Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Wars Ep. 1

• 31-03-2000 10:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭

Any ideas or rumours on when it's coming out on DVD. I work in a video store and we are told that it wont be coming out on April 3rd. In fact there's no release date for it period frown.gif

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Last I heard it wasn't coming out in DVD format until 2006 or something - it will be released then along with 2-6 on DVD. But that's old news and I don't know if that's true or not.

Draco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It's true.

Video is coming out April 7th here. Won't catch me buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Face it lads, it was $hite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Zapper

yeah..it was : (
    Darth Maul was cool though : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

His fight scenes were very well orchestrated, but still not a patch on the Luke vs Vader fight in the Carbon Freezing room in "The Empire Strikes Back". Darth Maul just wasn't evil enough. And we are to believe that that geeky little kid is to become the most evil film character in history?? pfff

www.csn.ul.ie/~osiris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Natalie Portman.........And she's now old enough for you not to feel guilty about thinking she's cute.

Won't buy the videos though. George Lucas likes to screw his fans with multiple slighty different editions. There's no reason not to release them on DVD. He just wants double sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Gamblor

It's anyoying .... so thats why i have the org. just like i saw them when i was knee high to a Gundar !!!!! Digital Effects !!!!
    pah !!!! no thanks .... and Darth is THE Ultimate baddie ... maybe Christopher Walken !!! but that's about it !!!

***** Feel my Evil Neon Claws *****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

I dunno, I'll buy it

...if only for completeness smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by Hecate:
    I dunno, I'll buy it...if only for completeness smile.gif

And that's precisely what Lucas and 20th Century Fox are relying on, sheep who'll buy it regardless of the quality of the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭SPACE COWBOY

You can get the first 3 on DVD, bootleg version, but I would'nt agree with that at all ! wink.gifhttp://dvdcrazy.web-page.net

[This message has been edited by SPACE COWBOY (edited 02-04-2000).]

• Advertisement

it aint that bad smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

Fighting scenes were definatly the best yet

but yes, as much as he is brilliant,
    george lucas is a greedy ba5tard

pity all the same cuz hes a genius imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

Star Wars (ep4) and return of the jedi were absolute classics. Empire strikes back was just a filler and ep 1 was pretty much an ok film but not nearly as good as the classic ones!!!!

never going to buy it (chances are i'll get it during the summer!)

tct

eek.gif

And with that I stand down as leader of this ancient and very sacred society. I just hope you will treat your new leader with as much love and respect as you have shown me. I bid thee farewell.
    thank you

Empire strikes back was just a filler

cough...splutter!...thats the best of the whole damn lot imho smile.gif

I like that whole idea of it being darker and more violent, which is why I think Episode II should be excellent (*should* - Jar Jar Binks is making a return so thats 10 stars off straight away smile.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Originally posted by Hecate:
    cough...splutter!...thats the best of the whole damn lot

I must agree.

ESB was definitely the best.

Episode 1 (IMHO), was not so much a film, but a preview of the shape of things to come. It was good (this from a guy who shelled out £100 for a ticket to the premieré), but it wasn't a patch on the originals. Besides, we all know what the Sci-Fi film of the year (and winner of 6 oscars) was last year smile.gif

Getting back to it, I'm really looking forward to Episode 2. Should be cool to see Anakin turning and I think the film's supposed to end with the start of the big war that wiped the Jedi out. THAT is gonna be some scrap!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~davitt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

Agreed, Empire stikes back was actually one of the best of the three. altho the others were feel good and great films, the darker side had to be shown, and was done so brilliantly, imho!!!!

still was not impressed with ep1, did'in'a loike meself!!!

hope ep2 is better

wyverne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

First up, I REALLY liked ep1 (I dont care what anyone says)

You lads hould remember that chances are you saw the first 3 when you were young, your now old cynical know it alls.

Ask you average 6 year old which he/she thinks is the best of the 4, I think you may be surprised...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I've heard the argument that says "you saw the first three when you were young", and I'm afraid it doesn't wash with me, on the basis that I love the original Star Wars movies, but I never saw them until I was in my mid teens (not exactly a long time ago). They rocked completely.

Episode One, uhhh, didn't.

Ja,
    Rob

--
    [EED]Shinji -=*=- shinji@electricdeath.com
    Site Editor, http://www.utsystem.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

it rocked for me, someone who enjoyed but didn't obsess about the sw phenomonon. it rocked for andy, and our friend ian. it rocked for ian's girlfriend michelle, who was as likely to enjoy it as Man City are to win the premiership next year. it even rocked for my girlfriend claire who likes baking and sewing, and farming, and polymer technology, but not star wars. and if all of these ppl who dont consider themselves "suited" to that kind of movie love it, maybe it just didn't suit you guys. just a thought. initiate flaming.

It is so lonely here in my indecipherable tower of speech impedimency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭tr1n1ty

I don't think any of you guys are old enough to remember the time ....long long ago in a ..... when the first Star Wars movie hit the screens - I think I was about 12 so that makes all of you guys - ? -. It was to us as kids then what the Matrix is today - and I really enjoyed that one too.

And its not just me - I belong to a whole generation of people whos introduction to SciFi was Star Wars. Did you ever look around to see who was sitting in the cinema watching Episode one - yip all the 30 somethings! Long live George Lucas - I say!

To Infinity and Beyond!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

Yep to all 30 somethings,,,
    I remember going to see the Orginal in the Savoy when it was first released...

It has spoilt us since then...

The next big SCIFI was Aliens....

Episode One was a great dissappointment...

Brill spec. Affects in places.....

But lack a certain heart stopping Punch...

I still remember My breath been taken away during the sceene in Aliens when the first see the Alien pilots Dead Body... The sheer size of everything.....

Catching you when you least expect it is the element that allows for a film to be successful.......

And I think I need a speling cousre.....

Where did all my eductaion money go....... smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Noel Brady

I thought it was very good. The special effects were dazzling especially the pod-racing section. That said, I agree with the argument that there should have been more of Darth Maul.

However, I personally think that Return Of The Jedi is the best of all the Star Wars films, and that each series gets better with time. The original Star Wars (A New Hope) was just really for scene setting and I think this is the same with The Phantom Menace. I expect Episode 2 and 3 to be alot better, not that Episode 1 was bad.

Noel Brady

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

I think you all took the plot up wrong.Darth Maul wasnt meant to be particularly evil, it was darth sidious.Maul was just dragged into the evil thing imo.

[This message has been edited by 2040 (edited 09-04-2000).]

ROTJ was alright, but not the best, the Ewoks ruined it imho.

Lucas has this obsession with cuteness that shows through in most of work (eg: Jawas, Jar Jar Binks and Ewoks)

I suppose he thinks it attracts younger audiences that will buy spin off merchandise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

What?????? Ewoks did not ruin it with their cute furriness!!!!!! The best bit was when the Ewoks started saying.......EEEccchhhhhhheeeewwwooowwaa! Nice

tct

eek.gif

I'm a bicycle!!

In all seriousness....the greatest place on earth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Funny thing about Star Wars I was, i got it on video just the other day, and i loved it even more. I had my faults with it originally, but it gets better every time i see it. Its got an epic quality to it. Fine,some say its ****e, but HEY, its for kids, thats why Jar-Jar is there and the dialogue is not up to scratch. A New Hope was the same frickin way, C3P0 is really annoying in that. Ep1 sets things up really nicely for the next two, anyone who doesnt thinks that The Clone Wars will be jaw dropping to look at,and Anakins betrayal of Obi-Wan and his fall to dark side wont be infinetly darker that ESB, obviously isnt in tune with the force. Ill set a rabid Yoda on my mother if EP II and EP III arebt better than EP I, A New Hope and Return. Empire Strikes Back is untouchable though, for obvious reasons.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I assume people have heard that Lucas relented, and the DVD is coming out in the Autumn.

Draco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭tr1n1ty

I was just reading the posts and had a thought - wouldn't it be kewl if they put the Star Wars movies on one of those super screens like Imax or something - I just love the sensation of flying one of those fighter planes into the Death Star to blow it up.

To Infinity and Beyond!

Advertisement