Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving with no license

Options
  • 24-09-2004 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Ok before the flame war starts on telling me im a muppet,
    i already know that bit. But heres the story.

I was driving for the last 2 days with no licence.
    I got pulled over today as there were 3 other bald guys in the car with me.
    They searched us but then asked for my licence.
    I havent got one but told them i didnt bring it with me.
    They impounded the car. What you reckon is gonna happen?

Also no licence means no insurance.
    Am i ****ed or what!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yeah I'd say so, and to be honest, and I know you don't want to hear this, it's your own fault.

What were you doing driving around with no licence and no insurance? Was it life or death? I'd hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭giveth

Hopefully, you will go to jail for a considerable period.

Ive been working my ass off to pay €1300 a year for insurance and another €400 for tax, and u think its fine to go out with nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Diabolus wrote:
    Ok before the flame war starts on telling me im a muppet,
    i already know that bit. But heres the story.

I was driving for the last 2 days with no licence.
    They searched us but then asked for my licence.
    I havent got one but told them i didnt bring it with me.
    They impounded the car. What you reckon is gonna happen?

Also no licence means no insurance.
    Am i ****ed or what!
    Pretty much. Driving without a licence is two points if you pay the fine. Up to 5 points if there is a court appearance.

I'm not sure, but afaik, the Gardai tend not to double-sting people for no licence and no insurance (even though, as you say, no licence = no insurance). Driving with no insurance will land you a big fine, and up to 5 points.

So, very worst case scenario, you end up with two big fines and 10 points on your licence. You won't be disqualified, but your insurance may go up, and you'll have to drive like a saint for 3 years.

Best case scenario, you pay a fixed fine, get two points and learn a valuable lesson.

Did you actually have zero insurance, or just no licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Diabolus wrote:

What's the relevance of this fact, or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

I have neither.
    No licence so no insurance.
    Will i not get banned from driving for 5 years for driving without a licence.

P.S. the relevance for the bald guys was we looked suspicious :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

is the car insured in anyones name. do you not even have an old provisional licence you can hand up. apply for the test and bring the letter to the station.

Same sort of thing happend to me, but my licence was out of date by a couple of months when I was pulled over. I was lucky enough to get away with a warning.

The car belongs to my dad.
    It was company insured but not anymore.
    I have no provisional either.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

hopefully a stay in the prison system will make you see some sense!
    fingers crossed that the car will be crushed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Why do people think that they're above the law, or that it doesn't apply to them?

Enjoy your stay in the Grey Bar Hotel, and may you be banned from driving for a long, long time... Hell, not that driving illegally has stopped you before or anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Diabolus wrote:
    I have neither.
    No licence so no insurance.
    Heh, still doesn't answer my question. :)
    What I meant was, have you paid for insurance and just have no licence, or have you neither? If I had my way, you'd be banned permanently for the latter, and the Gardai will rape you for it, but if it's the former, you'll get off easy.
    Will i not get banned from driving for 5 years for driving without a licence.
    Not here anyway. You may do for driving without insurance though. Have you ever been licenced? If not, you may do jail time too.

Have fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Diabolus wrote:
    The car belongs to my dad.

Did your father have knowledge of you taking the car and if he did, does he assume you have a license?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Sounds like a case of an idiot taking the dads car when he was on holidays. Maybe he's young and made a dumb mistake? And now he has to pay the bid price of getting caught. I've no sympathy being someone who pays my insurance and being at the wrong end of an accident with an uninsured person in the past and having had to pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I hope you punched his lights out then again he probably would end up getting some compo from you.... arrggghh

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Driving without insurance is a very serious offence in this country and if you find a judge who takes a disliking to you, you could end up with a prison sentence. I'd let that hair grow a bit for the trail if I was you :) The licence bit is minor compared to the insurance issue but the fact that you had neither isn't going to help your chances. Most likely scenario you'll get a fine of €2,500 and year's ban for driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

First offence of no insurance is not an automatic disqualification, but it is a mandetory endorsement.

Best case scenario is €200 fine approx and endorsement. Worst case is 12 months disq and €500 fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I hope you punched his lights out then again he probably would end up getting some compo from you.... arrggghh

I got the compo from the MIB but it was a major pain in the ass and my car isn't right since, just little creaks and a door slightly mis aligned so it has worn the paint off in places from closing. The guy was a Roma gypo and pretty big plus loads of his fellow romanys were on the scene fairly quickly. A few weeks later he was back on the road doing the same thing and the cops didn't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The best thing you can do to help your defense is don't wash your hair for a fortnight prior, turn up to the trial wearing an old tracksuit, and keep a litre bottle of Lidl cider beside you at all times...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

The best thing you can do to help your defense is don't wash your hair for a fortnight prior, turn up to the trial wearing an old tracksuit, and keep a litre bottle of Lidl cider beside you at all times...

:D

And don't forget the thick gold chains!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Diabolus wrote:
    P.S. the relevance for the bald guys was we looked suspicious :p
    LOL

Ah prejudgice, where would crime prevention be without it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hate to say this but MUPPET MUPPET MUPPET.

Question, what would you have done had you of crashed into someone and it was your fault? *THEY* would have had to fork out for repairs to their own car because you had no insurance. Man, get a clue.
    Even worse, you drove around SUSPICIOUSLY :eek:

As i said at the start i know im a muppet.
    But i dont plan to live in this country for more than 6 months more.
    Its crazy to pay the insurance fees for this country.
    That and the license test here is rediculous.

Ive driven in australia for less than a tenth of what you pay here.
    I aint above the law , im a 19yr old muppet.
    Too young to CARE.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Diabolus wrote:
    As i said at the start i know im a muppet.
    But i dont plan to live in this country for more than 6 months more.
    That and the license test here is rediculous.

Too young to CARE.
    Words fail...
    Yeah it is criminally expensive to drive here. Only very recently in this country could most adults expect to have a car, most people in the third world will never drive a car. It's not a right. You are not entitled to put other people at risk

But not having insurance PROVES you don't have any concept of a duty of care to others. Not having a driving license reinforces this. If I was the judge I'd simply point out that since the defendant had none of the necessities to DRIVE the car it shoud be considered that they were in possesion of a dangerous weapon in a public place, reckless endangerment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Diabolus wrote:
    But i dont plan to live in this country for more than 6 months more...

...Too young to CARE.

And this gives you what right exactly? You think just because your going to be gone in 6- months that you can just go breaking the law! What about *if* you had crashed? you would run off and just leave the person over here with a huge bill and nothing to do?

Personally I hope you pay... a LOT. There may be ridiculous insurance but do you want to have a guess why?.....

Incase your incredible stupid (which it sounds like you might be) it because of people like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Did you have a licence to drive in Australia?

My advice for you is to EMIGRATE SOON and do us all a favour. :(

I should note that you are allowed get insured for only 6 months of the year, so you had no excuse.

We should show this thread to the judge and then we'll see about that trip to Australia :D

"Off to prison.
    Too young to care baby!! :D"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My advice for you is to EMIGRATE SOON and do us all a favour.
    And this gives you what right exactly? You think just because your going to be gone in 6- months that you can just go breaking the law! What about *if* you had crashed? you would run off and just leave the person over here with a huge bill and nothing to do? Personally I hope you pay... a LOT. There may be ridiculous insurance but do you want to have a guess why?..... Incase your incredible stupid (which it sounds like you might be) it because of people like you.

But not having insurance PROVES you don't have any concept of a duty of care to others.
    MUPPET MUPPET MUPPET

I like the smell of roasting law-breaker on a Saturday Afternoon. :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Diabolus wrote:

Too young to CARE.

Insurance is not an optional extra . "19 and too young to care" does that not sound very immature to you? At 19 you should grow up and take responsibility for the consequences of your actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Insurance premiums are not a legit excuse. I'm 18. I bought my car back in May. I couldnt afford insurance at the time so I LEFT THE CAR IN THE DRIVE_WAY until I could afford it! Driving is a privilige, not a right. If you want to take advantage of that privilige you must pay the necessary..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Diabolus wrote:

Partly caused by unlicensed and uninsured little brats like yourself.

I felt a little sympathy for you when you posted first, now I suggest you invest in some vaseline to "ease" the transition to prison life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement