Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unable to use MSN, AIM, BitTorrent etc etc... anything cept IE and Firefox. on a LAN.

Options
  • 26-09-2004 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

im living in student accommodation. i want to use these things but everything has been stoped due to too much filesharing. some pigignorant friend of mine mumbled something about 'ports'. now, im partial to a good port or maybe a brandy in the evening, but this problem is ruining my desire to even do that. ill relax when i have the problem sorted out... can port(s) help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

I've been having the same problem fro a good while. It is the ports I think. the ones used by messengers are blocked and removing the software that blocked them doesn't seem to work! (security/privacy software)
    I found about 10 different solutions on other forums while googling. None of them worked for me. Don't remember them either sorry bout that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Chevano Riley

coolio. just for the record of anybody else trying to help me out, ive got no software of theirs installed. i just plugged a network card into the jack and set the dial up connections to LAN.

oh man, btw. aim express (http://www.aim.com/get_aim/express/aim_expr.adp?aolp=) and e-messenger (www.e-messenger.net) may be handy until you get the problem sorted. IM through your browser. aim express is terrific and almost as good as having it installed. e-messenger is frustrating and slow, but the answer is just around the corner. fight the power.

edit: incorrect url. corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

You should be able to connect to messenger services and get very limited download speeds by using a program called Http-Tunnel. You'll have to alter the settings on your MSN to tell it to connect using a HTTP proxy.

You should be able to connect to messenger services and get very limited download speeds by using a program called Http-Tunnel. You'll have to alter the settings on your MSN to tell it to connect using a HTTP proxy.
    you're a superstar!
    trillian is working.

great flash tutorials on http tunnels website, even i can understand how to do it.

• Advertisement

None of that works for me. Got an "unknown error" with e-messenger. Don't use AOL. Thanks anyway. My computer seems extremely secure from any instant messages.

whats your phone number? ill sign in as you and relay the messages from your friends. or postal address. that could work too.

lol! emessenger appears to be working now

e-mess homepage:
    There are now 3 servers running the application. When you use the login box on your left you'll be redirected to the server with less load.
    If you're not lucky then go to one of the servers and start from there:
    Server #1 Server #2 Server #3

edit: appears to be working sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

you're a superstar!
    trillian is working.

great flash tutorials on http tunnels website, even i can understand how to do it.

Superstar eh? ;)

You could also try fiddling around with some of ther other HTTP tunneling programs to see which one gets you fastest speeds for downloading, try a google search.

• Advertisement

Superstar eh? ;)

You could also try fiddling around with some of ther other HTTP tunneling programs to see which one gets you fastest speeds for downloading, try a google search.
    well, hopefully something else will work for me. i dont think i can mention it around here, but ill take a *crack* at it anyway. winkwinknudgenudge

Advertisement