Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr K Bigley

Options
  • 24-09-2004 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭

To Whom It May Concern:
    Can I ask that as a show of support for Kenneth Bigley and his family is shown by a massive gathering of people converging in Liverpool city at St Georges Hall. Tell as many people as you can to start gathering at 18:00 on Friday 24th September. This will show to the people holding Mr Bigley that there are many people wishing for his safe return from the nightmare he is going through and will send a very large message to the government that the British public can not stand for any more torture where Iraq is concerned and that the British PM should now admit defeat and step down.

Again I urge you to spread the word as fast as you can as TIME is very tight on this issue, tell your friends, family & work colleagues to meet at the time and place for a peaceful but strong show of support, please bring banners, signs anything you can so we can get our message over on the media networks that Liverpool and the UK support Mr Bigley and his family through this time.

If you are a media outlet please broadcast the plea.

Many thanks
    From a Friend

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭newstalk

Paul Bigley, Ken's brother appealed on our Orla Barry Show this morning to listeners to show their support by emailing bringbigleyhome@newstalk106.ie.

We have been on to Al-Jazeera and they will be running a story on the media coverage in Ireland. We will be having a number of high profile names on the station later this evening to pledge their support.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

This will show to the people holding Mr Bigley that there are many people wishing for his safe return from the nightmare he is going through and will send a very large message to the government that the British public can not stand for any more torture where Iraq is concerned and that the British PM should now admit defeat and step down.

You couldnt manage not exploiting public support for Mr Bigleys family for the benefit of your political views could you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Above^^
    I do not live in the UK I am only spreading what i found this AM on the net.
    from a Website in Liverpool.

Got to admit though blaire has cocked up on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

What about the rest of the people who've been taken hostage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

BrookieD wrote:
    Above^^
    I do not live in the UK I am only spreading what i found this AM on the net.
    from a Website in Liverpool.

Got to admit though blaire has cocked up on this.

I think the original author didn't need to have a pop at blair (not this time).

I don't see exactly how blair has cocked up on this particular issue.
    In cases like this it is the norm not to deal with kidnappers (if you do a dangerous precedent has has been set). This is a horrific situation for those concerned and hopefully will have a happy outcome, but it is not the first incident of its type in Iraq. All foreign civilian working in Iraq must know that they are at risk.

In general though, if you were to say that blair has cocked overall in the decision to follow bush in the invasion of Iraq, you would get no arguement from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

SCULLY wrote:
    In general though, if you were to say that blair has cocked overall in the decision to follow bush in the invasion of Iraq, you would get no arguement from me.

sorry I should have made the above point a bit more clear. Scully hit the nail on the head so to speak. Blair should not have followed Bush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This issue has got me more angry than I usually get with anything/anyone.
    The merciless exploitation of this personal tragedy is astonishing. I can understand ther family clutching at any passing straws in the wind, but now we have the sight/sounds of Michal D Higgins "on a mission" which is essentially a fraud. You'd think he was in with Tawhid wal Jihad and could turn them round. He must know in all honesty that Kenneth Bigley is dead meat short of a truely unexpectd intervention and I'm thinking more SAS than Bertie Ahern on Al-Jezzera. The notion that making him an instant Paddy will be enough is an insult to the man and the rest of us. Not to mention the terrorists who hold him, they dont really care which passport he carries only that he is an "invader" and so can be kidnapped to exploit tensions both in the west and within Iraq. Which is the real matter at hand here. Iraq is at a crossroads will it become Afganistan 2 or not?

Abu Mussab Al Zarqawi has played the media perfectly and they've happilly played along - nothing suits 24 hr News like an extended crisis.

Kenneth Bigley is a veteran of the middle east so knew the risks he was taking for big money. He and his family have my thoughts and sympathy but I'm not going to pretend to myself that this will end any other way than the
    worst way.

If you want a glimpse into our possible future check out todays liveline -
    http://www.rte.ie/rams/radio/latest/rte-liveline.smil the whole hour is about the kidnapping and contested thoughts on Islams view of the western and non-Islamic world.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

mike65 wrote:
    I can understand ther family clutching at any passing straws in the wind, but now we have the sight/sounds of Michal D Higgins "on a mission" which is essentially a fraud.
    I suppose Michael D's attitude is "Look, the guy's going to die anyway so why not make the most of it politically. Yes, getting large amounts of people on to the streets only strengthens the position of the kidnappers and makes further kidnappings more likely but people are so angry with Blair and Bush that they won't see this."

Reuters have this -

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=6454678
    BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Militants in Iraq beheaded British hostage Kenneth Bigley, three weeks after kidnapping him to press a demand for the release of women held by U.S.-led forces, a video seen by Reuters showed on Friday. Guerrilla sources in the rebel-held city of Falluja said earlier that Bigley, who had been seized by a militant group led by alleged al Qaeda ally Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, was killed on Thursday afternoon in Latifiya, just southwest of Baghdad

ps Michael D Higgins is on Today FM spinning again...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

That's 2 video Nasties I've seen this week from Iraq. Both carried out by extremist Terrorists. Below a crowd gathers on a street in Fallujah:
    07_iraq1.jpg F16 : “I got numerous individuals on the road. Do you want me to take those out?” Reply: “Take ‘em out”
    07_iraq2.jpg F16 : “Ten seconds” Reply: “Roger”
    07_iraq3.jpgF16 : “Aw, dude”

• Advertisement

from iol online
    The suffering of Ken Bigley’s mother was described tonight by his cousin.

Ken Jones ,50, said: “The family are suffering. We’re just trying to come to terms with it.

“We were prepared for this last night after the Foreign Office phoned us.

“The family were warned.”

Speaking from the family home in Walton, Liverpool, he added: “Ken’s mum Lily is suffering. We have prepared the family as best we can.

“Lily has not been allowed to watch TV and they will not be seeing the newspapers but at some stage they are going to have to come to terms with what has happened.”

Mr Jones said Ken’s brother Philip has been “turning greyer and greyer by the day”.

Mr Jones said Mr Bigley's son Craig had left his pregnant wife at home in Oxfordshire yesterday to be in Liverpool.

He added: “The whole thing stinks. The people who did this are animals, they are barbaric, worse than animals.”
    Ken Bigley's family have tonight confirmed that he has been killed.

Mr Bigley's younger brother Philip said the family believed the British government had done all it could "to secure the release of Ken".

Philip Bigley added: "It could be that the fate of Ken, (and fellow hostages) Eugene and Jack, was sealed from day one."

Britain's Foreign Secretary Jack Straw offered his condolences to the family after what he called a "barbaric murder following three weeks of terrible suffering".

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

There are another two threads on the go about this so I'll have to pick at least one to lock. This one seems the best one for that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement