Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Just out of interest magpie what would you consider a "decent" album since The Joshua Tree.

You just want me to pick one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

I must admit. I fall more into the Magpie camp on this one. There’s two distinct sides to Bono criticism here.
    1. music
    2. free the hungry work

1. Music - majority of it is drivel. It’s physically painful on the ears to listen to some of his skeet lyrics! I mean there are three year olds who can write better lyrics. "Everybody be free, like me, wee wee, nothing rhymes with pee" , "lets not be hungry, ill be your mummy, homely, lets win the fighty, nothing rhymes with pope or rope or orange".

I'm not taking away from the fact that U2 have a few classic songs but in fairness the vast majority of their stuff is muck with a capital M.

2. Fund raising - as of yet Bono hasn't knocked a penny off world debt to the best of my knowledge. At least the other whinging prick Geldof can manage to put a coherent argument together. All I hear from Bono is "loike u know man people are hungry and I don't want them to be", "com'on on everybody lets try really hard man!". Let's just say he's no mother theresa. (And I'm sure he doesn't want gratitude and plaudits for his efforts either!)

But I have to admit I'm torn. It's better than nothing. And there are more people in his position who have chosen not to bother doing anything. Now if we can just knock a bit of tax out of him, I might even respect him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Ah... the great Irish begrudgers. Even moaning about someone who's trying to fight for good. There's always a way to moan about something isn't there? You probably have something moany to say about Mother Theresa as well while you're at it? What about all the bands who played live aid? Whinging bástards aren't they?

1. Music - majority of it is drivel

You are of course entitled to your opinion now, but let me just tell you it's the biggest load of bóllox I've possibly ever come across. Majority of it is drivel???! Ah, fúck this I'm not even gonna bother arguing.

/Me thinks of that old saying "never argue with stupid people....."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

The Frames rock!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Sorry Magpie, I was just trying to see what kind of album you would consider decent.

Bono obviously has an interest in the poverty of the world, and criticise him however much you like, he has made people more aware of it, and the fact that 3rd world countries receiving "aid" not only have to pay it back, but also pay interest on it too.

• Advertisement

and the fact that 3rd world countries receiving "aid" not only have to pay it back, but also pay interest on it too
    There is interest on most loans and borrowings. The Third World Countries knew there was when they borrowed. Simply eradicating Third World debt would mean **** all without structures in place to support development.

In a seriously corrupt continent for many countries debt/versus no debt means **** all because the current governments couldn't care less what the economic balance sheet says. The fact that current levels of aid can't get through to the people on the ground says a lot.
    You probably have something moany to say about Mother Theresa as well while you're at it?
    The fact that your not able to deal with rationale criticism of your hero Bono discredits any opinion you have to offer. I'm not even gonna clarify the Mother Theresa comment for you. It was easy to understand the first time I wrote. Why don't you quit your twisting of other people’s comments and tell us why you think Bono is flawless and unaffected by celebrity, money and power.
    (given that the fact that he's spent his life craving it doesn't raise doubts about his charitable motivations and the manner in which he has conducted his 'pissing in the wind' campaign to save Africa.)

but let me just tell you it's the biggest load of bóllox I've possibly ever come across. Majority of it is drivel???! Ah, fúck this I'm not even gonna bother arguing.
    Lets take a quick flick through some of Bono's finest Anne and Barry song writing:

"Hello, hello (hola!)
    I'm at a place called vertigo (dónde está)
    It's everything I wish I didn't know
    Except you give me something
    I can feel
    Feel"
    Vertigo

"A mole
    Digging in a hole
    Digging up my soul now
    Going down, excavation"
    Elevation

*moles digging souls.................as moles do!

"Hear it every Christmas time
    But hope and history won't rhyme
    So what's it worth
    This peace on Earth"
    Peace on Earth

Poetry it aint!
    Putting random words together, writing music with a dictionary, recycling guitar licks, wearing dark glasses and being cool and living on 20 year old reputation it just might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Most third world countries who accept this aid have few other options. they either take the money in the short term knowing the implications it may cause in the longterm or else the people suffer. Granted there are a lot of corrupt governments in the 3rd world and much of the money doesnt reach those who really need it. But I think the fact that countries such as the US, and The British Empire exploited many of these countries for centuries, should have some effect. Not much changing, Rich people exploiting poor people, be it in natural resources or aid interest. Repaying the borrowed money will be hard enough on a country trying to develop, without the crippling interest. Hopefully celebrities like Bono and Chris Martin highlighting the hypocrisy of 1st World Aid will make people think a bit more about the situation. And thats why Bono doesn't annoy me.

The fact that your not able to deal with rationale criticism of your hero Bono discredits any opinion you have to offer. I'm not even gonna clarify the Mother Theresa comment for you. It was easy to understand the first time I wrote. Why don't you quit your twisting of other people’s comments and tell us why you think Bono is flawless and unaffected by celebrity, money and power.

