Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB - Will you take back your ripwave modem please?

• 26-09-2004 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

Sorry, but it seems IBB only deal with my issues when I post here on boards. Otherwise they ignore me.

I got my ripwave modem about a week and half ago, but I cannot pick up a signal at my house. The modem is fnie though as it works in my workplace.

IBB were supposed to collect the modem and refund my money last Wednesday, but didn't. Then again on Thursday... nope... then again on Friday... nope...

IBB, will you please collect your modem from me (at my workplace, as I've specified) and refund my money?

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭alc

Yes I have had the same problem. Got the modem, got excited, got home and that's all I got.

Called customer support, after 20 mins comparing my copy of the OSI map of Dublin with theirs they confirmed that coverage is not available in my area. Customer support chap was less than surprised that I had been repeatedly assured by sales that coverage was available when it is not (he even employed expletives to describe this type of tactic used by their sales as CS were always left with the unhappy consumer).

Anyway, rang again next day (wed) to arrange pickup of modem, they say next Tuesday. Tuesday comes & goes, I ring they say soon, as Thursday approaces it's close I ring and vent about how the service I paid for was not provided and that I want a refund immediately. They say no-way and will collect Friday. Friday pm and the modem is collected. They say modem must be tested before refund can happen, this will take 1 day, and then 3 days for refund so should have refund by Friday (no lee-way for them anymore).

Just as an aside, the contract is very clear about the 99euro for connection service, 29euro for 1 month of connection and 0euro for ripwave modem. Does anyone know if they are entitled to refuse a refund until the modem is returned? My logic would work along : services I paid for cannot be provided, I did not pay anything for modem, so I'm entitled to refund now!?

Anyone else experiencing similar ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

Hmmm... thanks for your reply.

Still no modem collected.

I guess if they don't pick it up within the month, I can do a chargeback and keep the modem (because as you said, it was free.)

But I'd rather they just took the modem and gave me back my money.

IBB make eircom look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

I guess if they don't pick it up within the month, I can do a chargeback and keep the modem (because as you said, it was free.)
    You weren't charged for it because it remains the property of IBB. And even if it was "free", it'd just be an ugly paperweight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I'm considering Ripwave, what areas of Dublin are you in that are supposed to be covered but turned out not to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭wheels of ire

This is all a bit disturbing,as I had been seriously considering using them when my contract with Eircon expires.As I live in the city centre, I've assumed that a signal could be obtained here, on the Liffey.
    Ripwave is part of Irish Broadband, right?
    I really believe in the idea of WiFi, but ....

• Advertisement

BrianD wrote:
    I'm considering Ripwave, what areas of Dublin are you in that are supposed to be covered but turned out not to be?

I'm in Dublin city centre, beside Merrion square.

I can get a signal in my workplace though (Grafton Street.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Inchicore Dublin 8 seems to have no signal at all. Near Inchicore village but towards the canal. I was assured by sales also that there should be coverage...

I'm in Santry and was assured the Ballymun transmitter would provide me coverage. When I was signing up the Ballymun coverage map wasn't on their website, now that it is it's clear to me that I wouldn't be inside the coverage area.

To determine that I couldn't get a signal I rang customer services the evening I got my modem, we both got out a map of Dublin I and managed to help him pinpoint exactly where my apartment is. He was then easily able to determine that I wouldn't have coverage. I'm not sure how customer support will react if you give them a ring to do the same before you sign up but I'd say it's worth a go as the chap I talked with was miffed (to say the least) that sales had gone ahead without actually checking. I can imagine that this is a pain for IBB as a whole too, they have to refund me and will be out of pocket to the tune of two courier deliveries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

This does not bode well as I have been considering them as my only viable way of getting bb to the household here :(

TacT wrote:
    This does not bode well as I have been considering them as my only viable way of getting bb to the household here :(

Yo TacT

You finally made the escape from Stillorgan? :)

BTW Did you see that scumbag Johnny McGee was in a boxing match on Sunday?

• Advertisement

IBB... stop ignoring my support e-mails!! And stop promising to ring me back when I ring you, yet never ring me back!

What a dire company.

Are you going to collect your modem off me at any stage?

(to those wondering why I'm posting here, IBB have sent me PM's in response to my posts here before.)

IBB... stop ignoring my support e-mails!! And stop promising to ring me back when I ring you, yet never ring me back!

What a dire company.

Are you going to collect your modem off me at any stage?

(to those wondering why I'm posting here, IBB have sent me PM's in response to my posts here before.)

If it's any use to you I normally rang just after lunch, 14:15 ish and I think I always took the sales option at the prompt, and eventually, being fed up being told that sales-person X was not responsible for collections and/or refunds I asked to speak with someone who was, after a few mins I was put onto someone who sounded like she was a little higher up the chain. I can PM you her name if u want (sorry first name only).

I haven't really had a problem with getting in contact with them (just getting them to actually pick up the damn thing). Altho the sales chap I got onto did seem less enthusiastic after I informed him coverage wasn't actually available (to be fair tho, he has replied to almost all my emails since that discovery).

Sorry, but it seems IBB only deal with my issues when I post here on boards. Otherwise they ignore me.

I got my ripwave modem about a week and half ago, but I cannot pick up a signal at my house. The modem is fnie though as it works in my workplace.

IBB were supposed to collect the modem and refund my money last Wednesday, but didn't. Then again on Thursday... nope... then again on Friday... nope...

IBB, will you please collect your modem from me (at my workplace, as I've specified) and refund my money?

Thank you.

you get any further with your modem-collection & refund? my modem was collected 10 days ago and still no refund, getting excessively annoyed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I've had the same problem. Mine broke down and I had to wait 2 weeks for it to be collected. That was two weeks ago and they don't even know where the modem is now. And, they never ring you back when they say they're going to look into it.

What the hell is the point of using a courier company if it would be far quicker just to post the damned thing.

They're currently on a big PR drive. That ad hasn't been off the radio all day but unless they sort out the service, they haven't a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

IBB Support has always been a problem but I thought that things had improved in the past months with ticket number system they implemented and they were actually calling back.

I heard the ad on the radio too back in early september, in a way I was glad that they finaly did, but I fear that their business is growing faster than their support service can.

I can only hope that the quality and reliability of their products improve otherwise their support service won't cope (it already seems overloaded) with the expansion and many user will cancel their subscription and will tell their friends not to join IBB.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Oh dear! My ripwave is currently awaiting a return for 'testing'. Sadly I'll have to sign up for their Breeze system as i've no other options!

Johnny Versace, did you get your ripwave modem collected yet?

Just to keep you informed of my progress, my modem was collected on 24/Sept, I was assured that when it was collected it would take a day to test it and up to 3 days for the refund. Rang last Wed (06/Oct) having seen no action from IBB on my creditcard. They say they didn't get the modem until 04/Oct (what? it takes 2 whole weeks to get from their courier to them, how the hell is that justifiable?!?!), they said I would have the refund by Friday 08/Oct.

I have been onto ComReg about this and they say they will tackle it directly if I want, I said I would wait and give IrishBroadband until today to deal with it themselves, still no sign of refund, so am probably going to ask ComReg to do the job from here on in. You might consider doing similar (I have real-live-person ComReg contact details if you want)

Will keep this thread updated if/when this ever finishes.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Alc, can you PM me those comreg details - they seem to be insistent on not collecting mine. What a way to antagonize a potential customer of their VL service.

Does anyone have any details for anyone high up in IBB?

Just a note to anyone who's had to deal with the courier company, instead of (01) 450 2548, you'll get a response first time on (01) 294 3230.

Advertisement