Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far too bloated

Options
  • 26-09-2004 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭

The news boards.ie design/software is far too bloated making it impposibly slow on a 33K connection:

Each page index is 2x to 3x bigger due to summaries stored in pages revealed by click.

There is no light weight graphic version, the graphics nearly quadruple page size compared with old minimal system.

The "quick reply" is slow or as slow as normal reply, as the page must be reloaded first, For a quick reply box, the page should NOT have to reload (which means no automatic quote, use normal reply).

All in all I hardly visit now. The only slower system (that I avoid if possible) seems to be Yahoo Groups.

So all in all my feeling is that pages maybe are 5 or 6 times slower to load, due to excessive content. DO the VB writers only test with LAN and Broadband connections?

I can't have ISDN or BB no matter how much I'm prepared to pay.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

erm the page doesnt reload for quick reply. /me quick replies.

the quote thing in quick reply is optional... you need to tick "quote message in reply"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Try using this link instead..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/

that any better? You can't read the stickies nor reply to the posts but it is a quick way to read a forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

This is a quick reply , no reload, no excessive delay . I am recently using Mozilla Firefox 0.93 having become sick of chasing bugs n fixes n slowdown crap in IE6

Boards is dog slow about 1pm 2pm Mon-Fri Watty, a problem of success I fear but is otherwise fine at about 48k analogue dialup

M

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Watty you don't use IE on a mac do you? That's the only thing I have used that makes a new page load for quick reply.

Try using a different browser - like Firefox. That can really speed up over Internet Hiccupsplorer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The reply page for this thread has 60 items at the moment, more now I've replied! There really should be less ****e cluttering the place up. I know avatars and sigs can be removed there is proberly scope for slimming down further. As for "quick reply" I just dont see the point.
    DO the VB writers only test with LAN and Broadband connections?
    Prolly, dial up is the new poor.

Is the new server de-greased yet?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

mike65 wrote:
    Is the new server de-greased yet?

cue sudden disturbing imagery of regi frolicking in a hottub with the new server

/shudders

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I browse boards without much annoyance of late and I'm on 56k. As suggested above I'd recommend Firefox as an IE replacement to speed things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I don't think any web site really should be designed specifically with 33Kbps users in mind these days. You've an abmormally slow connection, things are going to take a longer time to happen.

Bard wrote:
    You've an abmormally slow connection, things are going to take a longer time to happen.

?

This is Ireland, Not Korea . About 400,000-500,000 households use the Internet and 50,000 of them have Broadband so that means that 350,000-450,000 either use the Tooth Fairy to connect or else they use Dialup .

16k is abnormally slow alright but 33k is actually a good line in this country Bard .

M

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Further skins will be forth coming, including the much loved minimalist skin (I hope).
    There are many options in your UserCP that can help a dialup connection.
    The new server will help too.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In your UserCP you can change the default amount of posts to show per page. I use 40, cos all my connections are big enough to handle it. If you change this to 10, or even 5, you can easily halve the amount of crap that needs to be loaded. Turn off avatars and sigs too, as they can mess it up.

IIRC, VB3 is actually optimised for improved code reuse and faster downloads. Hopefully when they modified minimalist skin is ready, it'll help those on slower connections.

As Muck says too, it can be painfully slow during the week. Usually 1-2, but it can be slow up until 3 or even 4 some days.

We may have to organise a Board Load Test some evening for the Dialup User and load up some threads with and without Avatars, Sigs and stuff like display 5 and 10 per thread . When I was in sub 20k land (2002) I found sigs were a pain but not avatars.

I would even recommend changing the name of the minimalist skin to DIALUP so there is no doubt as to who should use it , could be made a sign up question for a while with a follow up PM to those who select it during that while to find out what they thought of it :)

This should all wait till the new 8 Xeon/Red Hat Enterprise Cluser Beast is in Place with its GigE Fibre Cards and stuff :)

M

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

DeVore wrote:
    Further skins will be forth coming, including the much loved minimalist skin (I hope)

\o/ yay!
    that's wonderful news :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Even on a 1.5mb broadband the boards is one of thee slowest sites I use. In fact its not much different from my old 40k dialup connection.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I like pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I never realised how slow boards was till pie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

DeVore wrote:
    including the much loved minimalist skin (I hope).

FAP!

/me loves the minimalist skin!

Advertisement