Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Radion Stations,in other parts of ireland

Options
  • 26-09-2004 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Just wondering is there anyway i can get radio stations based in dublin on my Hi-Fi down here in roscommon using a special aerial or anything.(Mods I hope this is in the right place if not please move to correct setcion,thanks )Any info welcome!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

Unless there is a very high pressure or something then no you cant. I think if there is a realy high pressure some of the radio waves bounce off the atmosphere or something. I was in roundstone, Connemara two summers ago and one night i was able to pick up the Adrian Kenedy phone show. Roundstone being the opposite side of Ireland from Dublin. Your best bet would to try stream it online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

A good directional FM aerial should help you. Ask your local TV store.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

you could always try web streaming

Spin 1038
    FM 104
    98FM
    Q 102
    Sun 80s
    Phantom FM
    News Talk 106

these are ones that I know of that do webcasts, you then get a jack to phono cable stick the jack into the speaker socket of the computer and the phono into the AUX socket on your Hi Fi.

Those are the ones that I know off the top of my head, but you will find more in the Stations section of http://www.radiowaves.fm

hope this is of help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 john_j

Just wondering is there anyway i can get radio stations based in dublin on my Hi-Fi down here in roscommon using a special aerial or anything.(Mods I hope this is in the right place if not please move to correct setcion,thanks )Any info welcome!!!

Hi there, I'm in Longford (77 miles from Dub), have a standard TV indoor aerial out my window, which is hooked up to the hifi.
    I can pick up the Dublin stations 104, Spin, 98FM, Newstalk, Q102, Country etc... as well as some from Dundalk, Donegal, Northern Ireland etc.
    I get RDS on most of the legals most of the time.
    The aerial MUST be outside.

Just a normal two-pole tv aerial & signal booster from Argos. Needed a bit of twiddling but working well now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭absolut3_slim

Dont really want to web-stream as im on 56K modem and its sorta slow!,John_j i try your method sure its worth a go anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

A 2 bar yagi of size approx half the wavelength of FM.
    Wavelength is calculated as 300 devided by Frequency in MHZ.
    So if we devide 300 by the mid point of the FM band, ie 100MHZ
    we get 3 Metres.
    Half of 3 Metres is 1.5 metres.
    So therefore tie a wire of 0.75 metres to each end of the coax feed, and stretch them vertically maybe on your chimney.
    This is guaranteed to optimise the signal.
    You can also buy an FM amplifier to boost the signal.
    If there is a local station broadcasting on the same frequency as one of the Dublin stations then forget it. ;)

Thanks for that,so if i just buy an FM amplifier its will do the Job,seen a few in argos,would they be any good or where else can I get them?

Right I've try the above as metioned,no luck so far.Anyone got anymore ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I can just about get 104.4 here in Lecarrow but 98 is a non starter.
    I use a feed from a €34 tv ariel ( how's that for tech jargon ) in the attic.

Midland 103 would drive a body to drink.
    Mind you I might listen to it later with a Bacardi and Coke. :D

I wonder if i tried connecting up to the actual TV aerial outside the house would it be any good?

• Advertisement
Advertisement