Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distributing NTL through the house, pros cons?

• 24-09-2004 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

I want to bring my NTL BB into a few rooms. I could run some ethernet cables between rooms or use wireless. What are the pros and cons between the two OTHER than the physical connectivity issues.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Wires gauranteed speeds
    Wireless may not be exactly as advertised

Tbh Wireless only downside is file transfers large ones and its not like you would notice the difference much, ping is fine on wireless and as XP and linux get to grips with it the software side can only get better.

Its really all about cash , Wires is cheap B and Q have home net kit with 8 port router for €40. Wireless is about 200 for 3 pcs maybe less if you hunt around.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wireless:
    Pros:
    Freedom of movement/reorganisation - you can move your equipment around as much as you like.
    Cleanliness. Few cables.
    Coolness factor. A laptop plugged into nothing but surfing the net impresses the n00bs.
    Cons:
    Relatively expensive to set up.
    Insecure (in comparison to cabled networks)
    Speed and performance may vary

Ethernet:
    Pros:
    Cheap.
    Been around for a long time - i.e. it's supported by pretty much everything
    Faster than Wireless, and performance is fixed.
    More secure/easier to secure
    Cons:
    Messy - cabling
    Takes mucho effort to move equipment around.
    Not cool. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Here's a good rule-of-thumb: wireless for anything that moves around (laptops, generally, but also wi-fi pdas etc), wired for everything else. I've got a laptop, desktop, server, and firewall, and the above works very well. The exception would be if the non-mobile units are fairly spread out, and you don't want, or you're not allowed, to drill holes and thread cables.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you do have a laptop the wireless option will allow you to avail of hotspots when your out and about - maybe a consideration for some irrelevant to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Well the laptop (more of a desknote) has wireless built in. Though I rarely move it. So I guess that saves me some money. I might get a router/access point that has both wired and wireless points and then I have the option to use either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well the laptop (more of a desknote) has wireless built in. Though I rarely move it. So I guess that saves me some money. I might get a router/access point that has both wired and wireless points and then I have the option to use either.
    Most Wireless routers come with 2-4 Ethernet ports, so will do fine for Home networking - ie you don't have to buy a router and a wireless AP.

Advertisement