Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Entertainment Question?

Options
  • 26-09-2004 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Got a Goodmans Surround Sound System including a DVD player from Argos about 2 months ago now.I have it set up to work with my PS2 and the dvd player but i cant get it to work while im just watching the televison say Network 2 for example!can anyone help me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

A few more details would be helpful..
    How do you get your TV signal? Satellite/Cable/Aerial?
    How have you tried to hook-up your TV to your stereo?
    Does your TV have sound outputs?
    What kind of inputs does your Goodmans system have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭absolut3_slim

A few more details would be helpful..
    How do you get your TV signal? Satellite/Cable/Aerial?
    How have you tried to hook-up your TV to your stereo?
    Does your TV have sound outputs?
    What kind of inputs does your Goodmans system have?

TV Signal - Coming from the main telvsion,got all the channels including sky
    Got no aux connections on my stereo
    Only outputs on it is,for a camcorder on the front I think and just the scart cable for input

Goodmans system has loads of inputs,heres a link to the spec of it - http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/dvd-home-cinema-systems/goodmans-hec17.asp

Inputs are for dvd,game/camcorder,tv/vcr,aux

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If the PS2 is connected via scart and is on all the time you may well have a signal on pin 8 of the scart which will fool the surround sound into thinking it is the sound source even though you are playing nothing.

Disconnect the PS2 to tv cable and see if you have sound from the TV. If you do, open up that cable and snip the lead on pin 8 and insulate the end.

The ps2 is connected,iby a lead coming from the back of the PS2 into the front amplifier,For the sound on the ps2 I select the game option,for dvd i select dvd option,for tv,i select tv/vcr but nothing happens just the volume off the tv like normal?

Can anyone help me here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

To be honest I'm at a loss to figure out what it is you are trying to do !
    You will need to provide more info about your setup if you want help.
    A link to the full spec on your home cinema system may help - the one you provided is only an ad, also what model TV are you using.

How are you getting your terestrial TV stations - RTE, UTV etc - antenna on roof or Cable box, what about SKY - do you have a dish or cable. If you have a dish then how is the digibox connected to the system, by scart or RF can you get sound from it ?

How is the DVD connected to the TV ? How are you connecting the PS2 to the system - via a modulator or using a composite or RGB scart ?

Have you got a VCR, can you connect it to the system and tune the TV channels in, that way you should get the sound from the AMP and not the TV. What connection(s) do you have between the TV and the sound system.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I take it you have connected the L/R phono cable between the Goodmans TV/VCR phonos and your TVs sound output (red/white phonos)? If you have and you are still not getting sound through the Goodmans, it could be a faulty connection. Try connecting the TV cable to the Aux phonos. If that does not work, try another phono source (eg DVD Player) into the TV/VCR connection.

As stated previously, it would be better if you could state specifics avout how everything is currently connected up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

TVs don't typically have outputs (other then head-phone sockets).. If it has connectors for a Camcorder this is more than likely an input-only..

So am I guessing correctly if I say that you have analog NTL? i.e. no decoder box, and you still pay a subscription to NTL? If this is the case, then you probably have a co-ax cable running to your tv, right?

If the above is correct, and you want to route this to your stereo, you've two choices, a Phono to Red/White composite cable (head-phone socket on your TV to red/white on the stereo), or else put a video recorder in the middle and route the sound from your VCR to the Stereo instead (Co-ax goes to video, video wil likely have Red/White connectors).

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

there is more than one scaart scoket on the back of yor tv , then yoshould be able to change ono of em in to an out put!! so all you need is another scart leadwith the indivudal red, white and yellow leads on the other end! then plug in the audio leads (red and white ones) into the sound system! if not sent the sound trough your video the same way and then use the video to flick trough the channals!!
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

he has the PS2 connected directly to the amp, thats why theres no sound when he watch TV, how is the PS2 connected to the TV?

• Advertisement

Right I'll try to explain this the best I can,In my Living room I have a TV and my Sky-Digi box which comes from the dish outside provides sky and we have an external aerial providing rte etc (terestrial)
    In my bedroom I have my HEC Inc DVD,PS2 a TV.I get my channels inc sky on the TV in my b'room from a co-ax coming from my main tv in the living room.

PS2 is connected to a 3 RCA input at the front of my HEC amp. PS2 into amp right?

DVD is connected by video cable and co-axial cable from dvd player into amp.

AMP is connected to the TV by a 2 RCA (red & white) from the TV/VCR input in to the back of the tv where i have a 3 RCA into scart-end convorter (if you know what I mean) goin into the scart opening at the back.

As krusty clown said "TVs don't typically have outputs (other then head-phone sockets).. If it has connectors for a Camcorder this is more than likely an input-only.." well its the same in my case?

So can anyone help me now?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

_conn.jpg

I reckon you should connect your system up like this

Does your TV have 2 Scart sockets? How do you connect your PS2 to the TV?

have you got a video player?? if so the VCR would have in and out scart, what you can do is use the vcr arial to get the same channel you have on the TV, output the sound from the VCR, or tune you TV to use the VCR on a channel, then use the VCR to change the TV channel and use the scart from the VCR to the AMP TV input! simple solution! you sky box should have a arial input output also, so you can put the arial to the sky box and out from there to your vcr and from vcr to TV, sound complicate but its easy!

My tv only got 1 scart scoket,PS2 is connected to the TV through the AMP into the tv?and im already using it to connected to the amp via a r/l phono cable into scart connecter head converter thing off the PS2?Can i use the headphone output in anyway?

yea you can use the head phone out to the amp input, dont have the volume up too high from the TV though, ah you only in roscommon mate, I could have call over and get you all set easily long ago!

What sort of lead will i need to use to do that?That should sort everything out!Where you based striker.

Got it working at last.A jack to phono cable sorted everything.Thanks everyone sooooo much!

Advertisement