Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are people playing...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I wouldn't call using more than one channel a cheap hack.......it still doubles the data rate......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

error9 wrote:
    I'm taking it that no one's playing ET then ... dammit .. heavily addicted :D

the GMIT gang does and as far as i know they are coming to glXI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Fobia wrote:
    I wouldn't call using more than one channel a cheap hack.......it still doubles the data rate......

And ramming a screwdriver into the silencer makes your car sound louder but you lose any power you had by losing the compression ratio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

lol, I love the analogy, now I understand. Syx, u should be a teacher or something! l33t

I don't think putting me in proximity of young impressionable children is wise.

All it would take is one careless quip and they'd question authority for life..... ;)

• Advertisement

Well well Syxpak, back to screwdrivers and cars are we?

Still don't see what you mean by "cheap hack", in essence it is cheap, and it is a hack.....but the way you said it seemed to be implying that this is a bad thing (your further analogy makes me more sure of this..).

You mentioned how trunking 10x 100meg switches would give you a gigabit LAN, however it would cost alot more. Indeed this is basically the same for the 802.11g multi-channel bonding, only it is is CHEAPER.

Also, you must take into account that "turbo g mode" is NOT just using multi channel bonding, it also makes use of packet bursting (my favourite), fast frames (which I can't say I really understand), and compression (the most obvious solution to faster throughput).

So, in my opinion, multi channel bonding is a cheap hack, but that's a GOOD thing! And turbo g mode has alot more to offer.

good luck with your project, I'm always here to offer my limited knowledge of 802.11b networks ( :D ).

que

gwan fobia, stick it to the man. I want in on the arguement, /me google's cheap hack. /me fails :-)
    Do u get full duplex of 108meg?

Apparently. The fundamental flaw in this arguement is that neither I nor syxpak have had ANY experience with 802.11g whatsoever :p.

In Dublin, they report links of 108 megs active, but that could be speculation (ye know them dubliners sure).

We're both running on theory........but my theory is better! ;)

que

Fobia wrote:
    Well well Syxpak, back to screwdrivers and cars are we?

Still don't see what you mean by "cheap hack", in essence it is cheap, and it is a hack.....but the way you said it seemed to be implying that this is a bad thing (your further analogy makes me more sure of this..).

Why must you get so riled up?
    Christ, you'd think this was important or something :)

It's a bad thing because it uses up channels which are scarce enough as it is and will adversely affect other people's WLAN performance if they happen to be on one of the same channels as your network is using, not to mention they can lose connection completely if their hardware isn't *quite* compatible.

It's a cheap hack.

If you're using it in a house or something, you should just use CAT5e/CAT6 and 100/1000Mbit.
    For things like the WAN, the extra speed is nice, but should be used for backhaul links where the antennas have a tight beam so as not to interfere with other people's network.
    It's a matter of common courtesy when using a public resource (unlicensed electromagnetic spectrum)

Sniipe wrote:
    Do u get full duplex of 108meg?

No, unless the radio arrangement can use one channel to send and one to recieve.

And you won't reach anything like 108MBit throughput, more like 60Mbit or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

tekkit to the wireless forum funboi's

anyone up for a game of the half-life mod "counter-strike"? i heard its quite good. it has guns and you can play as terrorists or counter terrorists and you do stuff.

windows ME???? AHAHAHAHA!!!!111

Team fortress?
    just kidding re:above. Counter-stike sounds like a fun a realistic game. I'll prob play that.
    Urban Terror is a terrible game imo (just thought I'd throw that in).

Pity HL2 won't be out in time!

Hehe, I never get riled up these days, just love argueing :) .

Indeed it is only used for backhauls, but apparently the throughput is alot higher than 60mbit (according to marclar ;) )...... but as I've said, neither one of us really know enough to argue in this debate, let alone win :D .

About the channels tho, I wouldn't call 14 limited :D (yes, eu = 1 to 13 but hey, thought I'd mention this anyways)

http://www.irishwan.org/board/showthread.php?t=1824

a little prog which can change many things, only available on the WAN but I'll have it up on my ftp at glXI/can put it onto a floppy for you if you need it beforehand.

It's pretty damn cool!

Only works on truemobile (Dell) cards, apparently with wavelan too.....

good luck, remember, don't take anything for granted with WANs, that's what makes them so much fun :) ,

que

oh and team fortress ORIGINAL rocks.....not yer fancy cs version.

the q3 mod "not team fortress" is pretty good, too....wouldn't mind playing that at glXI

anyone up for dark omen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

bloody hell think I've got that somewhere ...

never really got anywhere with dark omen ... think I needed a patch cus it crashed and I didn't have net access at teh time ...

but I'd guess we'd go with warhammer damn of donuts ...

Fobia wrote:
    Hehe, I never get riled up these days, just love argueing :) .

Indeed it is only used for backhauls, but apparently the throughput is alot higher than 60mbit (according to marclar ;) )...... but as I've said, neither one of us really know enough to argue in this debate, let alone win :D .

About the channels tho, I wouldn't call 14 limited :D (yes, eu = 1 to 13 but hey, thought I'd mention this anyways)
    13/14 is limited.
    http://www.irishwan.org/board/showthread.php?t=1824

a little prog which can change many things, only available on the WAN but I'll have it up on my ftp at glXI/can put it onto a floppy for you if you need it beforehand.

It's pretty damn cool!

Only works on truemobile (Dell) cards, apparently with wavelan too.....

good luck, remember, don't take anything for granted with WANs, that's what makes them so much fun :) ,

que

As would be 29999/300000.......but in a practical sense.....you're hardly gonna have 12 people within a 4-5 km range transmitting over 2.4Ghz.....are you?

Off-Topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

That means jam a spice weasel in it.

Advertisement