Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Positives about Dublin

• 24-09-2004 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

am returning home at the end of this month after more than 11 years on the road with two kids, a polish partner, and a lot of good feeling about this particular path. however, since i have made this decision known to the folk involved in my life, i have heard nothing, and i mean NOTHING but negatives about present day dublin. can anyone bounce us a few positives over to munich, i would gladly digest them before stepping home...thanking you, john.

(had this elsewhere but was recommended moving!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I'm from Cork, live in Galway and had always heard bad stuff about Dublin too. However, after spending some time working there this summer, I must say it's a lot nicer than I'd expected. There's a big choice of pubs & entertainment (music, cinema etc), good shopping, good choice of flights from Dublin airport, the city centre's cool, has some nice buildings, Stephen's Green is really nice, any people I met there were cool. Prices didn't seem that different from Cork/Galway either. Like anywhere else, it's what you make of it, I guess.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Unfortunately I think its hard to be positive about Dublin today. I think it has lost a lot of basic decency over the period of the Celtic tiger. People are definitely ruder, coarser and less considerate than they used to be.(Not everyone of course!) There is an air of aggression around which in my experience of travelling to an admittedly very limited number of Cities over the past few years (Paris, Prague, Barcelona Amsterdam) I certainly did not detect.

I hate Dublin County Council's efforts to turn Dublin into a soggy version of Barcelona!

It would be interesting to hear the negatives that are reaching your from Dubliners presumably?

The positives for me are mainly geographic! I love the fact that the Phoenix Pk, Memorial Park and Royah Hospital/IMMA are so near me. For a major city the sea and the mountains are pretty close and accessible.

As you are returning after a long absence its probably good that you are hearing so many negatives in advance at least you wont have too many illusions about the place to be shattered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Dublin is great if you have loads of money. I'm not trying to be facetious or anything it is a nice place to be if you have plenty of disposable income, if you don't it's a struggle given that plenty of basic stuff like food and entertainment are pretty expensive. If you have young children, childcare is apparently very expensive.

Also expect your social life to recolve around drinking. There's fúck all else to do in the evening time, excpet cinema and theatre and those aren't much good for a chat.

So if you're a rich boozehound you'll have a great time. There's plenty of drawbacks if not.

But sure the craic is mighty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 honestjohn

not so napper dandy on the bowl owl PC...what have people been saying? the thread is aspiring to pluck positives...the negs are not to get a mention here, if at all possible...leave it up to the reader to guess them, as it were...i have no money returning home, no illusions either...no expectations...will be returning to the bosom of the gaff in coolock and will be jobhunting, babysitter seeking, school organising, language learning and looking to bounce off new, POSITIVE folk. be looking to kick a ball, get food on the table, and do some freestyling...dreaming, maybe...gis a positive or two, please (hard writing on the knees) :

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

well, we have the spire!

/me hides from forthcoming abuse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Your post got me thinking..... here are some purely subjective things I like about Dublin (and probably none of them helpful for you)

Simons Place Georges St Sat mornings with my two kids and DH, enough food to sink several battleships, peace and quiet reading the newspaper and cinnamon buns to die all for less than €25.

Bretzel Bakery Sunday mornings - mmm Bagels mmmmmm

Marly Park Play ground sunday morning - to run off those damn bagels!

Walking down Grafton St and being guarenteed to bump into someone I know.

The Long Hall

National Art Gallery - not everyone's cup of tea, but I love it, especially the new wing

The "Dead Animal Museum" as my kids call the Natural History museum - great on a rainy day if you have ghoulish little freaks for kids

The Phoenix park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 honestjohn

lovely...keep em rolling, please! i used to love walking up the grafton street bumping into folk i knew, sweet...thanks, a smile on the face anois...more more cant get enuff positive exclamation mark

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

How about............

Having a wander around town on a Sunday afternoon, popping into Hodges Figgis bookstore for a good nose around

Going for a drive out Killiney/Dalkey having a walk on Dun Laoghaire pier

Going on a Friday evening after work straight out to Liffey Valley shopping centre, having a look around then catching a flick on there massive screen in Ster Century (shame about the lack of butter)

Going to Dollymount/Balbriggan/Howth the odd time they have a seal release from the Irish Seal Sanctury, and seeing how many people actually care about something

Getting up early on a Saturday morning, getting a paper and having breakfast in Millers, Main Street, Swords. Best fry up around

I'm not a big drinker/clubbing type of person, but I find enough to keep me happy.

I'd give you more ideas, but i'm off to pick up my darling wife from work, and then go to the cinema. She is after all, the one person that keeps me happy no matter what or where i am in life. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Chevano Riley

the government is really taking care of the niggr problem. my letter detailing the strategy 'put em in meath' got through.

and the price of a pint has been stable for almost a week now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

the government is really taking care of the niggr problem. my letter detailing the strategy 'put em in meath' got through.

and the price of a pint has been stable for almost a week now.

Tell me: Did your mother force feed you pig faeces while you were a small child?...Or did you like the taste?
    The latter methinks.

you: "Oooh! Sh!t in my mouth again mummy"
    your mum: "oink oink"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Most pubs have now got €3 pints.

Come do fosters (kangaroo piss) but others do Bavaria which doesn't hold a candle to Munich quality but it's not so bad.

You'll be disgusted at off licence quality and price but drinking out shouln't be too different to Munich.

tribble

MrNuked wrote:
    Tell me: Did your mother force feed you pig faeces while you were a small child?...Or did you like the taste?
    The latter methinks.

you: "Oooh! Sh!t in my mouth again mummy"
    your mum: "oink oink"
    positive thing about dublin #3:

the level of classy wit is at an all time high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.
    :D

Advertisement