Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going Postal now available

• 26-09-2004 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

Picked up Going Postal in Hodges Figgis yesterday for €23.99.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that a new discworld book?
    oh.. balls, I need rent money in the next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I though it was Oct release, well tell us what you think of it David Stewart - I can't buy any books right now because my final year project is taking up all my reading time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭David Stewart

Very good. Vetinari is as menacing as usual (yet every so nicely) and the hero is as heroic as ever in spite of himself. And the Wizards are, well, Wizards. Without giving anything away I can tell you that none of the characters actually 'goes postal' but there is a reference to people who have 'gone Bursar.' And of course classic Pratchett dialogue:
    "Is there a hospice in the city? Even a decent doctor?"
    "There's the Lady Sybill Free Hospital"
    "Is it any good?"
    "Well, some people don't die."

Heartily recommended.

David

Heartily recommended.
    I am so happy about that; I was afraid that he was going to write another Monstrous Mistake. Getting this as soon as I have some time to read it :D WHOOO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

I only got it yesterday, but get this - there are CHAPTERS That's right folks, pratchett finally has chapterised (may not be a word) the discworld, Im sure his past critics will be glad to hear that. So far seems funny, and Moist Van Lipwig so far seems a lot more like a fleshed out Rincewind (the "cowardly" aspect anyway).

• Advertisement

chapters?

dear jesus christ

well the money's down in the bookshop, I just got to wait for them to get it in..
    oooh, I don't want to wait :)

I have it

22.99. eat that(!) original poster :D

time to go a readin'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 strangelove

CHAPTERS can he doo that? :confused:

I can't wait, but can afford to buy.

Yeah but i mean you dont notice the chapters, I mean it's hardly a radical new concept.

I got my copy in waterstones in London - did anyone else get that special edition with the envelope with the ankh-morpork stamps on it? That was a nice touch i thought. Looked very convincing.

the inside of the book itself hash stamps all over it.. not the fancy shiny covery part

• Advertisement

yeah the inside cover has pictures of stamps, but the copies on sale in waterstones had an actual envelope inside, with "real" stamps (the designs from the inside cover) stuck onto it, ill scan it in at some point and show you if.

oh

i guess you get what you pay for with that extra euro :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Got meh copy last night! :D

Hell yeah its lookin good.

finished it last night, loved it :) fantastic book.
    "and then stanley had one of his little moments"

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Wot? Chapters? Pratchett sold out, man. Now I don't believe in nuthin' no more. I'm goin' to LAW SCHOOL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Sarky wrote:
    Wot? Chapters? Pratchett sold out, man. Now I don't believe in nuthin' no more. I'm goin' to LAW SCHOOL!

damn straight, I'm quite put off by these chapters, one of the things i loved with pratchett was the uninterrupted flow.
    book is shaping up well though, should be finished it tonight.

I love the little preview notes at the top of the chapters though, they're almost as much fun as the chapters themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

finished it yesterday, i dont like the chapters at all, and the preview notes just amounted to mini-spoilers imo.
    The book itself was excellent, super-geeky and hilarious, dimwell rhyming slang cracked me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

I shall pick it up tomorrow or Friday. Without my judgement it is worthless. But since I'm mentioned its bound to be good.

I finished it and am still undecided what to make of it; in many ways it feels a lot like "the truth", though in many other ways, it isn't.
    It seemed to be two books - one book about the workers mythology and fleshing out the Grand Trunk company, the other was about Moist's "adventures" in starting up the Post Office again.
    To be honest, I didn't like the fact that there were cameos from many other Ankh Mopork characters - from Sacharissa of The Times (Moist notes she's wearing a wedding ring!) to Ridcully to Vimes (though he doesn't speak), and even Dr. Lawn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

Best Pratchett for a while! Couldn't put it down. Strange having chapters though! Terry's pulling no punches on this one.

You could have added this as a reply to the thread "Going Postal now available" :) I suppose it's not important since it's not as if this forum gets a huge number of new threads anyway.I'm very happy to hear he is back in form; I've not had the funds/time to get this yet....probably X-Mas before I can get the time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Merged "Going Postal" thread with this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Just finished it and have to say that I enjoyed it even if it was a bit strange to have a discworld book with chapters. Moist is very good as the conman with the heart of gold and I liked the small cameos from old characters.

"Neither Deluge Nor Ice Storm Nor The Black Silence Of The Netherhells Shall Stay These Messengers From Their Sacred Business. Do Not Ask Us About Sabre-Tooth Tigers, Tar Pits, Big Green Things With Teeth Or The Goddess Czol." - Extremly Senior Postman Anghammarad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

I loved it, the Ankh Morpork series (I recon its an off shoot of the Guards series) are raplidly becoming some off my favorites.

The cameos were much better than in MR (Me shudders)

Moist, a well thought out character. Dearheart, I reckon could replace Susan Sto Helit as my favorite famale character. Any one notice there were less foot notes. The Chapter system I didn't like, didn't read them as I read the book, read them aftewards and realsied how much they would have spolied.

Look forward to much more Pratchett. Any one else sometimes wish they hadn't read any Pratchett yet, so they could read all again for the first time? sigh..

Also I'm a philatelist, so anyone with that envelop with stamps looking to sell it?

Hmmm I dunno - I found the cameos intruisive, frankly - it was about the time Dr. Lawn appeared that I thought - "urgh - wtf? stop this parade of [font=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif]old[/font] characters". Actually, what was amazing that in all the cameos, Dibbler didn't appear :)

At first Moist felt like a more fleshed our Rincewind when it suggested that Moist was someone who was always ready to run away. But he gradually became a better character. Agreed though, Dearheart was a good character, and the "sexiness" was pretty overt.

I still think a whole book could have been made of just the grand Trunk company.

Advertisement