Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How long do points stay?

Options
  • 26-09-2004 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

My question is if you get points on your licence how long do they stay on it for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

3 years but this being ireland you the point may not be applied to your licence for months. the mother got busted last october for speeding but the points didn't go on her licence till feburary. i told her to moan and whinge about it on the radio or something but does anyone evr listen to me? they quick enough to send out the notification demanding that the fine be paid though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

same thing here.. got done in July, points didnt appear till October. What good would crying about it do? You'd probably just get the stock response that the paperwork takes time to process.. blah blah blah. Only two years until I've got a clean license again.. let the countdown begin.

it can't be that hard to backdate the points, 2 or 3 months is a big delay. i would't complain about it if it was only a week or two and the more people that bitch and whinge about this kind of thing the sooner something will be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

How were you informed that you got points?
    How were you informed that they were finally applied?

ain't got any myself but i know that the mother was told when she was stopped that she'd get a letter in the post informing her that points had been applied to her licence. sure enough that's exactly what happened but the date that the points came into effect on was the same date as the letter, several months after the offence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

ain't got any myself but i know that the mother was told when she was stopped that she'd get a letter in the post informing her that points had been applied to her licence. sure enough that's exactly what happened but the date that the points came into effect on was the same date as the letter, several months after the offence

On the surface this appears unfair, as if points last longer than intended.
    But remember that - aside from disqualification for mass accumulation - the only thing points affect is the insurance premium of the driver.

So you could contact your insurance company and look for there exact wording on points. They may only consider points valid from the actual date of coming into effect, indeed they may even use that phrase. Although they may use an term, which in light of your above post is ambiguous, such as "received" or "receipt", subsequent interpretation in a court would likely favour the insurance company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i thought it was 2 years, and this starts from when you first get caught!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i thought they had to inform you that you were getting points within 2 weeks ? is this not true ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

a week or two was the original plan but they never thought about the technical details such as these and therefore it can take much longer!
    The gardai need full months training on "how to lick an envelope", followed by an intensive three week course on "Stamps & how to use them"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I got caught when the points first came out, back in november 2002. I've had the points on my license since aprox march'03

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Points in the UK date from the date of the offence.

ah so i'm not the only one perplexed by this issue. honestly though how hard can it be to back date the points. would the whole thing not be computerised anyway? i seem to remember that held up the introduction of the points system for a bit. surely it doesn't take a few months to type in a licence number and add points to it. personally i think points are a great idea. a speeding offence is no longer just an 80 euro fine but would cost me over a grand in insurance discounts over the 3 years

*yes i do realise we live in ireland and such wishful thinking as efficent gardai or stuff happening on time or a planned will never happen

ah so i'm not the only one perplexed by this issue. honestly though how hard can it be to back date the points. would the whole thing not be computerised anyway? i seem to remember that held up the introduction of the points system for a bit. surely it doesn't take a few months to type in a licence number and add points to it. personally i think points are a great idea. a speeding offence is no longer just an 80 euro fine but would cost me over a grand in insurance discounts over the 3 years

*yes i do realise we live in ireland and such wishful thinking as efficent gardai or stuff happening on time or a planned will never happen
    As I said in a previous post, the UK only imposes the points from the date of offence. This has the advantage for the offender in that he/she can string out the legal process for 1 year and then get say 3 points, which are backdated so in effect they are only there for 2 years.

The Irish system is designed for max punishment so that someone can't string out the courts in order to reduce the impact of points and that the points are effectively there for 3 and a bit years. It would be like a armed robber getting sentanced to 20 years in jail but despite having done 2 years on remand he still has to do the full 20 from the court date. I don't think the scumbags and robbers would stand for it, and we shouldn't either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

If the points haven't been applied to your licence yet then they do not matter. You can notify the insurance company after you get the notification of points and it will then apply for ?2? years....

...dont forget to remind them of when those points expire as they prob wont remember to remove them from your premium.....
    would the whole thing not be computerised anyway?
    Most of the top gardai dont even have e-mail so how could they computerise systems???? If it weren't so serious I'd be laughing me ass off at the state of the gardai!!!

If the points haven't been applied to your licence yet then they do not matter. You can notify the insurance company after you get the notification of points and it will then apply for ?2? years....

...dont forget to remind them of when those points expire as they prob wont remember to remove them from your premium.....

Its 3 years!

The insurance will probably continue to penalise you for a further 2 years, this being Ireland of course!

Boggle wrote:
    If the points haven't been applied to your licence yet then they do not matter. You can notify the insurance company after you get the notification of points and it will then apply for ?2? years....!

they apply for 3 years not 3. i understand about not having to notify the insurance complany until you get the notice but 3 months is a long time. there's a good chance that it could affect your premium for an extra year because of your renemal date. it the punishment is 3 years then thats what we should be given not 3 years and whatever it takes to process you
    Boggle wrote:
    Most of the top gardai dont even have e-mail so how could they computerise systems???? If it weren't so serious I'd be laughing me ass off at the state of the gardai!!!

thats a scary thought indeed. i mean your average schoolkid has an email address

• Registered Users Posts: 78,396 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If they applied it from the date of offence, what becomes of presumption of innocence?
    elexes wrote:
    i thought they had to inform you that you were getting points within 2 weeks ? is this not true ?
    No, thats the old system.

Advertisement