Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reputation points abuse

Options
  • 24-09-2004 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

I'm getting a little sick and tired of this reputation points thing, so much so that I'm seriously considering not using boards.ie again.

Why on earth are people giving bad reputation points to people if they don't like a joke they have posted or sometimes for no reason at all.

Surely if you don't like a joke don't take it out on the poster, you're not going to find every joke you read funny

I got these lovely comments from various unknowns and this has fu*ked up my rep.

rep.jpg

MOD'S, GET RID OF THIS STUPID SYSTEM !!!!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Verdammt wrote:
    I'm getting a little sick and tired of this reputation points thing, so much so that I'm seriously considering not using boards.ie again.

Now that you've thrown your toys out of the pram, how about a little perspective? For a start, why let it bother you? Is a couple of green dots that important to you? Its not like people are painting you as the antichrist (though you claim to be a trainee...) People are getting far too wound up about rep, just let it go folks.

Verdammt wrote:
    Why on earth are people giving bad reputation points to people if they don't like a joke they have posted or sometimes for no reason at all.

I've just read the joke...jaysus thats poor. Still, I wouldn't give you bad rep for it, more likely I'd say :rolleyes: or something.

Cheer up. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

You're considering not using boards anymore, because of a little extra feature you can ignore? How bout you click on that little icon that makes sure the rep points aren't displayed in your user CP. Then it's like not having a rep points system at all.

Why does it bother you so much, though... really?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Ah did the bad people give you neg rep? Diddums. Please continue to seriously think about leaving boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

amp wrote:
    Ah did the bad people give you neg rep? Diddums. Please continue to seriously think about leaving boards.

You have the check to call me childish. It's a stupid add-in that we could all do without. I haven't heard anyone praise it yet.

It doesn't bother me so much that i'd loose sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

amp wrote:

amp, you're not "just really nice" at all. Verdammt - turn it off, like koneko said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Verdammt wrote:
    I haven't heard anyone praise it yet.

I like it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I post jokes too, some good, some - what's the word... oh yeah - shyte.

I put this at the start of a recent post.

"If you don't like the jokes just say so, don't fúck up my rep.
    You might like the next one, ok?
    If you enjoy the jokes half as much as I do remember I'm enjoying them twice as much as you. :D "

I'm not sucking up for good rep - but I don't want bad rep.

So to some extent I agree with Verdammt.
    But jayses that joke was cruel man, no offence ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I like the reputation system. For one thing, when someone posts something that's a bit muppetry, they get red dots in silence as opposed to the thread being clogged up with "you muppet" replies. It gives people a sense that they've another way of expressing their opinions meaning things go smoother. I don't like it when someone gives me a red dot for seemingly no reason, but the system is set up so that those red dots aren't worth much especially if the person giving them is handing them out like sweets on Hallowe'en.

Hagar wrote:

So to some extent I agree with Verdammt.
    But jayses that joke was cruel man, no offence ;)

Everyone to their own is what I say. It's amazing how many people actually find it very funny, maybe I just have a strange sense of humour.

I think this is just the tip of the iceberg, the only people who seem to be for the reputation system are the mods and the people that have 4 or 5 green spots beside their names.

I seriously think there should be an official vote to keep it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Lovely another thread about the Karma System. What did we talk about before it was implemented?

IMO the facility to give Karma annonymously should be removed, that leaves it open to abuse. I have no problem with the people i give karma to knowing it . Reading Devs comments in one of the other threads I think this may be uinder considedration already .

On the plus side it is a nice way to give feedback to individulal users without cluttering up the forum with "LOL" or as is more likely in my case "Ya Muppet"
    comments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'm almost fit to give you a red one for starting another bloody whiney thread on the subject... Can one of the mods please combine all the current threads into one and call it an official whinge of something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Verdammt, if I remember correctly your rep was green when you started this thread....now it's red. Obviously ppl don't want to listen to you moaning about rep, just switch it off!!

Obviously ppl don't want to listen to you moaning about rep, just switch it off!!

Umm , wait , where's that switch ??

Mods, lock the tread or whatever you usually do when you don't want to listen to someone giving their point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Little arrows nexto where yours said "3 points total", you won't have to look at it again then.

None of the mods (of feedback)/admins have replied in this thread. You're taking far too serious an attitude towards this, and it won't help to get snotty about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Reading this thread I would have to say that I am undecided about the ‘Reputation’ feature, however I do feel strongly that Verdammt should not be allowed to breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

[sarcasm] if i didnt have my green dots i just dont know what id do. probably end up feeling lonley cos the people on the intarweb dont like me and obviously this would crush my self esteem and i would become a complete social outcast. :rolleyes: [/sarcasm]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

[sarcasm] this would crush my self esteem and i would become a complete social outcast. :rolleyes: [/sarcasm]

What !!!, even more than you are now ??? 4560 posts later .......

Verdammt wrote:
    What !!!, even more than you are now ??? 4560 posts later .......
    someone on the web, slagged me. now i really have no reason to go on. life can be such a bitch sometimes.

someone on the web, slagged me. now i really have no reason to go on. life can be such a bitch sometimes.

My work here is done ... . . . .. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

The Muppet wrote:
    IMO the facility to give Karma annonymously should be removed, that leaves it open to abuse. I have no problem with the people i give karma to knowing it . Reading Devs comments in one of the other threads I think this may be uinder considedration already.

Ah But wouldn't it be nice to watch the fun if the 'Who gave you the Karma' was back dated to the start.

Cal

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Hold out there, SMAK... it's gonna be alllllllllright.. :D
    No wonder you get so much bad karma verdammt... look what you've done to the poor guy!

group hug?

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Cal wrote:
    Ah But wouldn't it be nice to watch the fun if the 'Who gave you the Karma' was back dated to the start.

Cal

good idea, was wonderin who called me a ******* ******** ****

flogen wrote:

group hug?
    /me drops hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I just got one of these with no comment reputation_balance.gif

Does this mean people are throwing stones at me now, or what?

I just got one of these with no comment reputation_balance.gif

Does this mean people are throwing stones at me now, or what?

Just got a blank one of those myself. I think there's something rotten in the ranks !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Why dont all the people who are upset with the rep system get together and create a good-karma exchange system, then they can all live in the green world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

The Karma system is bo||ox. It's like some sort of a popularity contest.

If you don't agree with someone's views then you give them bad karma?

All the mods get positive karma because they are well know despite the fact that some of them are cócks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Just ignore it so.
    Or if they are cocks why not give them negative karma to make yourself feel better, obviously it's eating you up inside.
    I just wanna be loved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Makaveli wrote:
    obviously it's eating you up inside.

Hardly, I just made one comment saying that is bo||ox.

My point is that the reputation system serves no purpose other than a popularity contest.

Maybe you should read the whole thread before attempting your nerdy sarcastic humour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement