Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN line, ADSL line test failing

• 24-09-2004 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

My area's exchange has just been broadband enabled. The phone lines of the houses on either side of me are checking out ok for broadband on Eircom's line checker.

I have an ISDN line installed, and my line is failing. Despite talking to five different people / departments in Eircom, nobody seems to know if this is because of a line fault, or because it's an ISDN line. I finally managed to get them to log a call to investigate the issue, but that was Tuesday morning and I've heard nothing since.

Obviously I don't want to downgrade the line just to see if it works, it'll cost me a fortune to get it downgraded and upgraded to ISDN again if there is a genuine problem.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Please?? Anyone been in a similar situation or know the technical ins and outs? Even better can anyone give me an eircom number of someone who actually knows what they're talking about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

My area's exchange has just been broadband enabled. The phone lines of the houses on either side of me are checking out ok for broadband on Eircom's line checker.

I have an ISDN line installed, and my line is failing. Despite talking to five different people / departments in Eircom, nobody seems to know if this is because of a line fault, or because it's an ISDN line. I finally managed to get them to log a call to investigate the issue, but that was Tuesday morning and I've heard nothing since.

Obviously I don't want to downgrade the line just to see if it works, it'll cost me a fortune to get it downgraded and upgraded to ISDN again if there is a genuine problem.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Please?? Anyone been in a similar situation or know the technical ins and outs? Even better can anyone give me an eircom number of someone who actually knows what they're talking about?

From the eircom broadband FAQ, which you'll find by clicking on the Broadband link on [url]www.eircom.ie:[/url]

If I have hi-speed / ISDN, can I avail of the 2 month FREE trial promotion?
    Yes. If you have a hi-speed / ISDN line, you can avail of the 2 month FREE trial promotion. However, you will have to pay a migration charge of €25.00 (inc. VAT) and will need one of our technicians to install broadband. Please call 1800 503 303 for more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Notintheface

That doesn't really tell me anything I don't already know. The problem, if you re-read the post, is that the line is failing the ADSL test. I don't want to pay to downgrade and then have to pay to get and ISDN re-installed if the downgraded line won't work with ADSL.

I would have thought there's an easier way to check if the line will work will work with ADSL.

That doesn't really tell me anything I don't already know. The problem, if you re-read the post, is that the line is failing the ADSL test. I don't want to pay to downgrade and then have to pay to get and ISDN re-installed if the downgraded line won't work with ADSL.

I would have thought there's an easier way to check if the line will work will work with ADSL.
    Did you bother to read what I posted? The bit that says "ring 1800 503 303 for more information"?

You don't pay to downgrade DSL and then pay again to get it reinstalled if it fails. You pay €25 for the migration, and, if it doesn't work, they re-enable your ISDN immediately. (You will also have to pay for an engineer install, an extra €100, but I guess they figure that if you're used to paying exhorbitant rates for ISDN, you'll hardly notice!)

That's how eircom do ISDN migrations.

Yes I read what you posted. I also said I had been on to Eircom (including that number at one point) and been passed from department to department because no-one seemed to if an ISDN line would automatically cause a ADSL line check failure.

There's no way I'm paying €125 to end up back where I am now. Gotta be a way to test a line before downgrading it, surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

You need to find an engineer who is familiar with your exchange and can check you line in the exchange. Thats the ONLY way. The drones on the phone haven't any information other than its a fault, with a error number which can mean anything. Some errors give the same number so theres no way of knowing unless an engineer is familar with the exchange and has experience of its particular issues.

That my thoughts on it anyway.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think you're right. Might see if I can wrangle the area engineer's number out of one of the drones :confused:

I really hate ringing those people, getting anywhere with them is like swimming through treacle :p

Yes I read what you posted. I also said I had been on to Eircom (including that number at one point) and been passed from department to department because no-one seemed to if an ISDN line would automatically cause a ADSL line check failure.

There's no way I'm paying €125 to end up back where I am now. Gotta be a way to test a line before downgrading it, surely?
    You won't pay €125 to end up where you are - you'll only be charged for the engineer install if it's successful.

Some people's ISDN numbers are listed as "passes" in the database, most are (apparently) not in the database at all (and therefore "don't pass", rather that "fail").

And don't call me surely! :)

Advertisement