Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xp-sp2+filesharing prob

• 24-09-2004 10:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Like a lot of people I stuck on sp2 for xp and am having no major probs expect
    my filesharing utils have gone to sh$t(getting little or no bandwidth).The internet side of things seem to be ok(browsing/email). I did what was suggested on MS support as regards adding programs you wanted to the exception list in your Ms firewall but no joy, has anyone else had more sucess with fixes for these types of programs?. IF not I will propely do a format/re-install as I have no faith it will sovle the problem doing a step back. The only other question is if I do a format/re-install and then go to MS to update will it direct me to sp2 or can you still get sp1 which was on the machine when it was working
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There is a limit set on the number of TCP/IP connections you can have with sp2, and this can cause havoc with P2P apps. If you're using XP Home, you're very badly limited.

You know this is causing the problem if/when you're using a filesharing app and you are trying to surf the web - you'll click on a page, it'll pause, then the data will fly through, then pause again, etc. It's caused by the queueing of connections.

Search the web for a hack for tcpip.sys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Generally Seamus I only have one thing on the go in a fileshare prog and usually leave the machine alone(usually at night). I would put it down to maybe bad torrents but most of them have numerous seeds and a good few peers. I understand these progs are slow out of the gate but even after an hour or so still getting very d/l speeds, anyways will give that hack a try Thks. Still wondering does anyone know for sure if you can still get sp1 on MS site if I do a re-install or is it only sp2?
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can still roll back SP2, to the way it was before. The problem with bittorrent is that for each torrent, it makes multiple connections, so the queue becomes full very quickly, even with one active torrent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Tried the roll back joby but it bitched about not finding a file to do with the firewall(sods law, the thing I most want to get rid of) even tried turning it off but still get bad speeds. Forgot about the multiple connections with torrents, will do the hack and see where I am appreciate the help

Advertisement