Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I see my IOLBB bandwidth usage stats?

• 24-09-2004 2:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Is there a link to check your bandwidth usage stats for the month with IOL BB ??

And what's up if I go over my 8gig cap? Will ESAT bill me for it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

http://broadband.iol.ie/cgi-bin/sec/dsl

And they will bill you if you go over...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 amp2000

Cheers Willymuncher ;)

It's saying I've downloaded just under 13gb & uploaded 2.7gb.......
    I thought 8gb was my limit, but it's saying "At your current rate of usage you are likely to go over your download limit in 5 days"

Have I gone over my limit or what?? I wasnt aware the fu***rs would automatically bill me for bandwidth that I wasnt aware I was using :mad:

EDIT: I'm on the iolbb €33 a month offer with €15 a month phonecalls.........If that makes any difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

And they will bill you if you go over...
    Are you sure? I'm on 15.26GB atm...it has to last me until next week.../me worries :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

amp2000 wrote:
    Is there a link to check your bandwidth usage stats for the month with IOL BB ??
    www.iol.ie
    Click on the Help link at the top of the page.
    Entry number 4 is "How do I check my Broadband usage?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

anyone know for definite if its reset by calendar month or by date you first logged-in?
    and is the 16gb cap for combined upload and download?

cheers
    RE*AC*TOR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

according to their blurb it's 16gb combined up/down, but I'm on 14 down and 3 up and I'm getting told by the stats page i'm likely to go over in 4 days, so if it's both up and down I'm already over, so I reckon it's just down. if they argue the toss i'm going to tell them i was going by the stats page and if they can't find someone who can write a script to add up and down together to properly inform users of their limits then they can stick their cap back in the dark ages where it belongs. or something like that.

damn cap should be abolished anyway. or be a gig a day like ntl. i could live with that if it was averaged out over the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

hmmm, my rage sensor just overloaded and blew-up...

So anyone on the calendar month question.

Thanks for the upload / download info vibe666, please don't hurt me.... ;)

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    hmmm, my rage sensor just overloaded and blew-up...

So anyone on the calendar month question.
    Every one of the literally hundreds of posts about this question over the last year and a half has been in unanimous agreement that download allowances are measured on the calendar month.

As for whether it's up or down, this is what the IOL website says:
    Question
    With IOL Broadband Plus is there going to be a data transfer limit?

Answer
    You are entitled to a free transfer limit of up to 16 Gigabytes of data in any given month. This is double the allowance on the eircom home starter service.

If you go over this generous limit then we reserve the right to charge you for any additional data (at 3cent inc VAT per MB)The 16GB limit refers to both upload and download.

You will be entitled to use 16GB in either direction without penalty. i.e. you can upload 15GB and download 15GB in the same month without penalty. However if you upload 4GB and download 17GB then your account will be suspended .

This data allowance is calculated on a daily basis and if you are consistently
    above this amount we reserve the right to suspend or permanently disconnect your account during the first month you go over it.

(The FAQ isn't as unequivocal about the 8G allowance on the IOL Broadband package, but there's no reason to believe it works any differently).

Ripwave wrote:
    You will be entitled to use 16GB in either direction without penalty. i.e. you can upload 15GB and download 15GB in the same month without penalty. However if you upload 4GB and download 17GB then your account will be suspended.
    i hate to be pedantic (well, not really, but I am trying, honest ;)) but that does leave some room for interpretation. on first look it seems simple enough with you can upload 15GB AND download 15GB in the same month without penalty. so that's 30gb per month then is it inc. inc. all 2 way traffic? as long as i don't go over 16gb in either direction I'm safe? great, I'll turn that file sharing app back on and leave it that way until my uploads hit 15gb even though my download just hit 14gig.

but then if I upload just one 1mb (impossible i know, but just suppose i could) and then download 16.1gb then they'll come and put me in a bag and beat me with sticks?

doesn't seem fair to me. why can't they make it so I can up/download a max of 32gb total and be done with it.

they could at least let us trade in some of our unused upload cap for downloads.

buggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

All seems pretty straiightforward and fair to me. I'm with UTV with a 16GB down and unlimited up.
    Although I've come quite close to the download limit before I've never got close to 16GB uploads.

• Advertisement

that's pretty much because the connection ratio is 512k down/128k up - it's a lot quicker to download than it is to upload (about 50kbps to 12kbps)

vibe666 wrote:
    i hate to be pedantic (well, not really, but I am trying, honest ;)) but that does leave some room for interpretation.
    If it leaves room for interpretation, why didn't you post an interpretation that conflicted with the obvious (and only logical) interpretation?

Where are yas getting the 16gig cap from? On their site it says it's 8 gig.

Has it gone up to 16 gig now??

amp2000 wrote:

There are two packages available from IOL, an 8GB one and a 16GB one.

amp2000 wrote:

"IOL Broadband" (€39/month) has an 8G "transfer limit". "IOL Broadband Plus" (€47/month) has a 16G "transfer limit".

As I stated above, the FAQ entry is more detailed for the "IOL Broadband Plus" service, but I don't think the "IOL Broadband" services uses different rules, it just uses a lower number.

If you've got a 16G transfer limit on the Free Trial, then I think you'll be signed up to the Broadband Plus service at €47/month at the end of your trial period.

This is whats confusing me, I signed up for the 8gig package but my stats are measuring me against 16gig. ah f**kit, I'm going by their stats & if they try charge me for going over 8gig I'm blaming them.

I actually missed the trial, it came out a week after I ordered BB :o

Thanks for the replies lads ;)

Ripwave wrote:
    If it leaves room for interpretation, why didn't you post an interpretation that conflicted with the obvious (and only logical) interpretation?
    yeah, i do that a lot. :rolleyes:

usually cos i read something and reply to it and by the time i'm halfway through my reply something else occurs to me and i go off on a tangent, usually making myself look like a muppet in the process.

i've got it down to a fine art at this stage. :D

I'm nothing if not inconsistent. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Sarn

Do you get a message on the usage meter page if you go over your limit?

My counter wasn't updating and when I logged on it said I've downloaded just shy of 10 GB this month! Of course it also says my total DL to date (after 14 months) is just under 10 GB. Prior to this my total DL for the past year was just over 16GB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Data uploaded 6.26 GB [6717432149 bytes]
    Data downloaded 10.79 GB [11581839933 bytes]

thats for this month ... so im guessing its 15.9 up and 15.9 down

Advertisement