Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem: USB2 support on COMPAQ laptop

• 24-09-2004 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭

Hi, am new to boards but looks liek might be solution to this (and maybe my many othe rproblems lol)
    Have compaq laptop, with USB1.0

Bought USB2 PCMCIA card ( right name I hope, thing that slots in)

tit only runs at USB1.0 speeds no USB2 drivers
    Have serached Microsoft sites and got lost following some thread about initial problems with USB2 etcetc
    found a driver / solution but the link is now dead

any one any ideas

I want it to copy data / backup to aneat external drive thingy

OH also if I bought an external DVD burner any one know will that run way too slow off USB1 ?

Believe it or not I do know a little about computers
    but juggling 12 things at once these days so can't concentrate on being more
    ...well clear I guess

Cheers
    :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Sounds like a simply driver issue, like u said. Did you reveive any drivers with the card e.d. mini CD, If not post the make & model of the card & I'll give u a link to the drivers.

Thanks JoePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Also what OS are u?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Firstly if you're connecting nowt but USB1.1 devices to it (are you?), it'll only run at the lower speed.

Secondly, if you're running windows XP, have you installed service pack 1 (or service pack 2)?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Where does it say you are getting USB 1.0 speeds ?
    ie. get a device you know to be USB 2 (memory stick) and check file transfer speeds - don't forget to turn off Antivirus for the test since a compaq with no USB 2.0 on board ain't going to have a lot of procesor power to spare

If running 98 then make sure you have updated on windows update and check the drives again - esp because of the differences between 98 and 98SE from what I rememeber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

wow ! some one is responding (better than 11 pointless emails from COMPAQ)

Running XP home

Knowints reading at USB! because it tells me !!
    says it recognises high speed device but then copy rate is crap

Maybe posting make and number best option? (gotta find it at home / just moved !0

NO cd with it because "no driver needed as suppported by XP SP 1" so the blurb thingy said

SP1 is installed, have SP" in bag but not got to install yet

thanx for the help so far

Hmm_messiah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

|Sorry for getting back to this so late , but moved house and only getting around to unpacking

i put in the card tonight and attached an external hard drive.

Previously windows was telling me I an an "enhanced device" attached but that it would only be running at a slower speen because or sometign,

I can't remember the exact words, and it DIDN'T come up this time (SP2 installed since)

is there some way i can check the hub is running at usb2.0

Other than the drive I have no other device specifically made for usb 2
    (maybe the flash memory watch thing I didn't unpack yet )

Some one mentioned the processing power of a compac, and turning off the mcAfee
    the card only works if powered by a thingy put into the mose socket

Really I want to buy a dvd durner and don't see a point unless I get USB2.o like speeds
    (correct me if I'm wrong)

FInally, on that point, anyone recomment an external dvd burner?
    Is buying an internal one (eg Pioneer mentioned on other threads) and a casing practical/recommended for some one displaying my liited technical skills?

thanks for the help

Advertisement