Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Ethernet Crossover cable

Options
  • 25-09-2004 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

I bought an Ethernet crossover cable so as to easily transfer files from my desktop to laptop, both of which have Ethernet cards. Desktop is running Xp Home and laptop is running XP Pro. I've the cables connected but one of the computers (which one varies) always has an invalid IP address so can't get the network working while the other one is usually fine. Any advice? I just want to be able to transfer files from one to the other, nothing more complex than that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Give us a bit more detail and we'll sort ya out! All the same criteria for networking applies regardless of whether its hub based or pier to pier. If using static ip's then make sure they're different, make sure your subnet and workgroups are the same. Should be straightforward enough. Configure your firewall not to block traffic on your ip range. If your using dhcp just make sure your workgroup names are the same! Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

Try using static IPs: 255.0.0.1 for one and 255.0.0.2 for the other.
    Possibly it is that you are using the same IP address for both of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

MrNuked wrote:
    Try using static IPs: 255.0.0.1 for one and 255.0.0.2 for the other.
    Possibly it is that you are using the same IP address for both of them?

I don't think those IP's will work. Using 255 specifices the broadcast range for a network.

use something like 192.168.1.1 & 2
    or 10.1.1.1 & 2

Gav

Advertisement