Sorry, but where did I say Bono was my hero? Yeah that's right. Nowhere.
    Where did I say Bono was flawless? Correct again, nowhere.
    In fact, I don't think I even mentioned liking the song Vertigo, which incidentally I don't.

I do however think that saying Bono/U2's songs in the majority are drivel, is stupid. Also, giving out about someone raising awareness of a 3rd world problem is stupid. Maybe I twisted your words ever so slightly, but at least I didn't conjure them out of my áss.

Dr. Loon wrote:
    Sorry, but where did I say Bono was my hero? Yeah that's right. Nowhere.
    Where did I say Bono was flawless? Correct again, nowhere.
    In fact, I don't think I even mentioned liking the song Vertigo, which incidentally I don't.

I do however think that saying Bono/U2's songs in the majority are drivel, is stupid. Also, giving out about someone raising awareness of a 3rd world problem is stupid. Maybe I twisted your words ever so slightly, but at least I didn't conjure them out of my áss.
    I think most of U2's songs are drivel. Its just my opinion though.
    Is my opinion wrong?

I don't like Bono, don't hate him either. Geldof is my man.

• Advertisement

I think most of U2's songs are drivel. Its just my opinion though.
    Is my opinion wrong?

No. Like I said. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but it seems a few poster are giving out and bashing the man just for the sake of it. Also, my opinion is that your opinion is bóllocks. It's not wrong or right, just my opinion :)

How long? How long must we smoke this bong?

Maybe I twisted your words ever so slightly, but at least I didn't conjure them out of my áss.
    .......................Tempted just to just leave this one hanging for the judgement of fellow posters.........but I will say that IMO you either misrepresent someone’s post or you don’t

ie. you pull it out of your ass or your don’t ;)
    Ok I've provided you with examples to back up my original stance. All you can say is "bollix".

So let's leave the ball in your court shall we? You provide examples of Bono's genius music and I'll be proved wrong.

Also you have to steer clear of the "classics". I've already admitted that U2 have had a few. What I am saying is that the vast majority of the rest of it is tripe of the highest order.

As for his work in Africa. I think I'm clear on this also. I suggest you re-read my post <slowly>.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Granted. But given that they had a studio in a dilapidated warehouse which was under a compulsory purchase order from the DDDA, did they really need an enormous tower to be built, named after them, and fitted out with a penthouse studio at the taxpayers expense as compensation? Arrogance and greed are a nasty combination, but I'm sure they will be better able to fight Third World Debt whilst snorting coke off models' arses at the top of U2 Tower.

You are seriously misinformed!! The tower is being built by DDDA and will consist apartments and U2 are taking the top 2 floors in compensation for the loss of their studio space. The tax payer is not out of pocket. The existing warehouse (subject to the CPO) is U2's working studio and is a high standard building where they have recorded their last 5 albums. Whether you like the music or not is a matter of opinion but they and be factual!

As far as I know the DDDA is at least partially funded by the government, therefore the tax payer (the ranks of whom U2 are not included in, as they are 'artists'). According to the DDDA the building will cost €40 Million, and they have 'not yet decided how it will be funded'.

EDIT: I've just found out that the winning design for the tower was by Phelim Dunne. Paul McGuinness' brother in law.

.......................Tempted just to just leave this one hanging for the judgement of fellow posters.........but I will say that IMO you either misrepresent someone’s post or you don’t

You should use more dots in future. It looks really cool

So let's leave the ball in your court shall we? You provide examples of Bono's genius music and I'll be proved wrong.

Er... you're a bit slow here aren't you? Where on this thread have I stated that I think Bono's music is genius? No I've nothing to prove to you. You're a fool.
    I suggest you re-read my post <slowly>.

I suggest you not reply to me again as the majority of your posts are drivel. Nowhere have I claimed U2 are genius. I have only said that to say the majority of their songs are drivel seems silly to me. I don't think you can simply dismiss a band like that. For example, I despise The Beach Boys and Brian Wilson, but I recognise what they've done, and respect it. I don't dismiss it as "drivel" just cos I don't like it. It's all about taste in the end, and someone who won't recognise this is not worth debating the topic with. That's you.

Personally I'm not a big fan, but I recognise that they've done alot of good work. In fact I'd say I'm a casual listener of U2. The only album that I didn't quite like was Pop, all the others I reckon had mostly good songs and one or two which I'd consider "drivel". That's my opinion. You've got yours - which I disagree with - and I've got mine. Leave it at that eh?

Er... you're a bit slow here aren't you?
    "never argue with stupid people....."
    You're a fool.
    Um! :eek: I don't think I'm the one here thats slow on the up-take Loon. I think you'll find that boards.ie is a discussion board. Am I not entitled to discuss the quality of U2's music? Also, why don't you take a little visit to the rules part of this board and remember that you should be asking 'mammys' permission before using the internet.
    I suggest you not reply to me again as the majority of your posts are drivel.
    Feel free to hit the ignore button Mr. Loon (or are you too compelled to miss out on an education?)
    have only said that to say the majority of their songs are drivel seems silly to me
    Oooh! Is your rock-solid stance on Bono melting a little?

