Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can't get broadband!

• 25-09-2004 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭

Hi all,

I live just off South Circular Road in Dublin 8 (Dufferin Avenue). I know that the nearest exchange to me is Dolphin's Barn and also I know some of my friends who live on SCR proper can get BB but why can't I? I phoned Eircom asking about it, they said my line failed, but they can't give a reason. I asked if it's only the line to my house or I'm too far from the exchange, but they can't give a definite answer. They asked me if I know any phone numbers on my street, I don't so, can't say definitely it's my line or area.

Later I called Eircom again asking if I take a 2nd line would that get me BB, they said it's not certain.

So what should I do? A 2nd line costs about E120, if i wanted a technician to come to physically check my line, then it's about E50.

Does anybody else live around this area or have a phone number so I can check?

Cheers!

I WANT BROADBAND!!!!! 56K IS KILLING ME!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

wanwarlock wrote:
    They asked me if I know any phone numbers on my street, I don't so, can't say definitely it's my line or area.
    Ask your neighbours for theirs. Is your line split? Do you have an evil grey box under your stairs or somewhere in the house that eircom put in for you for line splitting because that will more then likely fail the test for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Is it worth wile to get an engineer out to look at the line. Will he tell me what wrong with my line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

ring eircom and tell them there is noise on the line. they then HAVE TO come out and invetigate the line for free as you paying them for rental. i was in roughly the same situation and had an engineer who owed me a favour. he tested my line at the exchange and it failed so he told me to tell them about the "noise". the came out sorted it and now ive got broadband.

Just thought it might be worth a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Did the friend come out to check the line or was it another engineer? Did you tell him you just wanted to get BB when he arrived or did he just examine your line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭wanwarlock

MacGyver wrote:
    ring eircom and tell them there is noise on the line. they then HAVE TO come out and invetigate the line for free as you paying them for rental. i was in roughly the same situation and had an engineer who owed me a favour. he tested my line at the exchange and it failed so he told me to tell them about the "noise". the came out sorted it and now ive got broadband.

Just thought it might be worth a try

i might try and do that. i first ask them to come and test my line for bb. but eircom said just getting them to come would cost me, if they do find something, it'll be more on top of that.

i don't have any of my neighbour's numbers, cos we're all students, and don't mingle with the them... :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement