Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And Who Said Pci-e Isnt An Improvement On Agp

Options
  • 26-09-2004 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

Just got my pci-express x800xt up and running this week ...all week 3dmark03 wouldnt work with the pci-e cards ...but i found a fix on the interweb so if anyone out there is having the same probs let me know and ill send on the link... Any how got it working today and heres my frist result below i never got this on the AGP X800 that i had and that was running a p4 3.4 northwood and a gig of ddr which is the same as what im running now .."in the 775 version "...and the AGP X800 was being cooled with a zalman cooler and this is the normal ati hsf ..So i can only think what ill get when im running it on water during the week?????

3dmark03 score ****13605***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Erm i dunno really about pci-e vs AGP but benchmarks are always misleading. According to benchmarks my hdd is 60% faster tham before but in real use its only about 15% etc (not real but an example).

If you can show me a real improvement in game then ill get excited ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

What score did you get with your old set up? What processor did you use with the AGP set up? I am guessing it wasn't a new P4 running at 4.121 Ghz with a gig of the same RAM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

TBH i did have a p4 northwood at very close to this 3.9ghz and a gig of ddr4000 500mhz and the 875 chipset so its not that far of when you think about it????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

3dmarks2003 is mostly gfx card anyway, very little else is tested iirc.

Ok so what was your previous score?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

So you've shown a AGP X800 is slower than a PCI-e X800XT with faster ram and a faster cpu???

Ciaran500 wrote:
    So you've shown a AGP X800 is slower than a PCI-e X800XT with faster ram and a faster cpu???

No not a faster cpu .."last one was a presscot 3.4 1mb cache".. and i had the clocks on the cards core and mem at the same on the gpus.. and as far as the ddr2 is concerned the ddr 500mhz is meant to be as good "so its being said" as what im using ....and the whole point that im trying to make here is that from all the talk on this subject ..i.e ...the fact that there is no improvment or point at the moment in getting a pci-express setup.. id say that there is a bigger improvment not only in the the graphics but also in other benckmarks ....and i know that they are not a real stick measure compared to your system real time proformance .thats all im trying to say
    and also the fact that this is a tweaking and modding forum and im pretty chuffed that i got a good score ;) so why not post it and be happy to share it with the rest of you :D

Yes but you said something "factual" but have no provided the score you got using your AGP based card?

Yes but you said something "factual" but have no provided the score you got using your AGP based card?

the score reached with the AGP in around 11500 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

it'll be due to other reasons than the graphics card. Current graphics cards barely saturate an AGP4x bus, let alone 8x or PCI-E. PCI-E is better with regards to power supply, and in replacing the parrallel PCI bus with a low pin serial bus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement