Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The magic 'Six' (6GHz) has been broken

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

good god that is some XTREME overclock

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

:o Holy dog poop!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

tck wrote:
    i wouldn't even know where to get liquid nitrogen!

you can get it from companies like gasworld.com or something but you need permission of some sorts to buy it, its not easy to come buy at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

i better start saving now :D holy st*t i thought i was doing well getting to 4.2 ghz did you see his 3dmark03 score 1800 and odd ...now thats the way to go :eek: my kind of guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Didnt toms hardware do this last year sometime?

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

KdjaC wrote:
    Didnt toms hardware do this last year sometime?

kdjac

yeah but i think it was 5ghz..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It's not stable though they have to bring it down to 5.4Ghz to get a benchable stable system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

It's not stable though they have to bring it down to 5.4Ghz to get a benchable stable system.

yeah but still it would be so sweet to see that 6ghz on your desktop even for a couple of minutes :p

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The chip does 5.4G Superpi already at 1.55V and -90C

Hehe, kewl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

liquid nitrogen is pointless, I don't even take any notice of benches done with it. you can't run a system cooled by liquid nitrogen, it'll run for a few minutes so you can bench and then what?
    Benching is to give an indication of how the system will perform in real world tasks, like gaming. you can't game on a system that's cooled by liquid nitrogen, it's completely pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

now thats the way to go my kind of guy

Dubdvd......Is something you want to share with us ;) (only Joking)

koneko wrote:
    liquid nitrogen is pointless, I don't even take any notice of benches done with it. you can't run a system cooled by liquid nitrogen, it'll run for a few minutes so you can bench and then what?
    Benching is to give an indication of how the system will perform in real world tasks, like gaming. you can't game on a system that's cooled by liquid nitrogen, it's completely pointless.

Now apologies if this is a really stupid question....but why not? Does the nitrogen warm up and dissapate...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i wonder what sort of stable oc he can get ...

It does disappate/disappear. You'd have to keep topping up the liquid nitrogen every few minutes.

Would you want to get your protective gear on and do this every few minutes, or have someone standby while you play your games?

http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20031230/5ghz-13.html#conclusion_525_ghz_liquid_nitrogen_cools_the_p4_to_a_new_speed_record

koneko wrote:
    It does disappate/disappear. You'd have to keep topping up the liquid nitrogen every few minutes.

Would you want to get your protective gear on and do this every few minutes, or have someone standby while you play your games?

http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20031230/5ghz-13.html#conclusion_525_ghz_liquid_nitrogen_cools_the_p4_to_a_new_speed_record

LOL...Cheers, Koneko. I had an inkling it was something like that.

don't think it's worth it. Somehow i can't see my mates risking their digits so that i can play games that bit quicker.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

koneko wrote:

Its not pointless, it is just to see how much hardware can be pushed and used at. This type of benchmark is not to " give an indication of how the system will perform in real world tasks, like gaming", it is to show how much u can get out of the hardware, to get a glimpse of what the future cpus will be capable. It is just to prove that these chips are capable of doing mmuch more, its obvious you wouldnt be using this on your desktop

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

6GHz <Yawn>

Back in 1998 they were talking about Room Temperature Supercomputing - 16 GHz SiGe HBT Fast-RISC - Computing at GHz Speeds DAAG 55-97-1-0316
    http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/frisc/slides/HTMT98/

Zoom forward to August 6, 2001 and we have 100GHz hardware http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/ArticleID/3770/3770.html
    researchers at IBM Microelectronics have reformed the structure of the SiGe heterojunction-bipolar transistor (HBT) to catapult its cutoff frequency (fT) to 210 GHz.
    The company believes this transistor will drive communications and networking chips to 100 GHz

Anyone know where they are today ???

edit - Back in 2000 these guys were thinking even faster
    http://www.eet.com/story/OEG20000410S0057
    "We're working with chemists now who are designing molecules that when attached will act like transistors that can switch at 100 trillion times a second," said Lyding.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight

Anyone know where they are today ???

Another EE Times article from earlier this year -Vitesse (VTSS) had some InP frequency dividers running at 152GHz.

Some googling for fastest transistor shows a device running with an fmax of > 500GHz - this is from 2003, so I'm sure there must be something faster out there by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Ok i guess it is pretty good but really useless!
    Who needs to crunch all those numbers and even if they do how stable can it be

Yeah thanks gline :rolleyes: I know that (I used to have a prometeia aswell)

That doesn't take away from my point, it's still useless. If you can't run your system like that, the benches (other than giving indications into future speeds etc etc) mean nothing in real world computing imho.

I mean, I see your point, but I see people on forums getting all hyped over it and saying omg look at those scores, when the scores themselves mean nothing. The actual speed they got it to, fair enough, but the 3dmark scores are pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Superman wrote:
    Ok i guess it is pretty good but really useless!
    Who needs to crunch all those numbers and even if they do how stable can it be
    that's the same thing people have been saying for years about computing power. who needs it right now? probably nobody, but things do progress.

people write better software that can do more, so we need faster processors to take full advantage, and so on and so forth.

it's the same with everything, a gradual evolution.

whpo'd want to sit and type a short message on a fiddley phone keypad when you can just call someone instead and tell them what you wanted to say? that'll never take off will it?

I'm off on a tangent again aren't I?:rolleyes:

Oh well.

you get the idea anyway.

Advertisement