Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iframe help!

Options
  • 24-09-2004 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

On my site www.alcobuds.com I've decided to make a change.

I want to put a limited iframe in the centre within which will be the most recent updates (say the last 5) and then they can still go the archived updates page.

I will then use the space underneath this frame to highlight current threads/discussions on the forums.

My problem is that when I create an iframe - 100% wide that it not only puts a scrollbar on the right so they can scroll down but also a scroll bar underneath so they can scroll over.

There is no need for this - its accessing a page which only has 5 tables - each set at 100%, even when they're set at 90& the scollbar is active.

Please help.

Also, is the change to the page layout a good/bad idea? Why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

any chance of seeing a sample of what you are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

have you tried using the SCROLLING="no" or auto property?

http://www.theukwebdesigncompany.com/articles/iframes.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

You could also try using the CSS overflow property:

http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_pos_overflow.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

I can't set the scroll to NO as then they won't be able to scroll down through the updates. It will remove both the scroll bar on the right and the scroll bar on the bottom.

I had a quick look at the CSS overflow - the attribute appears to be hidden but won't that hide the content below also?

I appreaciate any help you can give.

I might try redesigning the loaded page without tables. They most likely won't be needed when the content loads into the iframe which has defined properties. Don't know if this will solve the problem though.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Have you tried setting a width on the content in your iframe's source so that it is always less than the size you set for the iframe it's embedded in?

• Advertisement

The iframe it's imbedded is set to be 100% - so that it will expand & contract based on users with higher or lower resolutions.

More direct answer to your question I set the width of the table in the content page to 90& and no change. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 44 andersde10

To be honest I've never really seen the need for iframes, why introduce the complexity? What are you hoping to gain by using the iframe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

again i call for you to post up your html source, as I just did a quick test using iframe, sourcing a page with a table, width set to 100% and there was no problems, then i threw in 5 more tables - again no problems

Ph3n0m wrote:
    again i call for you to post up your html source, as I just did a quick test using iframe, sourcing a page with a table, width set to 100% and there was no problems, then i threw in 5 more tables - again no problems

I'll just do it and how you. (It'll probably work for me now - hehe - hopefully!)

The point is to gain some page space, that is being taken up by updates that are read once and then its old news.

The other option is to just move the updates off the page quicker. Only leaving the last 2 up or something.

I've made the change, I figured out what was causing the problem but for the life of me I don't know why.

The doctype declaration in the document of the source for the iframe caused the problem.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"&gt;

If it was in the file I got the scroll bar, if i removed it it was fine.

I even changed it to the frameset declaration, no difference.

Weird huh?

Look - www.alcobuds.com

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

i had a similiar problem so what i did was stick in the exact height and width attributes took a couple of minutes to get it bang on but it worked grand.

Well, in my situation I didn't want an exact width, I did set an exact height but the point was the doc that went into the iframe would be a lot bigger and I wanted them to scroll up and down.

Anyhow, it works now.

Advertisement