Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Martial Arts

Options
  • 25-09-2004 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all.

I'm considering taking up a martial art next week.Unfortunately I forgot to sign up for one as I thought I could do so on Friday. :p

Is anyone here doing any and if so what do you recommend?I'm thinking of doing BJJ and kickboxing.Are these good choices?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Can you still join stuff?Is all that hullabaloo in the sports hall not over?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If you show up at the training time I'm pretty sure you can join.

As long as you have money,that is. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I'm with the UCD Ninjutsu club, so obviously I'll recommend that :p But just go for which ever one you think suits you best. It depends really what your looking for in a martial art, competition/self defense/fitness ect. Are you looking for one thats formal/informal/traditional? There are a few good threads on the self defence forum about this. I can tell you though that I'm fairly sure no club would mind you coming along to a class and joining at it. They'll all be starting next week, so go to a few then to see which one you like (1st class is generally free so that people can get an idea of whether they like it or not). We're training on Tues 6-8 anyway and your more than welcome to drop down! I think BJJ train on a Tuesday as well, but I'm not sure about kickboxing - I'd say its probably up on their website though. If you have any questions or anything just let me know :cool:

Hi blondie83.

I'm mainly looking to do a martial art for both the self defense and fitness aspect.Summer and beer have left their toll on my gut. :)

I'm not really sure what to do,though I narrowed it down to either kickboxing,tkd,karate,boxing or BJJ.
    I don't think I'll do judo though as those girls at the judo booth on freshers week scared me. :D

Do you recommend any non-martial art sports?Alot of my days end at 11.00 so I'm looking to eat up a few hours while I'm at UCD.Are there any sports that you know of that run during the afternoon period?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

TKD is teh fun. If you want to try a class the first beginner's class is on Monday, 5-7. Try out a few styles and see what suits you. And it's not too late to join up! As regards afternoons, we train on fridays too, 1-3.

• Advertisement

Yeah I agree with that. Try out one class in each of them to try and get a feel for it. You'll find out the general structure of the classes, and whether their likely to help your fitness or what. You'll also get a very good idea of what the ppl in the club are like, and whether its formal or relaxed ect. If your looking for a non-martial art afternoon sport, I'd say go with climbing - cos you can use the climbing wall any time of the day, and it's meant to really improve your concentration (which will be handy come next Summer!). Squash is a great sport as well, although you need to have a willing partner! If you join the squash club you can play for free during certain times too which is pretty good. Good luck anyway with whatever you go with :cool:

I did tkd today.The most exercise I've had in years!The sweat was literallly dripping off me.It was fun but I didn't really meet as many people as I'd hoped.I went to the bar afterwards and eneded up drinking alone. :rolleyes:
    I hope I'm not going to become the sad loner who spends his time drinking alone in the bar all day. ;) Why can't I meet people in the maze that is UCD?! :eek:

I intend to try bjj and kickboxing tomorrow but bjj starts at 5 and my lectures end at 11.This is why I need to find something to occupy my time during the day.Today my lectures ended at 11 and tkd was at 5 and so I had to endure one of the most BORING days of my life.I went to the library,restaurant anywhere to occupy my time but it was so dull.I'm not sure if I can put up with that again tomorrow.

Any advice from other students here?I'm getting quite depressed with all the free time I have and no one to talk to.I feel like the invisible man most of the time.Has anyone been in my position in the past? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i spent the last year like that, and this one is shaping up much the same. its depressing, but at the end of the day im not really in ucd for the social life, so i suppose im better off that way. /me shrugs

It does be such a relief to get home to my family and to spend time with old friends.I'd find UCD far easier to deal with though if I had someone to speak to.It's horrible having to eat alone in that place. :(

Hows the legs this morning? TKD hurts when you're not used to it...
    We were at the front of the bar last night, just inside the door. And btw I'll be fairly easy to pick out the next time you're in TKD, grading for red belt this afternoon :confused: There's not many of us... And come to the martial arts freshers party on wednesday. Student Bar, 8.30. €2 in.
    That applies to everyone here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

Anyone else here going to Ninjitsu tonight? i was there last week, its pretty cool what with wrist locks and stuff, i think i might just stick with it, although i find all the people in the black suits very intimidating

Btw, does anybody know the training schedule for the UCD Karate club? i joined it during freshers week but forgot to get a schedule, so now i have no idea whats going on with that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I'm doing Aikido. I did it last year. In Aikido, you try to twist and divert your opponant so that fall over, you don't punch or try to push back against them. That way you can control the other person, while expending as little energy as you can. It looks cool, but it takes a while to get to a profecient level.