Oooh! Is your rock-solid stance on Bono melting a little?

What rock solid stance?!? You're insane. I'll repeat once more, the only thing I ever claimed was it's silly to simply dismiss the majority of a whole bands career as drivel. Probably one of the most succesful bands out of Ireland, if not The most succesful. If that's "my rock solid stance" then I don't know what to say.

I think there's a few more people who posted on the thread, who I'd consider to have a stronger opinion on U2 and Bono then myself, but it looks like I'm the only one to cut through each of your posts with ease. Each reply of yours makes you look more and more foolish. So give it up.

You can discuss anything you want, but it's best not to be an irritating git while doing so.

Bringing My Mammy into this is very clever of you alright though. Fair play to you on that one. Would never have thought of that myself. Possibly because my brain has developed beyond that of a 9 year old. Ah well...

but it looks like I'm the only one to cut through each of your posts with ease. Each reply of yours makes you look more and more foolish.
    I'm happy enough to let fellow posters make up their own minds about who's the annoying little git here. ;)

As you 9 yr olds etc.... you just about managed to stop short of calling me a "big stupid head" in your previous posts. :rolleyes:
    You did however manage to point out that the few other posters in here who disagreed with you
    had nothing to offer but bóllocks
    were stupid

oh! and that I was a fool amongst other things. So again
    ooks like I'm the only one to cut through each of your posts with ease
    yes your dynamic wit is unrivalled! :eek: :rolleyes: :p

...........aaaanndd back round we go to who's being the nine year old here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Gentlemen, this is going nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Oh, my love, it's a long way we've come
    From the freckled hills to the steel and glass canyons
    From the stony fields to hanging steel from sky
    From digging in our pockets for a reason not to say goodbye

These are the hands that built America
    America

Last saw your face in a watercolor sky
    As sea birds argue, a long goodbye
    I took your kiss on the spray of the New Line Star
    You gotta live with your dreams, don't make them so hard

And these are the hands that built America
    America

Of all the promises, is this one we could keep
    Of all of the dreams, is this one still out of reach

Halle, holy

It's early fall, there's a cloud on the New York skyline
    Innocence dragged across a yellow line

I think these lyrics are really clever, people are just picking out the particularly poor ones which every band has

Doctor J wrote:
    Gentlemen

Thats presumptious.

oh! and that I was a fool amongst other things. So again yes your dynamic wit is unrivalled!

Glad you've come to your senses at last.

Anywhoo. I'm reckoning based on your argument - Bono's lyrics are silly - that you'd also write off The Beatles, The Doors and The Rolling Stones and probably plenty of other bands?

After all they have a lot of silly non-sensical lyrics don't they? Some of their songs are incredibly simple? Aren't they?

Does a song have to have deep and meaningful poetry and compicated structures to be a good song in your book?

A few examples of (I think) idiotic lyrics.
    So let it out and let it in, hey jude, begin,
    You’re waiting for someone to perform with.
    And don’t you know that it’s just you, hey jude, you’ll do,
    The movement you need is on your shoulder.

The movement you need is on your shoulder?!? What's he on about? Admittedly Lennon hated that line, but does that mean the song is shíte?
    He wear no shoeshine he got toe-jam football
    He got monkey finger he shoot coca-cola
    He say I know you, you know me
    One thing I can tell you is you got to be free
    Come together right now over me

??? Poetry it ain't. Obviously a terrible band.
    One is a bandit up in the hills, one is to love your neighbor ’till
    His wife gets home
    Catacombs, nursery bones, winter women, growing stones
    Carrying babies, to the river
    Streets and shoes, avenues, leather riders

Nonsense I tell ye!

So if you're argument is based on slagging off Bono's lyrics - which therefore in your book means they are a terrible band, you should probably go and burn the rest of your music collection?

They're some lyrics from two hugely succesful bands, I bet you a tenner I could have a trawl through your collection and find much worse. Doesn't matter though does it? Which is my point. I don't slag off a band for no reason other than my own dislike for their music.

Before you start shíting on about my "rock solid" stance again. Let me remind you, I'm no big fan, and if you can't or won't compromise on this final argument, then I'm done. I'm not wasting any more time.

Doctor J - I've found this highly amusing so far, but this is my last post on the matter. Unless Mighty mouse comes back with something semi intelligent.

Unless Mighty mouse comes back with something semi intelligent.
    I moved from amusement to disinterest at this stage.

In the end the only thing we certainly agree on is that our opinion of each other is similar. ;)

To Dr Loon and Mighty Mouse:

"It's one love, but you're not the same, you've got to carry each other, carry each other ooooooooooooo!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

liked when i first heard it now i think it stinks worse than bono's leather pants..it seems to be a cut and paste of all their other songs.....call it a day lads

Advertisement