bloody Eircon. :mad:

Advertisement