Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

automatic program correction

Options
  • 24-09-2004 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

does ne1 know where i can get any info on automatic program correction?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

google.gif

Honestly though, I have no idea what you're talking about, so if you went into a little more detail, maybe we could help...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is the programming board, and you need an automatic program corrector....

This means one of two things:

1. You're looking for a code optimiser.
    2. You're looking for something which analyses your program and automatically corrects any mistakes you've made.

Number one exists in abundance.

Number 2 may exist, but will be very diffcult to implement and will give you mixed results, for two reasons:

A machine can never know what your intention is. It can only guess. I don't know about you, but for me about 50% of the things that the Word spellchecker recommends are wrong or would change the meaning of my document. The same would be the problem with automatic code correction.
    The Halting Problem, put forth by Alan Turing, may also come into play.

If it's number 2, get yourself a debugger and correct the code yourself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

seamus wrote:
    This means one of two things:
    Sorry to correct you seamus but it can actually mean three things the third being:

3) I need someone to help me get information about my final year project

Right, lukeUCD ;) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭lukeUCD

cheers seamus il look into that code optimiser.
    ye tis me final year project just got it the other day! one of the things in it is program correction but i was thinkin along the lines of seamus and ms word's spell check!

thanks for all your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You mean programmatic correction? That makes more sense...

If you want to create something like a spell check, you'll probably want to look into regular expressions or Markov Chaining

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

JTest does programmatic correction, but isn't free. There are others for Eclipse but their names escape me.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

I did something similar for my final year project; this depends heavily on the language you intend to correct (E.g. C,C++,Java,C# e.t.c)

If I were you and have had no previous experience of programming Language Grammar, then I’d ask for another project Right now before its to late.

Else you might want to do a search for Language grammar,(i.e Google, C Grammar)

And look at Lex and Yacc

Another word of advice, start trying to learn the Lex & Yacc tool now as well as the Grammar for your chosen language, don’t leave it to late as it is a very complex thing, even for a small language.

If you have a choice of languages to do your program correctness on, pick Pascal, as it is very well defined(i.e. No surprises).

Dont Pick C

Avoid black/white text in your posts, as some of the boards themes make it unreadable. I can' see your post.

If you’re talking about my post hobbles then I’m Sorry what ever I did wasn’t intentional, I have a slight problem with my spelling:o so I type replies in MS word then copy and past them into reply box.

remove the [ color = black ] from your posts. No one can read them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

jessy wrote:
    I have a slight problem with my spelling
    Ok then go get FireFox and type in your reply when you reach a word that you are not certain is spelled correctly then copy the word with a quick Shift+Ctrl+Left Arrow Key and open a new tab Ctrl+t then press Tab and finally Ctrl+v you hit enter and google will tell you the correct spelling of the word. If you are still not certain of the word then open another tab and type dict followed by the word i.e. dict word then you press enter this will open dictionary.com which will help you with the spelling. There may also be an extension to FireFox which may do all of this for you, look around.

I prefer Opera to Firefox, I am just so use to writing the replies in MS word, Forgot that lots of people use different themes, so when I am copying from MS word it brings all the text formatting with it. Ill just be turning off the Text formatting from now on.:)

Advertisement