Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The broad curriculum- Is it any good?

• 26-09-2004 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭

I was just wondering if it was any use really.I was thinking of doing the english module when the option was available, but are the courses worthwhile?
    Has anyone frequenting the board tried out the initiative?

Looking for all expirences, good and bad.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I did the 'Film, History and Cultural Memory' course two years ago and enjoyed it a lot. It basically involved watching a film once a week then in the lectures you looked in one at the film techniques used and the other at the historical context. Your mark was from 2 essays and there was a question on pretty much every film so there's was loads of choice. If you want an interesting but not too strenuous BC course I'd recommend it if you've an interest in film and/or 20th century history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pugwash

Is there any major advantage to doing it?

Or is it just to have a break from your main degree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Actually, this sounds really interesting, but I don't have a clue what it is, so could someone explain to me what it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Well its basically just do a course from a different faculty than your own for the year, so most of us here would take something from the arts block like law or dat......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

SkyLynx wrote:
    Well its basically just do a course from a different faculty than your own for the year, so most of us here would take something from the arts block like law or dat......
    Brilliant! And what do you do with your normal course, do you suspend it for a year? Or is this taken on top of your normal course?

Point me to where I can find more info...

• Advertisement

Tis taken instead of one subject as far as I know, or on top of your course, but not instead of an entire course!

http://www.tcd.ie/Broad_Curriculum/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

It's just an extra course you take for the year. There's no real major advantages other than giving you chance to get a break from your subject and study something different. It's put on your college record that you did it and what mark you got and then goes on your transcript if you ever need it for a job or applying to another college later/for a year abroad etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Pugwash

Do these courses contribute toward your final degree result then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

can do, depends on the course, for maths its half a 3rd year course....which would translate into ~5% of your final degree

Advertisement