Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Definition between EP and LP

Options
  • 25-09-2004 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

EP = Extended Play
    LP = Long Play

Yet what length and/or properties does a CD need to have to be considered an EP/LP?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I'd consider anything up to 6 tracks an EP, and over that LP.
    Thats assuming 3 - 5 minutes a song though. Tbh I never really thought about it too much, the band usually decide for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

An EP played at 45 RPM, whereas an LP played at 33 RPM. So you could get more music onto an LP. I think you could get about 6 average songs on an EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

I'd consider anything up to 6 tracks an EP, and over that LP.
    Thats assuming 3 - 5 minutes a song though. Tbh I never really thought about it too much, the band usually decide for me.
    There are 5 track albums. Well... one that I know of. Band deciding is a good policy. Depends on how it's released and how much it costs. Also if the main/first song is on another album or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

For a single I know that it has to be three tracks or less and under 20minutes. So if you had an hour long track it'd be an album. I'd say anything up to 5 or 6 tracks and between 20 and 30 minutes would be an EP. But just buy all your stuff on vinyl, then you won't have to worry about this, it'll be immediately evident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

EP = Extended Play (4 track single)
    LP = Long Play (as many tracks as you can fit on to 45 mins of vinyl)

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement