Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bad places.. good places? help

Options
  • 24-09-2004 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

i'm moving to dublin soon... nearest the city centre as possible o'connell street northways if possible... have no car... just wondering what areas to avoid...and what areas are nice. Any help wud be great. cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

I'd avoid the area you mentioned, frankly. It's alternating ghettoes and dangerous dumps all through a large area immediately North of O'Connell St.

Smithfield is close enough to the city and reasonably safe. Christchurch is very cheap for a reason - a huge needle exchange that attracts scum like a fake Burberry cap giveaway. Temple Bar is noisy, covered in puke and very expensive. Stephen's Green, Merrion Square and the surroundings are prohibitively expensive. South Great George's St., Aungier St. and Harcourt St. are OK; your neighbours would all be Oriental or Arabic (=very quiet and friendly). Slightly further out, Parkgate St. (where I live) and Chapelizod Road are OK, but avoid the areas nearby - pimps 'n' hos on Montpellier Hill, scummy flats in O'Devaney Gardens and muggers on James' St.

edit - I looked at a map, and realised the areas I left out. Phibsboro and South Drumcondra (I grew up there, so my mother taught me not to call it Ballybough) are fine, but not exactly central. The docklands, both North and South, and the IFSC can be quite expensive and have terrible transport links of all types - few bridges and virtually no buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭country_gurl

cheers, phibsboro seems ok cheapish enough... but i had heard it was rough so i didnt follow it up. Thanks a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

cheers, phibsboro seems ok cheapish enough... but i had heard it was rough so i didnt follow it up. Thanks a mil

phibsboro is nice, full of life. Are you going to college or work? Whereabouts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Wolftone street is nice off Henry street, its quiet and central

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭country_gurl

Borzoi wrote:
    phibsboro is nice, full of life. Are you going to college or work? Whereabouts?

going to do a course but they dont provide accomo so im gonna be just a liiiiiiiitle bit strapped for cash pooh :mad:

gizzard... henry street is the 1 off o'connell street isnt it? dont think that'd be good for my morning lie ins somehow... theres always an alarm going off not 2 mention the thousands of people passing through each day

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Might be an idea to look a little further out if you're looking for something
    affordable, somewhere like Portobello, Rathmines, Rathgar, Terenure, Harolds
    Cross, Ranelagh are a bit out but you would be in the city Centre with 20 mins
    by bus and they are all services by the Nitelink for those late nights out on the
    town. :)

Tox

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The IFSC is great, if you can stretch your wallet (you won't be able to afford it unless you're sharing). Contrary to what AndrewDuffy says, it's close to public transport - the DART and red LUAS lines are just at Connolly station, right next to the IFSC and numerous buses serve O'Connell Street which is no more than ten minutes walk away.

The area is generally quiet and, I've found, safe. I've safely walked home from town countless times. There's a good few shops withn the IFSC - a Spar, Centra, and Marks and Spencers as well as numerous sandwich shops (closed in the evenings).

Never had a problem there except, as I say, you'll want to be sharing to get in . If you could share a 2 bedroom place with 2-3 others, you're sorted (there's a bunch of students in the area doing exactly this).

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Gurl
    Lots of nice appartments off capel street - toward smithfield but not in it!! Very safe as there is a courthouse with 24 hour garda patrols. I live nearby and fell its very safe. My GF also loves it cos its less than 5 min walk to o'connell st and loads of transport shops etc...
    Know of a few currently available and the landlords number if you like PM me and ill send you the addresses and numbers
    In my opinion if you stay west of O'Connell St its fine, east...not so sure about..further out in phibsboro is great for cheap and quite safe, avoid summer hill area , NCR etc... (No offence to residents of these areas)
    Gibo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Think about the southside docklands / ringsend. I live in one of the apartment developments on Charlotte Quay, not the cheapest place but very nice and there are TONS of new apartments built recently / on the way and rents have been dropping a lot. If you plan to spend €400 plus a month, might as well live in a nice apartment in a quiet and safe area. 10 minute walk into town. There is even a bar in my building!

Advertisement