Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GMIT to open College of Homeopathy

Options
  • 26-09-2004 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭

The Galway/Mayo Institute of Technology has caved in to popularisation when deciding what it is prepared to endorse and teach. Now the strangest of all alternative practices is being given credibility in a new school of homeopathy to be based in GMIT in Galway. Future purveyors of homeopathy, now have a cloak of respectability which will allow them to sell people ordinary water while claiming it has healing properties.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Clare Sheehan, one of this operation's "core tutors" claims to have interviewed [see below] a guy named Dave Mundy who also seems to be involved with the GMIT outfit, and who's billed as "one of Britain's foremost homeopaths and teachers". The full text of the interview is available at:

http://www.focussed.net/interview.html

...and from which, amongst much other breathless text, comes the following few gems:
      "if you allow yourself to get carried away in extrapolation and theorizing then you lose the whole basis of homeopathy which is the scientific bit i.e. the provings"
      "I heard that someone who had studied with Rajan, attended a Vithoulkas seminar and suggested Lac Felinum for a boy who believed that he was a cat! This is definitely not Rajan’s teaching."
      "You don’t learn homeopathy you become a homeopath."
      "I had a patient once who had a desire to bite peoples' noses off [...] she said "I’ve got a symptom and I’m a bit nervous to tell you ‘cause you might laugh at me. I said don’t worry, you can tell me, I’m a doctor (laughing)..."
      "there was the case of a boy who used to eat soap. He would eat soap and then run around foaming at the mouth. A closer investigation of his symptoms revealed symptoms of Lyssin, such as a strong craving for salt, and it was given and it cured him. Obviously, if you think about someone running around foaming at the mouth you are going to think of rabies."
      "I have another case of the lady who fell on spikes and pierced her lung and she did well from Hypericum. And we know Hypericum is a remedy for puncture wounds. But the simple fact is that she needed Hypericum before she fell on the spikes."
      You can tell a lot of a remedy by looking at its delusions. Not in the literal sense but in terms of what they represent. Like the Agaricus delusion: He is commanded to kneel down, confess his sins and rip open his bowel by a mushroom.

Thirty seconds Googling indicates that either Mr Mundy's a remarkably consistent interviewee, or else Ms Sheehan had simply cut'n'pasted the text of an earlier, published interview which apparently the same Mr Mundy did with somebody named Jenny Calogeros-Smith in 2002, and which is available on the internet at:

http://www.grundlagen-praxis.de/debatte/englisch/mundy.pdf

...and gone on to misrepresent it as her own interview, though I can't imagine that somebody who's "Chairperson of the European Network for Homeopathy Education" could even contemplate doing such a thing. In any case, it's interesting to compare the very, very few differences between Mr Mundy's answers in the previous interview with the later one, to see how he's 'matured' under Ms Sheehan's expert guidance. Her spelling's not improved in the two years either, and has gone so far as to make the same mistakes twice.

Anyhow, who's funding this operation? Is it fully-integrated part of the GMIT? Or are they just renting floor-space? HETAC don't seem to know much about them but I can't imagine an homeopathic outfit even bothering to seek accreditation anyway.

On the legal side, aren't there laws which are supposed to prevent medically untrained people from claiming to be doctors (see fourth point above)?

- robin (wondering where he can find a suitably blunt mushroom)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭NinjaBart

i think its fantastic that we'll have properly trained homeopaths instead of those fraudsters that you often hear about.

Advertisement