Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Positives about Dublin

• 24-09-2004 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

am returning home at the end of this month after more than 11 years on the road with two kids, a polish partner, and a lot of good feeling about this particular path. however, since i have made this decision known to the folk involved in my life, i have heard nothing, and i mean NOTHING but negatives about present day dublin. can anyone bounce us a few positives over to munich, i would gladly digest them before stepping home...thanking you, john.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Wrong forum.
    Try After Hours.

Oh, Dublin is ****.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i personnally cant think of anytrhing good in dublin....

(apart from me, ofcourse)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

that place that u call dublin has not changed a lot but a few new things are there.The Luas-Paving Of O'Connel Street-The Spire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Positives hmmmm....
    Dublin doesn't seem any different to me than it was 11 years ago.
    Although living here and having things change very slowly every day infront of your eyes doesn't really give the same impact of difference as if you came back after 11 years away.
    Ah I guess, a few things would be, the M50 motorway, clamping, taxi de-regulation, the Spire and the overall O'Connell st. revamp, euro price-hikes, no smoking in pubs, the Ballymun flats are being taken down slowly but surely, introduction of broadband.
    A mixed bag, just off the top of my head.

Actually it'd be interesting to hear your take on things once you get back... I'm sure the differences-over-time would be more noticable for you than us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭test999

The number and variety of restaurants has gone through the roof.
    There's a lot more work here than 11 years ago.
    Car insurance has come down a little.
    We have a more mixed population, which adds variety.
    We now have digital tv ;)
    Dublin has a tram system.
    We also have a very good shopping centre/cinema complex in Liffey Valley.

I'd like to know how you get on.

HTH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

honestjohn wrote:
    . can anyone bounce us a few positives i would gladly digest them before stepping home...thanking you, john.

Positives...MMmmmm..

How about all the roads out of Dublin. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Yea but their all to the country, and hell better dublin then that place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

As a culchie....I must agree with Boston

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

The best things about Dublin are:
    -Stephen's green with your friends on a Saturday
    -Good times in town when you have a half day from school,
    -Talking to strangers who comment on your Green School uniform,
    -Living in the restraunt capital of the, er, capital so theres always a bit of craic around,
    -The buskers on Grafton street especially those kids that sing 'Raglan Road' and Fields of Athenry at an impossibly loud sound
    -The way there's always freebies being given out on Grafton Street
    -You are GUARANTEED to bump into someone you know or someone who knows your aunt or something
    -Cool shops like Showco, Eager Beaver or Retro

I'll think of more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

Raphael wrote:
    As a culchie....I must agree with Boston
    You understood that gibberish?

Apologies if English is Boston's 2nd or 3rd language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Redleslie2 wrote:
    Yep without a problem, maybe it's my reading abilities or maybe Boston had his mouth full when he posted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

-You're everybody's "bud".

-The people are great for a good 'auld conversation- especially the taxi drivers, simply say how great/bad (depending) an idea deregulation of the industry was, or comment on how watered down the beer is this evening [queue an "i once knew a man" story].

-You "just know" you're on the Northside when you get there.

-You "just know" you're on the Southside when you get there.

-Sometimes the skangers let you buy back the stuff they nicked from you at only half it's retail value. Bargain!

-Oh, and if you're diabetic and forgot your syringe.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Redleslie2 wrote:

Apologies if English is Boston's 2nd or 3rd language.

gof da&mn nubie scom. I is a dab speoiler/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Its your home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 honestjohn

thanx for the positives, though few and far between, kind of..maybe being too greedy, but, any more? is there a list of three euro pubs floating around sum1 could pass on? positives, please...roomor has it hey be healthy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Heh, yeah, its possible to leave here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

The best things about Dublin are:
    -Talking to strangers who comment on your Green School uniform,

Careful now!

-You are GUARANTEED to bump into someone you know or someone who knows your aunt or something

That's a positive?

test999 wrote:
    The number and variety of restaurants has gone through the roof.

It used to be said 20 or 30 years ago that there's two categories of restaurant in Ireland

1) Bad

2) Expensive

Since then we have come up with a third category; Bad AND Expensive :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

TIPPTOP wrote:
    How about all the roads out of Dublin.
    On a similar note: The airport (and ferryports to a lesser extent)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Gorgeous things about Dublin:

* people talk to each other
    * there's no sense of intellectual class distinction - you're as likely to chat to the bus driver about the book you're reading as to the tax official or academic
    * the city is small enough that you can cycle everywhere
    * you can stand in the centre and still see the mountains
    * you can get to the mountains for a walk within an hour
    * you can swim in the sea - lots of blue flag beaches, and others that meet the standards except that they don't have showers and toilets provided
    * people stop and chat to your dog when you bring her for a walk
    * prosperity - while still poor by the standards of the big western European countries, people are a heck of a lot richer than a few years ago
    * there's lots to do for kids, and it's still a kid-centred society
    * in most places, neighbours know each other and keep a balance between a polite distance and friendly helpfulness.

Well, that's a few to start with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

luckat wrote:
    Gorgeous things about Dublin:

* people talk to each other
    * there's no sense of intellectual class distinction - you're as likely to chat to the bus driver about the book you're reading as to the tax official or academic
    * the city is small enough that you can cycle everywhere
    * you can stand in the centre and still see the mountains
    * you can get to the mountains for a walk within an hour
    * you can swim in the sea - lots of blue flag beaches, and others that meet the standards except that they don't have showers and toilets provided
    * people stop and chat to your dog when you bring her for a walk
    * prosperity - while still poor by the standards of the big western European countries, people are a heck of a lot richer than a few years ago
    * in most places, neighbours know each other and keep a balance between a polite distance and friendly helpfulness.

Well, that's a few to start with.

Is this Dublin, Ireland you are talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Well if thats Dublin i've yet to see it in my 19 years of living here. To be that positive about Dublin requires mass amounts of MDMA releasing serotonin in your brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Junkies still here only more of them and they come out all day now too.

Gardai evolution into a law unto themselves complete.

The traffic is worse.

The prices are mad high.

The politicians are richer and don't work anymore because they have to go to tribunals every day.

The M50 is stuck in a time warp never ever to be completed.

At least one murder every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you work in Dublin, and want to buy a house, its cheaper to buy one far away. People who work in Dublin now live in Newbridge (Kildare), and take 2 hours to drive to Dublin for work.
    It takes @ least 1 hour to drive from Lucan to Dublin. It takes another half hour/ 1 hour to drive along the quays.
    If you get the bus, you can get from Lucan to Heuston in 30 miuntes, due to QBC, which are basically a hardshoulder where only bus's can drive on. These QBC are everywhere, and make it quicker to get into Dublin.

granted, shood have put the following in this thread, but instead, went and did a different said: "is that it? no more? nowt? aw folks on the boards eye eeee, there is bound toobee more posITivITy!!

pretend smiling slight sarcastic well kind of frownyface"

but the last few have been the opposite of the title...re-turning amarach, gissa bounce...

well, i wouldn't consider myself the internettiest, and, as i won't have as easy access as i do now, it'll probably be a while before i check this thing out again...thanks very much to those who replied and spread a bit of positivity my way...a mate mentioned this site a while back and i thought i'd use it just to gather a bit of an "electronical" feeling, if there is such a thing...it was good, a buzz when someone genuinely replied...for the record:

i am positively very happy to be returning to my roots...

see ya around, maybe at some freestyling thing where wee we may sing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

luckat wrote:

What is there for kids to do?

There are no theme parks or such like.

Advertisement