The training is on Monday 8-10 (Hall A) and Thursday 6-10 (Hall C). Come along and try it out.

Hey rainbow kirby.My legs are quite sore today especially the back of my leg.
    I wasn't really sure where anybody was at the bar.There were a couple of groups of people so I didn't want to sit in the wrong area. :)
    I decided to play it safe and sit alone.That probably wasn't the best way to meet people. :D

Do you know when the next training time is for tkd?I intended to try bjj and kickboxing today but in the end I couldn't make it.Hence the reason I'm sitting here at home at this time.Is their training tomorrow?

The freshers party sounds good but where is the Student bar?The only bar I know of is the sports bar.

To MatthewVII,karate times are Monday 6-8,Wednesday 8-10 and Saturday 11-1.

The freshers party sounds good but where is the Student bar?The only bar I know of is the sports bar.

After a quick googling:
    ucdmap.jpg
    original is at http://www.ucd.ie/maps/ucdmap.jpg
    The student bar is at the top, beside the restaurant, however it's a bit old as the student centre and commerce block aren't there. (The student centre is between the sports building and the agricultural building (#6). The commerce block is between the main restaurant and Arts (#4). It used to be in the arts block, hence why it's mentioned there.)

Hey rainbow kirby.My legs are quite sore today especially the back of my leg.
    That happens. Its just the muscles getting used to moving in a new way. I'm gonna be in pain in the morning though, grading and really hard class this evening. I'm a red belt now! \o/
    Do you know when the next training time is for tkd?
    Thursday at 5-7.

MatthewVII wrote:
    Anyone else here going to Ninjitsu tonight? i was there last week, its pretty cool what with wrist locks and stuff, i think i might just stick with it, although i find all the people in the black suits very intimidating
    Glad you liked it, don't be intimidated by the people in black suits, they're all really sound guys! And if you ever need any help with a technique or anything don't be too scared to ask, cos thats what we're there for :cool:

I must say, i was a lot more relaxed at ninjitsu yesterday-there were a lot more beginners and stuff and it was a lot more fun overall. who would have thought rolling could look so cool?

That happens. Its just the muscles getting used to moving in a new way.

In my case,it's the muscles getting used to moving at all. :D

Hey did you go to the freshers party?I thought about going but I had to watch The Matrix for philosophy.
    After the film we were allowed ask any questions.What I really want to know though is why the hell wasn't there any beer? :cool:

The freshers party was great fun, fair play to TKD and Lau Gar for organising it. I think taking part in the boat race may have been a slight mistake though - I'm so hungover now I can't even type properly!

• Advertisement

I didn't go. Came out of a lecture at 7 and I just wanted to go asleep. Probably should have shown my face, but I really needed to just go home and rest...

I didnt manage to get to it either, couldn't get out of the L+H debate without causing significant disturbance to the whole thing, and i really didnt want to bring any attention to myself....

blondie83 wrote:
    I think taking part in the boat race may have been a slight mistake though - I'm so hungover now I can't even type properly!

There was a boat race?!

It's which club is best at speed drinking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fluffster

I went to ninjutso on tuesday. The instructor guys seemed decent enough...the hall was too small for the size of the group though really and there were too many new people to learn stuff...

plus having the guys watching from the balconey thing while we were bending over and that didnt help....the orangey guy was hot though

i was thinking of taking up Aikido (it fits nicely into my schedule). does anyone know if you can join a club after freshers week (ie now)?

Just go to the class. Talk to the instructor. You should be OK. Syth does aikido, send him a PM.

MatthewVII wrote:
    i was thinking of taking up Aikido (it fits nicely into my schedule). does anyone know if you can join a club after freshers week (ie now)?
    I'm pretty sure you can join now. There was only about 10 people at the last training session (ie yesterday), so it's not like we were full :). Unless you were there yesterday...

Either way the next training session is on thursday at 6pm in hall C (the middle one that's more of a large corridor than a hall).

Advertisement