Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2

Options
  • 24-09-2004 8:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Just heard the new U2 song vertigo. I like it !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It sounds weirdly like a new version of Out Of Control (which is not a bad thing!). Me likey....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

wouldn't really count myself as a u2 fan, but i must say i quite like this song as well..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Sorry to break up this U2 love in but I think the new song is crap

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

oh well...

i'm not a U2 fan at all. hate them, in fact. but the new song is quite good. the album title is very bono-esque..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

new song is capital puke,u dont need to hear bonos wailing voice to realise its them,edges trade mark 3string guitar playing sends it straight to hell once again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭vox

great tune! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Pants, as usual.

U2 are now utterly irrelevant and pointless; just a bunch of middle-aged men knocking out meaningless drivel about vertigo, elevation, moles in holes and other such rhyming-dictionary twaddle.

And they had to hire in a veritable football team of big name producers to even get the record finished.

Do the decent thing U2, retire to the Carribbean with your millions and stop inflicting your muzak on us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

one for sorrow.. and so fourth and so fourth.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

magpie wrote:
    Pants, as usual.

U2 are now utterly irrelevant and pointless; just a bunch of middle-aged men knocking out meaningless drivel about vertigo, elevation, moles in holes and other such rhyming-dictionary twaddle.

And they had to hire in a veritable football team of big name producers to even get the record finished.

Do the decent thing U2, retire to the Carribbean with your millions and stop inflicting your muzak on us.

No frickin way. They are still writing songs that still NEED to be written. 'Electrical Storm' and 'The hands that built america' were both amazing songs. "Irrelevant and pointless"??

What is pointless about one of the world's best ever bands making great music still even if they are middle-aged??
    Try telling that to the incredible amount of people who are going to try and get tickets for the Croker gigs!

And Garth Brooks sold out a week at Croke Park. Your point being?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

magpie wrote:
    Pants, as usual.

I am by no means a die hard U2 fan but I have to totally disagree with you - they put on some of the best live preformances I've ever seen and continue to come up with solid new songs, and as long as crappy boy bands and one hit wonders keep filling the radio and tv with bad rip off's and social dribble crap - Long Live U2 :)

Who would you rather listen too - Westlife or U2?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Just heard it for the second time. I'm not sure about it yet, it will prob grow on me.

Who would you rather listen too - Westlife or U2?

At least Westlife aren't building a tower of babel in honour of themselves. And you can go for a pint in McCloskeys without Ronan Keating coming in for a pint with his latest shag on the side, which is more than you can say for Bono. Westlife also spare us the delusion that what they are producing is 'art'.

Oh yeah, and Westlife don't have silly makey-up fantasy names for each other. So Bono, Edge, Guggi, Gavin Friday and all you other Trumpton Village or whatever the f*ck you call it halfwits please leave us in peace. Thank you :)

From now on I shall be known as Trollo Fiedegg. Join the cue to buy my finger paintings and third rate music at www.trollofriedegg.com. Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

magpie wrote:
    At least Westlife aren't building a tower of babel in honour of themselves. And you can go for a pint in McCloskeys without Ronan Keating coming in for a pint with his latest shag on the side, which is more than you can say for Bono. Westlife also spare us the delusion that what they are producing is 'art'.

So in other words you like the pop idol make shift boy bands and enjoy them destroying good songs with Waterman remix's? and DONT like talented song writers/singers/preformers.....each to there own Trollo ;)

and who gives a f%^K about names? if thats the case why are you called magpie and not using your real name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

magpie wrote:
    Oh yeah, and Westlife don't have silly makey-up fantasy names for each other.

Good point magpie

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

magpie wrote:
    At least Westlife aren't building a tower of babel in honour of themselves.

A very nice tower, one has to point out... and they are/will be in need of a studio...

http://www.craighenry.com/u2.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

I have to say I don't like the new song too much either.

I've never been too much of a fan of U2, and it's all Bono's fault for being incredibly obnoxious.

So in other words you like the pop idol make shift boy bands and enjoy them destroying good songs with Waterman remix's? and DONT like talented song writers/singers/preformers.....each to there own Trollo

Actually, I do like talented songwriters/singers/performers. Hence my dislike of U2. Thankfully our musical choices aren't limited to a binary decision between U2 and Pop Idol.
    A very nice tower, one has to point out... and they are/will be in need of a studio

Granted. But given that they had a studio in a dilapidated warehouse which was under a compulsory purchase order from the DDDA, did they really need an enormous tower to be built, named after them, and fitted out with a penthouse studio at the taxpayers expense as compensation? Arrogance and greed are a nasty combination, but I'm sure they will be better able to fight Third World Debt whilst snorting coke off models' arses at the top of U2 Tower.

Simple Minds must be wondering where they went wrong ;)

^^^ what a load of BOLLLLLIX

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

I like it, a ripping guitar riff and pumping bass, roll on the album....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

magpie wrote:
    Oh yeah, and Westlife don't have silly makey-up fantasy names for each other.

Yes, good point well made, magpie... :rolleyes:

I haven't heard it yet myself, but I have heard that its a lot like some of the stuff on All That You Can't Leave Behind, so thats a good thing IMHO...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I've heard it and dont like it.

Electrical Storm was muck and so is this, they are irrelevant at this stage.

And so what if they are popular, Ireland's best selling car is the Fiat Punto, that doesnt make it a good car.

magpie wrote:
    Oh yeah, and Westlife don't have silly makey-up fantasy names for each other. So Bono, Edge, Guggi, Gavin Friday and all you other Trumpton Village or whatever the f*ck you call it halfwits please leave us in peace. Thank you :).

Yeah sure let's bash Axel rose, Slash, Bob Dylan, Madonna, Eminem etc while we're at it on the name thing. THats the worst reason ever not to like someone.
    And how can you give out about Bono? The guy has done more for eliminating third world debt than any real or lay politician. He has spent years meeting with governments around the world for this cause, and then people here just call him arrogant and obnoxious. Most musicians just sit in their 'cribs' using their potential influence for absolutely fock-all and you don't give out about them. 'A nation of begrudgers' rings a bell at the moment I have to say.

And how can you give out about Bono? The guy has done more for eliminating third world debt than any real or lay politician. He has spent years meeting with governments around the world for this cause, and then people here just call him arrogant and obnoxious. Most musicians just sit in their 'cribs' using their potential influence for absolutely fock-all and you don't give out about them. 'A nation of begrudgers' rings a bell at the moment I have to say.

'Tis true, poor awl Bono slaving away for the good of all of us, and here's me saying he's a nylon hair implant wearing coke addled priapic midget with a Napoleon complex the size of the mooted U2 tower. The ingratitude of it all.

But you're right, I have strayed from the point. The last decent record U2 made was The Joshua Tree. Since then they've got too old, have lost touch with reality and now make utterly disposable music, presumably more from contractual obligation than anything else. Also, their increasingly desperate attempts to remain 'current' have blasted them further into the realms of irrelevance.

So Vertigo, Lumbago, Winnebago, Moles in Holes, Elevation, Frustration (I'm sounding like a Bono lyric now) are great if you're Tony Fenton, but just a little hackneyed for my liking. Sorry U2 fans. Sorry Bono. Please forgive my heresy. I will now go and feed the poor and starving of Lyndon Village.

Our Guggi
    Who art in Artane
    Hallowed by thy hair...
    Thy pictures be sold, by thy famous mates
    In New York as they are in Dublin
    Give us this day the Edge's Hat
    To conceal male pattern baldness
    And deliver our hair plugs, leather trousers and jackets
    For yours is the reverb, the mullets and pixie boots
    For ever and ever and ever and ever and ever (will the 80s never go away?)
    AMEN

You know it doesn't matter what you crap on about in personal attacks on Bono, the fact is that he HAS done loads for Third world debt and until these debts are cleared millions of people will continue dying each year.
    Also in my opinion, and I do believe that i'm not alone on this, that the last U2 album was fantastic.
    What makes their music 'utterly disposable'????
    THat is such a retarded comment.
    I have to say that your little prayer thingy was brilliant, i mean really :rolleyes: Out of interest, how many lonely nights did it take you to write your silly little post where the only factual gripes you have with U2 are the fact that Bono is small and Edge lost his hair, and therefore they shouldn't be making music anymore!!!
    So have you any other silly gripes with U2? Damn them with their ageing and stage names :eek:

You U2 fans really are touchy.

magpie wrote:

Our Guggi
    Who art in Artane
    Hallowed by thy hair...
    Thy pictures be sold, by thy famous mates
    In New York as they are in Dublin
    Give us this day the Edge's Hat
    To conceal male pattern baldness
    And deliver our hair plugs, leather trousers and jackets
    For yours is the reverb, the mullets and pixie boots
    For ever and ever and ever and ever and ever (will the 80s never go away?)
    AMEN

^^^wot??

magpie wrote:
    You U2 fans really are touchy.

Nice response, just pretentious people who write dumb things, like your little prayer for example, on the net bug me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

magpie I cant understand when people say things like the last decent U2 album was The Joshua Tree. Achtung BAby is my favorite album and i know other ppl might not agree with me, but to say that its not good is strange. If u like the Joshua Tree dont see how you could think Achtung Baby was not good => bad. ATYCLB was a "decent" album too, as was Zooropa.

Its easy to attack U2 cos Bono does act like a bit of a tool sometimes, but I genuinely believe that what he does he does with good intentions. He has used his celebrity for good, drawing attention to some of the world problems, so whats wrong with that?? Don't understand why people get so annoyed by him tho! If thats all it takes to get u irate I pity you.

Just out of interest magpie what would you consider a "decent" album since The Joshua Tree.

And SprostonGreen, who are a relevant group today? I dont really understand what that means?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭cilamc

There's not really much point in trying to convince people that a certain band is rubbish, I don't know why people feel the need.

That said, I would rather drink warm dog spunk through a f-cking straw than listen to another U2 record.

"If I ever end up like Bono, stab me with the kitchen knife." - Mark E. Smith

Advertisement