Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reputation points abuse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If you search for "vbulletin" and "karma" on Google at the moment, the top result is boards.ie..

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

/me good karmas makaveil

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

ballooba wrote:
    Hardly, I just made one comment saying that is bo||ox.

My point is that the reputation system serves no purpose other than a popularity contest.

Maybe you should read the whole thread before attempting your nerdy sarcastic humour.

I did read the whole thread.
    My point is who cares about karma. I pay it no heed.
    I'm not the one moaning about mods having high karma ratings.
    Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

How do i switch of the rep points system for myself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

BuffyBot wrote:
    If you search for "vbulletin" and "karma" on Google at the moment, the top result is boards.ie..
    Until I tried it, I thought he was joking... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Until I tried it, I thought he was joking... :eek:
    same as me. says it all really. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I bloody well hate you "insert random boards user", and I've given you negative karma to reflect that point - Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Makaveli wrote:
    I did read the whole thread.
    My point is who cares about karma. I pay it no heed.
    I'm not the one moaning about mods having high karma ratings.
    Get over it.

I'm not moaning about karma. If you read the whole thread then you would have realised that i didn't start it. I was never 'under it'.

This is a feedback forum and the feedback i'm giving is that the karma system serves no purpose and is a waste of space/resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Well, I personally hate it because of Verdammat's same reaosn as well(lame comments that really don't deserve bad rep).

However, I do like looking at the ever growing number of green/red dots a person has, obviously getting new rep titles with the more green/red dots you have! That's something I like about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

ballooba wrote:
    The Karma system is bo||ox. It's like some sort of a popularity contest.

If you don't agree with someone's views then you give them bad karma?

All the mods get positive karma because they are well know despite the fact that some of them are cócks.

Well said

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Verdammt wrote:
    What !!!, even more than you are now ??? 4560 posts later .......

OH NOES SOMEONE GAVE ME BAD REP AND NOW MY E-FRIENDZ WON'T LIKE ME ANY MORE WHAT WILL I DO!!!!!!

I KNOW I'LL COMPLAIN ABOUT A NUMBER ON A WEBPAGE AND THEN SLAG SOMEONE ELSE BECAUSE HE HAS MORE POSTS ON A WEBSITE THAN I DO!!

In short, **** off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Verdammt wrote:
    I seriously think there should be an official vote to keep it or not.

<enter "boards.ie is not a democracy" comment here>

It's not doing any harm to you (you wont get banned for having bad rep), so whats the big deal?
    Do you really care what a few internet peoples think about you or your joke? Does it really matter to you that much?

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Verdammt wrote:
    the only people who seem to be for the reputation system are the mods and the people that have 4 or 5 green spots beside their names.

...you do seem to miss the incredibly large difference between "being for the system" and being absolutely and utterly sick of having to hear the same argument over and over and over and over......and over again while its blatantly obvious that DeV and ecksor and regi and cloud KNOW peoples opinions on the system already and sitting here going "wah wah someone made me look bad on the interweb" (and you probably got way way way more bad karma for this thread than anything else) is not gonna change the teensiest little thing in their minds.

on that note.....i'm going back to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

eh..can I have some good karma please, I was almost famous a little while ago and it was a nice feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Saint

crash_000 wrote:
    ...you do seem to miss the incredibly large difference between "being for the system" and being absolutely and utterly sick of having to hear the same argument over and over and over and over......and over again while its blatantly obvious that DeV and ecksor and regi and cloud KNOW peoples opinions on the system already and sitting here going "wah wah someone made me look bad on the interweb" (and you probably got way way way more bad karma for this thread than anything else) is not gonna change the teensiest little thing in their minds.

on that note.....i'm going back to bed.

Somehow I doubt cloud or Regi waste there time on this crap. And as for Dev And Ecksor, its all for their personal amusement, the dirty trolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

thanks ;) feel better already.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

well see Saint everyone just seems to say "DeV and ecksor" so i felt cloud and regi might like a bit of a mention :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Verdammt wrote:
    You have the check to call me childish.

I call a spade a spade. Usually. Although there were times this weekend when I called it a club. Besides, I can't check, I can either call or fold as I'm under the gun.
    It's a stupid add-in that we could all do without. I haven't heard anyone praise it yet.

I love it. I think it's great fun. You only want it removed because people told you your joke was crap. Which it was. This way you'll hopefully not post crap jokes any more and if the system is helping reduce the amount of crap posted on boards then by god I think it should stay.
    It doesn't bother me so much that i'd loose sleep.

Any word on your decision to leave boards or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Saint wrote:
    Somehow I doubt cloud or Regi waste there time on this crap. And as for Dev And Ecksor, its all for their personal amusement, the dirty trolls.
    Wasn't it Cloud's idea in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Karma system is built into vbb 3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

It has been used for a while on boards.jp which cloud was involved in.
    (I'm stalking him)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

Ok, before you jump down my throat, bear in mind that I'm a newbie and am bound to ask stupid questions!
    I'm just wondering what the big deal is? Why does it matter? Am I missing something? Isn't it just feedback?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

gnu wrote:
    Ok, before you jump down my throat, bear in mind that I'm a newbie and am bound to ask stupid questions!
    I'm just wondering what the big deal is? Why does it matter? Am I missing something? Isn't it just feedback?

It can be irritating when you get negative feedback for no apparent reason. However, overall, I like karma but I think that people should give reasons why they're not happy with a particular post otherwise you get the creepy feeling you're being picked on by some anonymous stalker type!

simu wrote:
    It can be irritating when you get negative feedback for no apparent reason. However, overall, I like karma but I think that people should give reasons why they're not happy with a particular post otherwise you get the creepy feeling you're being picked on by some anonymous stalker type!

Thanks for explaining. I just imagined it was like "real life" where if you express your opinions or tell jokes etc, you affect ppl's opinions of you. I can imagine it must be frustrating if you don't know why you got bad rep, but I'd have thought there was always a reason, even if it's not obvious. I agree with your suggestion of giving a reason cos then you at least have a chance to do something about whatever has caused offence if necessary.

Hehe, the irony! To those of you I outraged enough to give me bad rep just now, sorry! It was just a sincerely-meant innocent question!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I like the rep system and I don't have 5 green dots.................yet ;) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

amp wrote:
    Any word on your decision to leave boards or not?

No, i have decided to stick around for a while to annoy the like's of you with my sh!t jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Verdammt wrote:
    No, i have decided to stick around for a while to annoy the like's of you with my sh!t jokes.

They made me laugh but I've given out too much karma today already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

As the noted poet George O'Dowd once wrote on the subject of Karma:

'Didn't hear your wicked words every day
    And you used to be so sweet I heard you say
    That my love was an addiction
    When we cling our love is strong
    When you go you're gone forever
    Loving would be easy if your colours were like my dream
    Red, gold and green'

Stirring (and relevant) sentiments I'm sure you'll all agree and hopefully ones that we can all take something meaningful from in order to help us march undaunted into the post-karma-bashing era!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Is there a database that could rate good and bad rep, who gives it, who gets it, what the rates of good and bad rep are, what rates of good or bad rep different people give? Would be an interesting exercise.

We (mostly) being Irish, and having grown up with the Irish disapproval method of nurture, I bet most rep would be bad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement