Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Order Rejected ???

• 24-09-2004 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Passed the broadband test online back in August. Instantly ordered Broadband with IOL. Rang tonight to see the status of the order, as its been a while !!!

Guy on phone tells me, the order is Rejected by Eircom , and to ring Eircom and order from them. Now I'm really confused here, I wanted the 16gig Cap and the cheaper price - but I'm being told by IOL to order from Eircom ?? Whats going on ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

ondafly wrote:
    Passed the broadband test online back in August. Instantly ordered Broadband with IOL. Rang tonight to see the status of the order, as its been a while !!!

Guy on phone tells me, the order is Rejected by Eircom , and to ring Eircom and order from them. Now I'm really confused here, I wanted the 16gig Cap and the cheaper price - but I'm being told by IOL to order from Eircom ?? Whats going on ?

It's possible that you have an outstanding payment with IOL, it happened to me when No Limits when I refused to pay for the extra month that they overcharged me by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

nope. No outstanding payments, actually first ever dealings with IOL. Our phone line is also only new and fully paid up. I'm really peed off over this. Gonna ring Eircom now and ask what the story is.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ondafly wrote:
    nope. No outstanding payments, actually first ever dealings with IOL. Our phone line is also only new and fully paid up. I'm really peed off over this. Gonna ring Eircom now and ask what the story is.

It seems extraordinary that an IOL/ESAT employee would tell you to order from Eircom. If you want to go with IOL why dont you email Bill Murphy their CEO? Posts to him usually get some action - i dont know the email address but some of the people on here I am sure will gladly give it to you/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

dub45 wrote:
    It seems extraordinary that an IOL/ESAT employee would tell you to order from Eircom. If you want to go with IOL why dont you email Bill Murphy their CEO? Posts to him usually get some action - i dont know the email address but some of the people on here I am sure will gladly give it to you/
    I assume the order was cancelled by eircom because ondafly had already ordered DSL from eircom (ondafly may not have realized that asking eircom to test the line is usually treated as an order by eircom).

There's nothing ESAT can do about it - ondafly has to sort out what eircom consider to be a pending transaction. If ondafly can convince eircom to actually cancel that "order", then ESAT will be able to provide DSL instead.

I never ordered BB from Eircom, just asked for my line to be tested as soon as it was installed. As soon as it passed (checked each and everyday), I was straight onto IOL's site.

Rang Eircom last night, spoke to sales and tech support, both of which tested my line and saw that it passed. And neither could understand why "order was rejected" so after a chat with a fairly knowledgeable bloke in Tech, I rang back IOL to get more information. They didn't know why my order was rejected nor could they see any problems at their end, but agreed to re-issue the order on Monday and that they should have an answer for me by Thursday. :confused:

• Advertisement

Ripwave wrote:
    I assume the order was cancelled by eircom because ondafly had already ordered DSL from eircom (ondafly may not have realized that asking eircom to test the line is usually treated as an order by eircom).

There's nothing ESAT can do about it - ondafly has to sort out what eircom consider to be a pending transaction. If ondafly can convince eircom to actually cancel that "order", then ESAT will be able to provide DSL instead.

Nothing ESAT can do about it? Looks like they are totally in control of the situation and just could not be bothered when ondafly contacted them the first time. Might not be any harm to drop that email to Bill with all the details.

ondafly wrote:
    I never ordered BB from Eircom, just asked for my line to be tested as soon as it was installed.
    And as soon as you dealt with eircom, they put a "hold" on your line - it happens all the time. As far as eircom are concerned, you have asked them for DSL (what number did you call to get the line tested?)

ESAT can't cancel that "hold", only eircom can - eircom won't just take ESATs word for it (even if you've signed a contract with ESAT). You'll have to get on to eircom, and get them to "cancel" the order that you didn't think you placed.

dub45 wrote:
    Nothing ESAT can do about it? Looks like they are totally in control of the situation
    Maybe it's news to you, Dub, but everyone else is aware of tha fact that eircom owns the lines, and IOL/ESAT are only reselling the eircom service. If eircom says that they won't enable a line for ESAT, because eircom itself has a "hold" on the line (because ondafly has already been talking to eircom about DSL on that line), then ESAT is not "in control" of the situation.

It's not the first time this has happened. If I remember correctly, some posters on the Ireland Offline board complained to ComReg to get it sorted out.

Ripwave wrote:
    Maybe it's news to you, Dub, but everyone else is aware of tha fact that eircom owns the lines, and IOL/ESAT are only reselling the eircom service. If eircom says that they won't enable a line for ESAT, because eircom itself has a "hold" on the line (because ondafly has already been talking to eircom about DSL on that line), then ESAT is not "in control" of the situation.

It's not the first time this has happened. If I remember correctly, some posters on the Ireland Offline board complained to ComReg to get it sorted out.

Nowhere in his post does ondafly say that he was told that Eircom have a hold on the line. And he has been on to Esat and Eircom several times now.

You have presumed that and write about it as fact. I am not saying that is not the case I just think that if you are going to criticise Eircom then it should be based on fact/evidence not presumption.

There is no evidence for your presumption based on ondafly's posts.

Whether or not Eircom have put a hold on his line it still seems to me worth an email to bill. And I certainly agree that Comreg should be invovlved if Eircom treat requests for line tests as orders.

It does seem strange to me though that if your presumption is correct that nobody in Eircom told ondafly that they had an order on their files for him and he should be getting connected soon etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Ondafly, check your pm inbox.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:
    Nowhere in his post does ondafly say that he was told that Eircom have a hold on the line. And he has been on to Esat and Eircom several times now.
    He was told that eircom rejected the order. If it was me, I'd have asked why they rejected it. Why do you think it strange that he wasn't told that eircom have a pending order on the line, but don't think it strange that he wasn't told why eircom are refusing to complete the order?
    You have presumed that and write about it as fact. I am not saying that is not the case I just think that if you are going to criticise Eircom then it should be based on fact/evidence not presumption.
    It's is based on the fact that this has happened before.
    There is no evidence for your presumption based on ondafly's posts.
    There is nothing in his/her posts to suggest that this case is any different to previous cases where peoples requests where refected by eircom.
    It does seem strange to me though that if your presumption is correct that nobody in Eircom told ondafly that they had an order on their files for him and he should be getting connected soon etc etc.
    That's not the way it works - he has made an enquiry about DSL from eircom (as far as eircom is concerned) so his line is marked as provisonally held until the order is formalized.

Ripwave wrote:
    He was told that eircom rejected the order. If it was me, I'd have asked why they rejected it. Why do you think it strange that he wasn't told that eircom have a pending order on the line, but don't think it strange that he wasn't told why eircom are refusing to complete the order?

It's is based on the fact that this has happened before.
    There is nothing in his/her posts to suggest that this case is any different to previous cases where peoples requests where refected by eircom.
    That's not the way it works - he has made an enquiry about DSL from eircom (as far as eircom is concerned) so his line is marked as provisonally held until the order is formalized.

It is very dangerous to base an allegation on the basis that something has happened before.(in other words 'Round up the usual suspects')

There is no evidence in his posts for your allegations against Eircom it is as simple as that. Your allegations may prove to be correct they may not but they are not based on evidence/fact.

dub45 wrote:
    It is very dangerous to base an allegation on the basis that something has happened before.(in other words 'Round up the usual suspects')

There is no evidence in his posts for your allegations against Eircom it is as simple as that. Your allegations may prove to be correct they may not but they are not based on evidence/fact.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. It's a fact that this has happened before. It's a fact that eircom is refusing to provision the line for ESAT, but (based on the facts available from ondaflys posts) not because the line has failed the test, or is otherwise unsuitable for DSL. Apparently, none of this will be a problem if he orders broadband from eircom instead of ESAT (at least that's what the original post says).

Being in posession of these facts, ondafly is in a position to ask the right questions of eircom to get this problem sorted out. The fact that some other people have availed of Comregs help in this type of situation may also be helpful. On the other hand, your sterling defense of eircom, and insistence that "ESAT is in full control" (totally incorrect, and totally unsupported by anything posted in this thread) of the situation doesn't help ondafly in the least. You didn't even bother posting Bill Murphy's e-mail adddress when you suggested that ondafly contact him.

I really don't know what your problem is, Dub45. Do you have a problem with anyone who offers helpful advice that disagrees with your own advice?

Ripwave wrote:
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. It's a fact that this has happened before. It's a fact that eircom is refusing to provision the line for ESAT, but (based on the facts available from ondaflys posts) not because the line has failed the test, or is otherwise unsuitable for DSL. Apparently, none of this will be a problem if he orders broadband from eircom instead of ESAT (at least that's what the original post says).

Being in posession of these facts, ondafly is in a position to ask the right questions of eircom to get this problem sorted out. The fact that some other people have availed of Comregs help in this type of situation may also be helpful. On the other hand, your sterling defense of eircom, and insistence that "ESAT is in full control" (totally incorrect, and totally unsupported by anything posted in this thread) of the situation doesn't help ondafly in the least. You didn't even bother posting Bill Murphy's e-mail adddress when you suggested that ondafly contact him.

The only advice you have offered to date is based on your assumptions. I have not said anywhere in my posts that you are wrong you may be right I have just pointed out that you are basing everything you have posted on an assumption for which there is no evidence.

I have not defended Eircom anywhere in my posts and based on ondafly's posts Esat are in full control of the situatin at this time in so far as nothing can happen until they initiate the order then control,of course, passes to Eircom.
    Ripwave wrote:
    I really don't know what your problem is, Dub45. Do you have a problem with anyone who offers helpful advice that disagrees with your own advice?

Problem? Will you cop yourself on for God's sake! If you look elsewwhere in thia forum you will seel that quite recently I pointed out to a guy that you were offering him good advice and recommended that he take it. I even added to your 'reputation' for the patience you were showing.

sorry I haven't replied sooner !

anyway. When I made the "initial" call to Eircom to test my phone line, my line at that point was 3 hours old. I rang the 1901 number (as it was free) and after a number of "speaking to the computer bits" I got to speak to a operator, I asked for my line to be tested for BB. She told me because my line was so new, the number would need to be added to the list of numbers for testing, but to ring back in about a weeks time to request a line test. I did, and was told it could take up to a month for the results.

After constant checking, my line passed and I ordered online from IOL. About 3 days previous I ordered a leather couch from Reids - 7 to 9 weeks delivery time. Wonder will I have the couch before DSL ?

Anyway, I will see what IOL have to say for themselves on Thursday - and If needs be I'll pull in a few favours to see if I can get this sorted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Ripwave wrote:

It happended to me, i rang Eircom for a DSL line test, without my permission they signed me up for their broadband service and sent out the modem and enabled the line for use by Eircom.

It took almost 3 months for Eircom to release my line, apologise, get compensation, and have IOL take the line back.

Sickening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Onadafly, i feel you brotha!...i have been here myself. Moved house and got a new line. Took a week to get a line test and then my number to get added to some Eircom database.

When i rang Eircom just to get a line test the operator pushed some button and signed me up, without my verbal or written permission. The call i made that day was recorded and my complaint to Comreg verified my assertion that i never requested broadband with Eircom.

Anyways Comreg sorted it out, only took 2 1/2 months :rolleyes: , i got two free months line rental from Eircom, so it wasn't all bad.

It happended to me, i rang Eircom for a DSL line test, without my permission they signed me up for their broadband service and sent out the modem and enabled the line for use by Eircom.

It took almost 3 months for Eircom to release my line, apologise, get compensation, and have IOL take the line back.

Sickening.

I emphasise that I am not saying that this does not happen or indeed that is has not happened in this case all I am saying is that to presume that it has definitely happened is incorrect. And even in ondafly's latest post there is nothing to suggest that it has definitly happened.

And if Eircom even did that once they should be slapped with the heaviest fine possible never mind that they apparently have done it several times at least - talk about dodgy dealing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

When she added you to the list of lines to be tested, she probably added you to the list of "Wants a broadband connection from eircom" lines too.

If you think this is shocking, you should sit beside someone on the sales desk in eircom some day. This is small fry.

Got a phone call from IOL today at lunch time. The jist was my order can't go through because I have already ordered from Eircom. I this point I was furious. He told me to ring eircom and ask for my cancellation number and he could proceed with my order.

I rang Eircom - eventually got through to someone. I explained the situation but also advised that I had never ordered from Eircom. Should told me, to get a cancellation number it would take 10 days, I told her this was unacceptable. I was put on hold for about 5 minutes. Eventually she came back and informed me that an order was placed on the 17/9/04 but wasn't an Eircom order, and had a due date of 4/10/04. She asked did I want to cancel it - I told her no, and to give me the order number and that I would check with IOL to see what they thought.

I ring back IOL - give the guy the story - he then thinks the error is at IOL's side, and says something along the lines of I'll tell the guys upstairs its ok ??? and that my due date of the 4/10/04 still stands, and that he would ring back if there were any issues.

To tease myself I went onto the IOL usage calc to see if my user name and password I picked back in August now worked (it hadn't up to this point)

Now it says

Error - no traffic data for user #####

Why is it so difficult to order service in this country - I won't bore you with the hassle I had trying to get a phone line ! I have my ADSL router sitting on front of me beside my 56K for ages now, just waiting for the STATUS light and ADSL light to stay on.......

BTW - if you ever have to ring 1901 , ring from a mobile phone, you won't be asked all the silly questions and are brought direct to the main menu, compared to a landline

• Advertisement

As of right now - I'm using BB. I'm not due to have it till Monday - but I've had my own Dlink router plugged in since we moved in.

ondafly wrote:
    As of right now - I'm using BB. I'm not due to have it till Monday - but I've had my own Dlink router plugged in since we moved in.

But you never told us who you are connected to after all that:)

I'm assuming IOL - as the user name and password on my connection are these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭simonm2

Esat/IOL does some odd things. I asked about the business version of adsl because it is uncapped and at (or was two months ago) half price - but they told me that they weren't going to offer the business service here in Loughrea - no explanations. Is Eircom preventing them I wonder?

Enjoy your new service!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

They run their business adsl services over equipment they've installed themselves in 40 eircom exchanges (part of Local Loop Unbundling). They can only offer the business services to people who have lines into one of those exchanges.

ondafly wrote:
    I'm assuming IOL - as the user name and password on my connection are these.

So that would mean that your order was not hijacked by Eircom and that someone in IOL had got their wires crossed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭simonm2

Moriarty wrote:
    They run their business adsl services over equipment they've installed themselves in 40 eircom exchanges (part of Local Loop Unbundling). They can only offer the business services to people who have lines into one of those exchanges.

Thanks for the heads up on that one. Good to know. Can't see Loughrea becoming a humming centre of LLU biz for anyone in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

dub45 wrote:
    So that would mean that your order was not hijacked by Eircom and that someone in IOL had got their wires crossed?

It could just as easily have meant that iol told eircom to bog off and he was their customer. Only way you'll know one way or the other is if you get it out of whichever iol person was dealing with it.

Moriarty wrote:
    It could just as easily have meant that iol told eircom to bog off and he was their customer. Only way you'll know one way or the other is if you get it out of whichever iol person was dealing with it.

Hardly likely given the speed of the connection and that other posts here about hijacks reported very lengthy delays before they were finally sorted out not to mention ondafly's post of his conversation with Eircom
    Eventually she came back and informed me that an order was placed on the 17/9/04 but wasn't an Eircom order, and had a due date of 4/10/04

• Advertisement
Advertisement