Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ILINK EXPALINED A BIT more

Options
  • 25-09-2004 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭

Noticed the lack of info in this in another thread -thought this may be usefull

Little Outlin

Products supporting the 1394 standard go under different names, depending on the company.

Apple = FireWire.
    Toshiba = i.link
    Othes = Lynx, to describe their 1394 products.

A single 1394 port
    Isochronous
    63 peripherals at once (thats the current record)
    The standard diverge i.e. 1394a and 1394b the latter doubles the iso transfer rate to 800 mbps on the bus (obv. ext)
    Good for video tranfer (high speed, high volume data transfer)

Although extremely fast and flexible, 1394 is also expensive. Like USB, 1394 supports both Plug-and-Play and hot plugging, and also provides power to peripheral devices which is dead handy in times of travel etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Sony started to use the term i-Link for their video products way back.

Firewire is an Apple Computer Corporation standard and is 15 years old (yes, 400Mbit 15 years ago!)

Firewire is sometimes called IEEE-1394.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Palmerstown04

Well at Firewire400 its 30x faster than usb (1.1) --
    It does support asychronous (latency period issue re: data transfer)
    the true peer to peer without the need for a deidacted host (i.e. pc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Palmerstown04

Iomega HDD 250GB Portable Hard Drive

With USB 2.0, the drive provides a transfer rate of 25MB per second, while with the FireWire the connection speed is 32MB per second.

Advertisement